Windows 10: Windows 10 upgrade from Windows 7 failed (Samsung Q330)

Discus and support Windows 10 upgrade from Windows 7 failed (Samsung Q330) in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I just got prompted to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 on my Samsung Q330 laptop. The upgrade downloaded and I watched the upgrade process go from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by itm, Aug 5, 2015.

1. ITM
    itm Win User

Windows 10 upgrade from Windows 7 failed (Samsung Q330)

I just got prompted to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 on my Samsung Q330 laptop. The upgrade downloaded and I watched the upgrade process go from 0-100%. The machine then started to reboot and there was a "loading files" message, but it then hung with the new Windows 10 logo displayed. There was 15 minutes of no activity (i.e. no hard disk activity) so I forced a power down and restarted. The first 3 times I restarted it booted into the Windows 7 login screen, but powered off automatically before I had the chance to enter my password. The 4th time it allowed me to login (to Windows 7), and I'm now back to where I started (i.e. with exactly the same Windows 7 environment that I had before I started).

I just repeated the above process and got exactly the same result, with the exception that this time I did NOT force a shutdown after it hung with the Windows 7 logo (after the "loading files" message). This time the machine shut down by itself after about 10 minutes.
    Any idea how I can get the upgrade done?

:)

2. phit03 Win User

Windows 10 upgrade fails on samsung q330 laptop

Windows 10 upgrade fails on my Samsung Q330 laptop. It hangs after reboot with just the windows logo showing.

Apparently this is caused by the Broadcom wireless card and is common to a number of Samsung laptops.

Other users have been able to remove the wireless card to complete the upgrade but this is not possible with a Q330 as the card is not accessible without completely dis-assembling the laptop. I tried but could not get the top and bottom of the case to come
    apart so gave up for fear of damaging the laptop.

I contacted Samsung support a month ago and they said that they are aware of the problem and are working with Microsoft to fix the problem.

Any other Samsung Q330 owners out there been able to upgrade successfully and if so what did you do?

phit03, Aug 5, 2015
  3. Windows 10 upgrade from Windows 7 failed (Samsung Q330)

If anyone wondering. Samsung Q330 with original wifi card. Just tried upgrade drivers, upgrade to windows 10. Issue persists as described. Not Samsung or Microsoft seem to fixed it. Understandable, no profit on maintaining drivers for 2011 laptops... Well
    windows 7 is here to stay.

João Simões Martins, Aug 5, 2015
  4. hawsie Win User

Success!
    After 6 attempts to upgrade from Win7, it finally worked. The first attempts I got a different error code each time.
    This time, it worked. Here is what I did:

Go to start menu, type "msconfig"
    click on start tab and disable every non system program, especially antivirus and malware protection
    Apply and close window.
    Disconnect all external usb devices like printers and hard drives. eSATA ones too,
    Reboot and try it again. Worked for me with a dinosaur 8 year old system.

hawsie, Aug 5, 2015
  5. ITM
    itm Win User
    Thanks for the suggestion I used Msconfig to disable everything except:
    - Intel Common User Interface
    - Realtek HD Audio Manager
    - Synaptics Pointing Device Driver.
    It didn't help - I got the same result. One difference last time was that I got a BSOD (although it did reboot when I tried again).

I then noticed that Msconfig was not actually disabling AVG Internet Security. I ticked the box to disable it, but when I click Apply the box re-ticks itself. Looks like I need to uninstall AVG to stop it from auto-starting....

6. ITM
    itm Win User
    So I un-installed AVG and tried again....exactly the same result. I noticed an error code of c1900101-20017 in the Windows update history. Does that mean anything to anyone?

7. hawsie Win User

hawsie, Aug 6, 2015
  8. hawsie Win User

Hey, I was so excited that it finally worked, that I actually failed to mention the most important thing. I have edited my first post.
    I used Windows Dolnload Tool, and burned an .iso of WIN 10 to a DVD..http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softw...load/windows10. After I disabled start menu items and removed peripheral hard drives, I rebooted, loaded the disk, opened it and ran "setup". My system rebooted after the upgrade and began downloading files again.
    This time it rebooted 3 times during upgrade and finally works.
    I just tried it again with USB stick on one of my old laptops, where it failed to install normally yesterday.
    Again, it worked! Yes, you have to go through the upgrade process twice, but it's worth it.Good Luck! Let me know what happens!

hawsie, Aug 6, 2015
  9. ITM
    itm Win User
    Thanks. So I downloaded and burned the ISO as you suggested. I tried running setup, but after the first reboot it hung on the Windows 10 logo (just like before), then shut down after about 10 minutes. So next time I tried to boot directly from the DVD - again it hung on the Windows 10 logo.
    ???

10. ITM
    itm Win User
    I just rebooted back into Windows 7 and it showed this message:
    "We couldn't install Windows 10 0xC1900101 - 0x20017
    The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during the BOOT operation"

11. poset Win User
    I'm having the same problem with my daughter's Q330. I'll start with updating the BIOS. Then I'll start the system clean (disabling all startup items and non-MS services and then rebooting) If it does not help, I'll be disabling devices in the BIOS, one by one, starting from nVidia. I am installing from an USB key created in the Media Creation Tool.

poset, Aug 6, 2015
  12. ITM
    itm Win User
    I tried the BIOS update, then disabling wifi in the BIOS. Still no luck. Unfortunately I'm now unable to boot back into Windows 7 - I get a bootloop/BSOD which flashes up too quickly to read.
    Let me know how you get on

13. geoffers Win User

Just to join the group of frustrated Q330 users - have attempted to upgrade to W10 3 times but each time it freezes at the window logo after reaching "Configuring update for Windows 10" 100% > restarting > brief "Loading Files" progress bar at the bottom then just sits there with the window in the middle.

Other Q330 users with exactly the same problem here > http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...1-2affe25e1e9d

geoffers, Aug 6, 2015
  14. geoffers Win User
    Spent nearly 2 hrs last night with MS tech support (in the Phillipenes), but with no result *Sad

Tried disabling the start services in msconfig - Ended up downloading the 2GB installation for the fourth time, but still resulted in the same outcome

Keep us posted if anyone finds a way round this...

<edit> Just found this - haven't had a detailed look yet, but may give some clues to unsupported devices etc
    http://www.samsung.com/us/windows10/upgrade_windows10.pdf

geoffers, Aug 7, 2015
  15. js1662 Win User
    I have a strong feeling that the problem you are facing with your Q330 is similar to the problem that others including me that are facing with our Samsung RC-510. As mentioned on the link you given, the problem should be related to the Broadcom wifi card used on the notebook. The only fix at present is to physically remove the wifi card before you upgrade to Windows 10. One member with another Samsung model can put back the wifi card after upgraded to Windows 10 and works normally. But it doesn't work for me after putting back the wifi card and I have to keep on removing the wifi card for my RC-510. Take a look at this thread for more information: Samsung RC510 - Got stuck at windows logo when trying to boot into USB - Windows 10 Forums

Good luck!

js1662, Aug 7, 2015
Thema:

1. Windows 10 upgrade from Windows 7 failed (Samsung Q330) - Similar Threads - upgrade failed Samsung

2. Failed upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 v2004

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Failed upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 v2004: I wish to upgrade my 2010 Sony Vaio W7Pro x64bit to W10 Pro. I have tried two methods: from the website, making a Creation Tool, and a W10 Pro v2004 x64bit media DVD. Both processes run almost to the end but neither will complete. I get a variety of error messages, the most...
  3. windows 10 from 7 upgrade failed.

windows 10 from 7 upgrade failed.: i'm trying to upgrade two computers for a friend. she has a lot of crap installed and has bad eyesight so doesn't want to go through the hassle of reinstalling it all, so i am upgrading them for her. we did the desktop, an older dell but the laptop, an xps l702x failed. i...
  4. Failed upgrade from Windows 7 to 10

Failed upgrade from Windows 7 to 10: Hello everyone,, I was doing the upgrade on a Win7Ult 64-bit desktop earlier today, and reached the point where I confirmed deletion of MSE and then the Windows 10 Pro installation screen began incrementing slowly -- until it crashed with a small window that simply stated...
  5. Failed windows 10 upgrade from windows 7

Failed windows 10 upgrade from windows 7: I keep getting this message: WindowsUpdate_C1900101" "WindowsUpdate_dt000" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/failed-windows-10-upgrade-from-windows-7/a582d206-422c-41c1-a883-2a8266d0a301
  6. Upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 fails

Upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 fails: Hi I am running Windows 7 on a Lenovo Thinkpad. I am using the Windows 10 download/install tool from https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10ISO However, the upgrade fails with error: 0x80070008 - 0x3001A. The installation failed in FIRST_BOOT phase...
  7. Upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7 Fails

Upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7 Fails: I'm trying to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and keep getting the following error: 0x80070005 - 0x2000A The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during PREPARE_FIRST_BOOT operation. Am I using the "Create Windows 10 installation media" tool - Yes...
  8. Failed upgrade from Windows 7 to 10

Failed upgrade from Windows 7 to 10: I was doing the upgrade on a Win7Ult 64-bit desktop earlier today, and reached the point where I confirmed deletion of MSE and then the Windows 10 Pro installation screen began incrementing slowly -- until it crashed with a small window that simply stated "The installation...
  9. Failed upgrade from windows 7 to 10

Failed upgrade from windows 7 to 10: We couldn’t install Windows 10. We’ve set your PC back to the way it was right before you started installing Windows 10. 0xC1900101 - 0x30018 The installation failed in the FIRST_BOOT phase with an error during SYSPREP operation I have the saved file if you require....
  10. Samsung Laptop R590, Upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 fails error 0xC1900101 - 0x200017

Samsung Laptop R590, Upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 fails error 0xC1900101 - 0x200017: Dear Support Team, Why does Microsoft skip check the hardware or do not provide a clear statement that not all hardware support Upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10? For examples, there are several families of Samsung laptops (my case is R590) with Broadcom Wlan card that...