Windows 10: Windows 10 Upgrade Set All Folders to Read Only and Can't Change

Discus and support Windows 10 Upgrade Set All Folders to Read Only and Can't Change in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am desperately needing help. I have a desktop PC that I built (ASUS motherboard, Intel i3 (first generation), Nvidia graphics card, 500 GB WD HD. It... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by SpaceCadet, May 16, 2016.

1. Windows 10 Upgrade Set All Folders to Read Only and Can't Change

I am desperately needing help. I have a desktop PC that I built (ASUS motherboard, Intel i3 (first generation), Nvidia graphics card, 500 GB WD HD. It ran Windows 7 Pro. I upgraded to Windows 10 last week. Since then all the options in several of my programs (SpeedCommander, qBittorrent, MS Office 2010, Firefox, etc.) keep resetting every time I rebooted the computer. I tried to uninstall the programs, so I can reinstall them, but Windows 10 won't let me uninstall the programs. I tried to overwrite the programs by installing over them, but they failed also. Firefox is a Portable program, so I tried to delete it, but I couldn't delete it either. I checked the properties and found that the folders were somehow set to "Read Only". I unchecked the "Read Only" and applied to all the subfolders and they went through successfully. I tried to delete Portable Firefox again, but it failed again. I tried to uninstall qBittorrent and it also failed again. I checked the properties again and all the folders were again "Read Only". I set the options for Word 2010 the way I want it, then unchecked the "Read Only" and applied again. Then I rebooted the computer in hope that everything will be fixed. Once the computer was fully up, I checked the options for Word 2010 and I lost all the options I set again. I checked all the folders and they were back to "Read Only". I tried everything I can think of and I consider myself as knowledgeable to be dangerous, but I couldn't figure this problem out. Please help!

:)

SpaceCadet, May 16, 2016
  2. Matt Lynx Win User

Read only not set on ALL folders

All files suddenly set to read only and upgrade to Windows 10. Can't do a Save or Save-as with any of my own documents and I am the administrator !!! Why does Windows 10 do this ?? How can I change all folders so I can Save changes to documents ??

Matt Lynx, May 16, 2016
  3. Read-only

Hello,

Windows 10 recently updated and whereas all was working fine before the update, everything seems set to read only. I can't make new folders anywhere, not on the desktop, and not on any of the partitions or removable drives. I can create new word documents
    and save them to my c drive or my primary data partition.

I have windows 10 home version 1709; OS Build 16299.192

I've checked for updates with nothing new available.

I've tried this...

Document folders marked read only after upgrade to Windows 10

and this...

Solved: Windows 10 Upgrade Changed All Documents to Read-Only

It runs through change in permissions with several that can't be changed because they're in use or access is denied.

Please help

Grey_Mehcool, May 16, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Windows 10 Upgrade Set All Folders to Read Only and Can't Change

Hello, given what you are reporting, you may prefer to try reverting to Windows 7, which you can within 30 days of the upgrade (and thereafter install Win 10 freely on that hardware). Note that some have found that procedure fails, though.

Your first priority should be to make sure you have a sound backup of any data.

It sounds as though you may have permission problems, but it's only a guess. I don't recall seeing such a problem before.
    As such, you could try using Tweaking.com's repair tool (free) to reset permissions. It has a range of such options. Note the cautious steps, select only repairs you may need. I can't tell you if that will help, however.

If you see any error messages and numbers, you can research the exact text and number.

Standard recommendation: use disk imaging routinely, before and after major changes. E.g. Mactium Reflect (free). That means you have a very good chance of restoring your PC to a previously working state when things go wrong, as they did on my first upgrade attempt when Win 10 didn't let me log in. I restored Win 8 from my disk image.

dalchina, May 16, 2016
  5. Launch Disk Management

Is the status of the drive Online or ReadOnly?

Windows 10 Upgrade Set All Folders to Read Only and Can't Change [​IMG]

You can also check the status in Diskpart

Launch Command Prompt (Admin)
    diskpart
    lis dis
    sel dis # (the 1st drive is disk 0)
    attrib dis (If the read only attributes = YES, then reset the flag)
    attrib dis clear readonly

Windows 10 Upgrade Set All Folders to Read Only and Can't Change [​IMG]

Slartybart, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 Upgrade Set All Folders to Read Only and Can't Change

1. Windows 10 Upgrade Set All Folders to Read Only and Can't Change - Similar Threads - Upgrade Set Folders

2. Windows 10. All folders are suddenly read-only.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10. All folders are suddenly read-only.: Suddenly today 6/28/22 all my folders are read only. I've tried all the suggestions I can find on the internet including:- uninstalling anti-virus software- being logged in as administrator- changing permissions administrator and users- changing the folder attributes- running...
  3. Windows 10. All folders are suddenly read-only.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10. All folders are suddenly read-only.: Suddenly today 6/28/22 all my folders are read only. I've tried all the suggestions I can find on the internet including:- uninstalling anti-virus software- being logged in as administrator- changing permissions administrator and users- changing the folder attributes- running...
  4. Windows 10. All folders are suddenly read-only.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. All Folders Read Only - Cannot Be Changed

All Folders Read Only - Cannot Be Changed: Hello everyone. As the title states, all of my folders throughout windows 10 have set themselves to read only and I am unable to change this back no matter what I try. This is the first time I have wanted to edit something a set of photo's since before Christmas and now I...
  6. All Win 10 files and folders set to read only

All Win 10 files and folders set to read only: All the files and folders on my laptop are set to readonly even new ones I've created myself. There are a number of questions about this on the forum already and I've followed the instructions for setting permissions at admin level and ensuring all folders inherit the...
  7. All Folders Read Only

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    All Folders Read Only: Title explains it all. Every folder on my C:\ or D:\ drives is set to read-only. I am able to change that in the folder properties, but when I go back in after hitting apply it reverts to read-only again. I have tried changing the permissions on each drive, disabling...
  8. All folders are read-only

in Windows 10 Customization
    All folders are read-only: Just today I wanted to change the properties of one file in my music folder, but was unable to. After some digging around I found out that the folder it was in was a read-only folder, upon trying to uncheck the box, then closing it, it reverts itself to read-only. I have...
  9. All Folders Read Only

All Folders Read Only: All folders seem to be listed as Read Only. Do not have third party antivirus. Yes, I already checked Permissions and Ownership Yes, I have already followed every tutorial and suggestion on this site....
  10. all folders are read only

in Windows 10 Support
    all folders are read only: Today I discovered that all my files are read only. I had saved a spreadsheet yesterday, then today I went to open it and it said read only. Then I looked at other files and the read only box was checked. Even when I unchecked it, and closing the property box, when I opened...