Windows 10: Windows 10 Upgrade Installation Help

Discus and support Windows 10 Upgrade Installation Help in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello all, I am trying to snag the W10 Free Upgrade before it runs out on my Windows 7 machine. I've tried the process twice now and both times it gets... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by D3struction, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Windows 10 Upgrade Installation Help

Hello all, I am trying to snag the W10 Free Upgrade before it runs out on my Windows 7 machine. I've tried the process twice now and both times it gets to roughly 90% or so through the entire thing and then reboots into "Restoring a previous version of windows" so clearly something is going wrong. I can post any error log requested, just let me know what it's called and where it's at. I would really rather not do a "clean" install because of the large amounts of files I have on here and the lack of a decent sized external to save what I want currently. I am also running off an OEM key so i'm not sure if I need to upgrade directly from 7 or if i could even do a clean install. In either case, help getting this upgrader working or telling me what's going wrong would be appreciated. My DxDiag is attached below if that's any help but i'm sure you're gonna need some logs to see what's up. Thanks!

:)

D3struction, Jul 7, 2016

2. Facillity at Zero

Specialization in replies:

Step1

Step2

Step3etc

Installation Guide Windows 10, Jul 7, 2016
  3. Windows10 upgrade

windows 10 free upgrade, Jul 7, 2016
  4. CountMike New Member

Windows 10 Upgrade Installation Help

Is your W7 updated and clean of any system errors ? If you have any third party resident antivirus and other resident security programs, uninstall them.
    You can also download W10 ISO from MS and try upgrading from it. All you have to do is to open ISO files to a USB memory stick and start setup.exe from it, no need to make it bootable or boot from it.

CountMike, Jul 7, 2016
  5. cereberus Win User
    It is slightly easier to use media creation tool to create a usb stick and insert in pc and run setup.exe as Windows 7 does not support native mounting of isos (W8+) and OP would need a third party tool to do this.

cereberus, Jul 7, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    It's also a good idea to run a complete disc cleanup before upgrading. I like to use option 2 here:
    Disk Cleanup - Open and Use in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

To keep from having to memorize the command line or going back to that post, I just created a .bat file with the command line in it and run the .bat file as administrator when I want to cleanup the disc.

NavyLCDR, Jul 7, 2016
  7. Uninstalled Avast and made a usb then ran setup.exe, all went well thanks.

D3struction, Jul 8, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Glad it worked for you! Avast causes much more problems than it "solves", at least historically on these forums.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Upgrade Installation Help - Similar Threads - Upgrade Installation Help

2. need help installing windows upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    need help installing windows upgrade: help install windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-help-installing-windows-upgrade/d30f41f1-be1c-4394-99d6-1696fd7c5d55
  3. need help installing windows upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    need help installing windows upgrade: help install windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-help-installing-windows-upgrade/d30f41f1-be1c-4394-99d6-1696fd7c5d55
  4. need help installing windows upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows 10 upgrade help

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 upgrade help: Hi, I have a laptop I want to upgrade from Windows 7 Professional to Windows 10. It runs windows 7 pro well since it came with it. I have checked their required specs and looks like W7 and W10 have the same requirements. Shouldn't W10 need better specs? I also need help on...
  6. Help with Windows 10 installation after RAM “upgrade”

Help with Windows 10 installation after RAM “upgrade”: So, some detail for how I got here. I got two RAM sticks a few days ago, and added them to my MSI B450 motherboard. However, after that was done, I got blue screens galore, saying the windows couldn’t boot. So I went to the bios, changed ram speed (2400Mhz DDR4 from 2133)...
  7. Windows 10 upgrade help

Windows 10 upgrade help: Having some frustrating troubles trying to update my Windows 10. My current version is 1803, trying to update to 1909. However, as I go through the setup, I get to the step where it asks what to keep and everything is grayed our except “Nothing: Everything will be deleted,...
  8. help with windows 10 upgrade

in Windows 10 Support
    help with windows 10 upgrade: Hello, Am a new member of Windows 10 Forums. Recently was upgraded automatically by microsoft, from 8.1 to 10. Having difficulty understanding 10. Started over 8 years ago, on Windows Vista Home Premium. More or less learned on that system. Constantly learning, or trying...
  9. Windows 10 upgrade help.

Windows 10 upgrade help.: I am going to help a senior friend of mine update his windows 8.1 The white windows logo is on the lower right hand corner. I have a windows install dvd with Build 10586 on it and I am wondering if that would be a quicker way to upgrade. I want to get it so there will not...
  10. windows 10 upgrade help

windows 10 upgrade help: Help cannot upgrade to windows 10 from windows 7, Fails at 25% with error 0XC1900101 - 0X20004. How can I get around this error and any ideas what is causing error. 13415