Windows 10: Windows 10 upgrade messed up and no way of reverting to 7

Discus and support Windows 10 upgrade messed up and no way of reverting to 7 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Do you have a spare disk? If you do, install Windows 7 there, activate and produce the activation token as described in the link I gave you. Then... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by printman, Oct 26, 2015.

1. spapakons Win User

Windows 10 upgrade messed up and no way of reverting to 7

Do you have a spare disk? If you do, install Windows 7 there, activate and produce the activation token as described in the link I gave you. Then connect your disk back and use token to activate Windows 10.

spapakons, Oct 28, 2015
  2. bobkn Win User

I'm confused.

If you ever had the Win10 upgrade activated on the machine, you should be able to do a clean Win10 installation on the same hardware and have it automatically activate online. No key is needed. (No key is available. Also, Win 10 can't activate using the key from the older OS.)

If your clean Win 10 installation wouldn't activate, that suggests that your upgrade install wasn't activated.

Some of this is supposed to change with the next major update to Win 10, sometimes called "Threshold 2", perhaps in November.

bobkn, Oct 28, 2015
  3. spapakons Win User
    Yes it should activate, provided he has chosen the correct version when skipping the key. If he should install Home and he chose Pro by mistake (or vice versa) then it would not activate.

spapakons, Oct 28, 2015
  4. jds63 Win User

Confusion gets even worse when questions are asked and not answered as i have asked certain questions to understand it better myself. MS Support told me once when i had issues with clean reinstall of Windows 8.1 that my key was not genuine even though it was, same as what they are telling thread starter for part of the reasons. Moral to my story, sometimes support not helpful at all and after my second attempt it was fine as i knew it would of been.

jds63, Oct 28, 2015
  5. spapakons Win User
    I know! I have tried many times to get support from big companies like Microsoft, Adobe, HP etc. Most times they take ages to reply (IF they reply) and then they will tell you things you already know! They suggest things you have already tried, like they are reading some general troubleshooting instructions from a list and they do not fully understand what you have asked for! It's good that here in tenforums (and sevenforums and eightforums) reply is almost instant with a true will to help you! They always have something useful to say to help you with your problem and they truly care! Thank you everyone!

spapakons, Oct 29, 2015
  6. printman Win User
    Issue now resolved but with much difficulty, but thank you all for your input and suggestions. I finished up by wiping and reformatting the drive and because my Win 7 was an upgrade I had to start by installing Vista and then "upgrade" to 7 but for some reason 7 would not update but it would, and did activate. However, updates would not install. In desperation I used the usb iso I had made earlier to upgrade to 10 and was able to accomplish this and also activate Windows 10. I am not now intending doing a clean install cos of the old saying of if it ain't broke etc., and the fact that I have spent hours getting to this point. I also copied the partition with Acronis prior to installing any of my programs. All the device drivers downloaded and seem to work as they should.
    The basic problem was caused by Microsoft not recognizing the validity of the product key in 7.

printman, Nov 3, 2015
  7. spapakons Win User
    Product keys can normally activate 2-3 times on the same hardware. If you change hardware or exceed this number, then you have to do it by phone.

spapakons, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 upgrade messed up and no way of reverting to 7 - Similar Threads - upgrade messed reverting

2. Windows 10 is messed up.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 is messed up.: my Windows 10 is all messed up. I am going through and trying to fix piece by piece. Right now my file explorer is stuck on my taskbar. I am getting an error saying this file has no application associated with it. So, I looked up online how to fix, and I went to the Registry...
  3. Reverting to Windows 7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reverting to Windows 7: I need to revert my laptop back to Windows 7 unfortunately the laptop has been handed down a couple of times and so the original disc has long been lost. I have tried downloading the ISO from the Microsoft software download page however the website returns an error message...
  4. Update Messed up everything, cant revert.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Update Messed up everything, cant revert.: Recently saw all the posts/news about some Secruity problem and told repeatedly to Update wins10, so for once i did, complete mistake. Games refuse to open, everything i open from jump menu (Steam games, notepad files, etc.) either don't launch or 'bout 3 mins to actually...
  5. Names are messed up in Windows 7

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Names are messed up in Windows 7: Hi Microsoft, my computer got a virus called REGFu** and I am trying to clean my system up. However, some names of apps and settings got messed up:[ATTACH] I am running Windows 7 SP1. I would be grateful if you could help me fix this. Thanks, Orange Group Tech...
  6. Upgraded from Win 7 to 10. Sound is a mess.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Upgraded from Win 7 to 10. Sound is a mess.: Hi Everyone, I am new to the Forum, I've been using Win 7 for a very long time. I was hoping someone could help me out! I recently upgraded and my Sub-Woofer doesn't work anymore. I have a Logitech 2.1 ch system plugged into the green rear 3.5mm jack on my mother board. My...
  7. Windows 10 revert to 7?

Windows 10 revert to 7?: I had windows 8.1 it was kinda messed up so i upraded to 10 even tho i regret it. now when i look at the revert option it shows windows 7 and not 8.1 i have never had windows 7 on this comp since the drivers made for the comp are for 8. im guessing if i tried the reset to...
  8. Revert to Windows 7

Revert to Windows 7: Upgrade to Windows 10 2 weeks ago, fine except 2 progs I use won't work in WIndows 10, plus one is no longer supported. Since I still have the Windows.old folder, and within the 4 week option I should be able to restore Windows 7. However within Settings/Recovery where I...
  9. I Need Assistance Reverting to Windows 7 from Windows 10 "Upgrade"

I Need Assistance Reverting to Windows 7 from Windows 10 "Upgrade": I have a Lenovo B560 laptop on loan to me from my job. It was lent to me as a Windows 7 (pre-installed) machine and has the product key on the bottom. A well-meaning member of my household “upgraded” the computer to Windows 10 via the “Get Windows 10” upgrade offer that...
  10. upgrade to 10, revert to 7, then back to 10

upgrade to 10, revert to 7, then back to 10: I have upgraded all of my one-generation-back Win boxes, but want to ease into 10 at leisure. As I understand it, the registry is modified at the first upgrade to 10 with the activation "approval", but I am concerned that this will be lost upon reversion to the earlier...