Windows 10: Windows 10 upgrade major fail

Discus and support Windows 10 upgrade major fail in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My system is repeatedly trying to download W10 and fails every time. I must have 20 or more failed attempts in Windows Update since midnight the 28th... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Gword, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Gword Win User

Windows 10 upgrade major fail

My system is repeatedly trying to download W10 and fails every time. I must have 20 or more failed attempts in Windows Update since midnight the 28th of July.
    Today I tried every path to achieve successful download I can see in this forum, yes every single recommendation and they all failed.
    I tried the direct download path from Microsoft and this is what I get:

Windows 10 upgrade major fail [​IMG]

I have no idea what this means.
    Is there a way to fix this?
    My system specs:
    Operating System: Windows 8.1 64 bit
    Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
    CPU: AMD FX8320 8 Core CPU 3.5- 4.9Ghz
    Graphics: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X
    Memory: Team Zeus DDR3 16Gb
    SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500Gb
    HDD: WD 1000Gb Black
    External HDD: WD 1000Gb My Book
    OD: Pioneer Blu-ray Drive combo.
    PSU: EVGA 850W modular Gold certified
    Thanks.

Edit:
    Okay so I was using my original install disc to see if I could repair anything and I get this:

Of course I have Windows 8.1 installed from this very disc. As can be seen here:

So now my last option is to increase size of system reserved partition. I don't know how to do this. Which partition needs to be increased in size and where can I find instructions for this online? My disk management tool shows this:

Thanks

:)

Gword, Jul 29, 2015

2. Major fail with Windows 10 Upgrade

I was able to chat with a Microsoft tech support person who essentially guided me through the same steps, and the problem was resolved. Thanks for your help!

LarryPeterson_833, Jul 29, 2015
  3. Major fail with Windows 10 Upgrade

I accepted the online upgrade for my Fujitsu laptop, from 7 Home Premium. The upgrade seemed to complete. However, when it finally boots to the home screen, the task bar is black with a windows icon on the lower left and very little else. None of my
    icons are coming up and the background window just flashes off and on. The cursor indicates that the PC is busy doing something, but it never gets past that point. The mouse will move, but is otherwise unresponsive. I can Ctrl-Alt-Del to see those options
    but that's it. What can I do to rescue my machine???!!!

LarryPeterson_833, Jul 29, 2015
  4. Ztruker Win User

Did you reserve a copy using the Get Windows 10 icon in the system tray? If you open that now, what does it tell you about the compatibility of you computer?

Ztruker, Jul 29, 2015
  5. brainout Win User
    It's saying you have an mbr problem (aka 'system reserved partition', their new name for it). So run chkdsk /f /r and also your original Windows repair/reinstallation disk, if chkdsk doesn't resolve the problem (sometimes a bad sector not in the mbr makes the mbr go wonky). Or, come to bleepingcomputer.com and maybe someone can help you. I don't know more than this, myself. Those guys specialize in mbr troubleshooting.

The other problem is that maybe you have old files left over from previous attempts to install. Maybe in $windows.BT (I am not sure what the name will be on your machine) or in the Windows Software Distribution folder? Folks here know about that, I'm only learning about it as I read.

My own Win10 installation went well as an Insider, so I don't have a personal 'today' experience to draw on. Hope this helps...

brainout, Jul 29, 2015
  6. Mystere Win User
    Your system reserved partition must be large enough. Depending on when the partition was created, it may have been created with a smaller size than Windows 10 needs. You may have to re-partition things a bit. I believe the size it needs is 450MB.

Mystere, Jul 29, 2015
  7. brainout Win User
    Yes, 450 mb. 350 mb for Win8.1, and that might be the issue except it worked fine in my dual boot. The other 450mb is inside the Win10 partition, on my machine. I did not configure it, but let it do its 'thing'.

brainout, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 upgrade major fail - Similar Threads - upgrade major fail

2. Windows 11 upgrade - MAJOR ISSUES

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 upgrade - MAJOR ISSUES: I've looked at upgrading my PC to Win11 today and found I can't as the CPU Intel Core i-5 6400T @ 2.2Ghz is not compatible. Everything else is A-OK, for my 4 year old PC. Is there a program to review processors or is the compatibility list the be-all-and-end-all with no...
  3. Upgrading major version of windows.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Upgrading major version of windows.: I need help with upgrading major version of windows. I am on Win 10 pro 64-bit version 1903, and nothing else is being offered in Settings->Windows Update. I have read all sorts of instructions on microsoft's site, and can't find anything concrete or understandable. The...
  4. Major hardware upgrade. Cannot activate Windows 10.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Major hardware upgrade. Cannot activate Windows 10.: Hello, Just did a major hardware upgrade on my pc, but I'm unable to activate Windows 10. I did the free Windows 10 upgrade back in the day - my Windows 8 copy was a digital purchase I have the license. I do not remember receiving a license for the free Windows 10 upgrade...
  5. Major disaster after Windows 10 Upgrade

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Major disaster after Windows 10 Upgrade: Here is what happened. I just upgraded my Desktop from Windows 7 Pro to 10 today, keeping all my pre-installed applications. Very long process probably because it wasn't an install on a virgin drive, but an upgrade to 10, but it worked. Then I tried to run Outlook 2010, and...
  6. No major upgrades since 1803??

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    No major upgrades since 1803??: I came here to trying figuring out why my computer hadn't upgraded to 1809 yet (waiting since October), only to see there's a 1903! *Eek*Eek What could be causing me to not get these upgrades? I always allow upgrades, and receive the regular security updates. Can anyone give...
  7. Any major Windows update fails

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Any major Windows update fails: I bought an ASUS Zenbook 3 years ago at a Microsoft Store. So far any major Windows 10 update (1511, 1607 and now 1803) failed. Twice I re-installed Windows 10 to get the latest update, but I'm sick of it now. The update is trying to install and keeps failing over and over. I...
  8. Windows 10 a major FAIL

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 a major FAIL: Now they have removed Homegroup... Windows 10 has become a major fail in my opinion. Printer drivers don't work, can't set up your network, have to share individual files only. Edge is a mess.. Every time they do an update, something else is removed, and it doesn't work. I...
  9. Windows 10 a major FAIL

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 a major FAIL: Now they have removed Homegroup... Windows 10 has become a major fail in my opinion. Printer drivers don't work, can't set up your network, have to share individual files only. Edge is a mess.. Every time they do an update, something else is removed, and it doesn't work. I...
  10. Windows 10 hardware upgrade has major problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 hardware upgrade has major problem: Warning: DO NOT upgrade the hardware on your Windows 10 machine. There is a serious issue with Windows 10 activation. Background: I upgraded my main system from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and it activated fine -- no problems. Last week I upgraded my hardware, from an old...