Windows 10: Windows 10 upgrade installing on recovery partition.

Discus and support Windows 10 upgrade installing on recovery partition. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Windows 10 is downloading to my win 8 recovery partition and before it's complete it tells me the recovery partition is full, which it is. I've run... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by hwally, Jun 8, 2016.

1. hwally Win User

Windows 10 upgrade installing on recovery partition.

Windows 10 is downloading to my win 8 recovery partition and before it's complete it tells me the recovery partition is full, which it is. I've run disc clean up and still no luck. Any way to get win 10 to download to another partition?

:)

hwally, Jun 8, 2016
  2. GunSmoker Win User

Why are there duplicate 450MB recovery partitions on Windows 10?

AFAIK, Windows 10 uses the different layout for recovery partition, thus it is unable to reuse recovery partition from previous Windows installation.

This does not happen if you do a clean install of Windows 10. This happens only if you upgrade your existing Windows installation (Win8.1, etc.). I have
    verified this by comparing clean installation of Windows 10 with Win8.1 -> Win10 upgrade. Googling around also reveals many other people with the same issue - often resulting in over 5+ recovery partitions created (during various reverts/upgrades).

In other words, one of these partitions is created by Windows 10 for itself, another one is simply the old recovery partition from Win8.1 or whatever was installed before.

You can identify currently active recovery partition by issuing:

reagentc /info

command in elevated command promt.

P.S. "delete old Windows files" in Disk Cleanup does not delete old recovery partition (it only erases Windows.old on file system).

See also: The Recovery Partition After Upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 7/8.

GunSmoker, Jun 8, 2016
  3. if you upgrade to Win 10 from a OEM Win 8 Computer be aware

if you upgrade to Win 10 from a OEM Win 8 Computer be aware

if you have a OEM Windows 8 computer (Hewlett-Packard,Acer,Toshiba ect.) and installed Windows 8.1

it adds a extra 350mb recovery partition

now if you had to restore back to Windows 8 from the OEM recovery Partition the extra 350mb recovery

gets left on the hard drive

now from a fresh install back to Windows 8 from the OEM recovery partition you upgrade to Windows 8.1 it adds another 350mb recovery partition so now there is 2 350mb recovery partition and if you keep going back to Windows 8 from the OEM recovery partition
    and upgrade to Windows 8.1 it adds another

Windows defrag see's these 350mb recovery partition as Local Disk (\\?\VOLUME and can not defrag them

i asked this question on July 8

upgrade to Win 10 but Too Many Recovery Partitions from Win 8.1

Jayant Gupta a Microsoft Support Engineer in this post say's

" i would like to provide you with the information that, if you have another HD then I would suggest you to re-install the OS and get ready to upgrade to Windows 10. Having too many reserved partitions might cause Windows 10 upgrade to fail "

upgrade to Win 10 but Too Many Recovery Partitions from Win 8.1

please be aware if you plan to upgrade to Windows 10

Windows 10 upgrade installing on recovery partition. :)

James

lurkingatu2, Jun 8, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

What method are you using to download Windows 10? Set your browser to ask where to download files each time - that varies by the browser - and download the ISO file from Tech Bench. That way you can choose where to download the ISO file to:

Download Windows 10 ISO from TechBench - Windows 10 Forums

NavyLCDR, Jun 8, 2016
  5. Steve C Win User
    You shouldn't be storing anything on the recovery partition. +1 for the Tech Bench ISO.

Steve C, Jun 8, 2016
  6. What method are you using to upgrade?

Windows Update ... Get Windows 10 (GWX icon) ... or the web: Windows - Microsoft ?

I'd also like to see your Disk Management - Windows might choose the partition with the most free space - it shouldn't use the Recovery part, but ....

Step 1: Download this zip file (contains dmDskmgr-vd.mmc)

dmDskmgr-vd.zip
    Step 2: Double click dmDskmgr-vd.zip to open the compressed folder
    Double click dmDskmgr-vd.mmc to launch the custom Disk Management console
    You'll get an output similar to this:

Windows 10 upgrade installing on recovery partition. [​IMG]

Press Alt+PrtScn to grab a snapshot of just the Disk Management window
    Open Paint and Ctrl+V to paste it, then save the image
    Attach the image to a new post.

Slartybart, Jun 8, 2016
  7. hwally Win User
    The install was from Microsoft over the internet. I ended up manually clearing out enough of the files in recovery to allow the download. Windows 10 is up and running. I do plan to study the process you suggested for future reference. Thank you for your attention and intelligent response.

hwally, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 upgrade installing on recovery partition. - Similar Threads - upgrade installing recovery

2. Windows Recovery Partition after Upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Recovery Partition after Upgrade: Seems every time Windows does a major upgrade it adds another recovery partition.They aren't that large by them selves but add them up to over 1 gb. I can really use that space.Can anyone explain this?James[Original Title: Another Partitions Question]...
  3. Windows Recovery Partition after Upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Recovery Partition after Upgrade: Seems every time Windows does a major upgrade it adds another recovery partition.They aren't that large by them selves but add them up to over 1 gb. I can really use that space.Can anyone explain this?James[Original Title: Another Partitions Question]...
  4. Windows 10 Recovery Partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Recovery Partition: When I try to reset my Asus VivoBook 2018 model I get the message Insert your installation or recovery media and restart your pc before it used to just restart and recover the system...
  5. Windows 10 install recovery from partition

Windows 10 install recovery from partition: This makes 0 sense to me. I booted my installing/recovery from a fixed partition on a usb hard drive using thr bootsect and make partition active feature. My image consists of my ssd wirh the c drive and recovery partitioms rhat were backed up. Upon trying to onstall my image...
  6. Have a recovery partition, How to install 10 on another partition?

Have a recovery partition, How to install 10 on another partition?: I have a windows 10 working just fine on a new gaming PC. I want to use the same recovery partition, Only to create a new instance of the OS on another partition on the same hard drive. I know how to format/repartition the drive. I want to do this so I can use a copy of...
  7. windows 10 Anniversary upgrade created a recovery partition

windows 10 Anniversary upgrade created a recovery partition: Hi , after windows 10 anniversary upgrade installation i ran Disk Management and found a new created Recovery Partition as shown in picture . 845 MB , Healthy (Recovery partition). Is it necessary or can I delete it ? The Upgrade installation has been absolutely successful...
  8. Windows 10 upgrade makes huge recovery partition

Windows 10 upgrade makes huge recovery partition: Hi, My Dell venue pro 11 tablet comes with a 32gb inbuilt space with windows 8.1. Then I got the free windows 10 upgrade which went smoothly. But now the problem is after the upgrade there was very little space left in my Cdrive. The recovery partition takes up 6.5gb of...
  9. Fresh Install Windows 10 - Recovery Partition

Fresh Install Windows 10 - Recovery Partition: Hi, I have an ASUS which came with 8.1 OEM. I upgraded to Win 10 and now am about to do a fresh install of Win 10 (using this tool: Windows 10) on it. It has 2 recovery partitions 20 GB and 500 MB. Q1. During fresh install, do I need to delete both recovery...
  10. Delete recovery partition after upgrade?

Delete recovery partition after upgrade?: I upgraded a HP notebook to Win10 Home from Win 8.1. I would like to remove the OEM recovery partition. The Disk Management console shows the EFI partition, then the system partition (C), then a recovery partition of about 7GB. There is no Delete or resize option available on...