Windows 10: Windows 10 Upgrade Started Without Asking

Discus and support Windows 10 Upgrade Started Without Asking in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; My Windows 7 system was subscribed for the upgrade reservation. The little Window 10 icon expanded and said my upgrade was ready to download. I went to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by bpsanborn, Aug 5, 2015.

1. bpsanborn Win User

Windows 10 Upgrade Started Without Asking

My Windows 7 system was subscribed for the upgrade reservation. The little Window 10 icon expanded and said my upgrade was ready to download. I went to Windows Update to watch what was going on. Downloading had started without my permission. After the download was complete it started the upgrade without asking. I closed the window asking for me to agree to the Windows 10 license.

Windows Update then listed the update as "cancelled" and the upgrade was listed as "optional" update. I returned later to check Windows Update and the optional Windows 10 upgrade was "checked" again and had started the upgrade without asking.

Is this normal behavior? We were told that we could exercise our upgrade option anytime in the year. Windows Update seems to be stuffing down my throat. I'll try to "hide" the upgrade if it keeps trying to push itself on to the system

:)

bpsanborn, Aug 5, 2015

2. Update

This morning my windows 10 computer started to upgrade without asking or any popups. after the upgrade was complete it said in the bottom right that I was running windows 10 insider preview 10525, I was in the insider program as well.

CameronLenvik, Aug 5, 2015
  3. Windows 10 upgrade without my consent

Original title: Windows10

I have an unasked for upgrade notice to windows 10 which suddenly appeared on my screen and it tells me that upgrading will start without my say-so. I do not want windows 10 and have never knowingly asked for it and the regrading program will not let me
    cancel the update. What can I do to cancel the upgrade?

peterthompsonSS, Aug 5, 2015
  4. bpsanborn Win User

It did it again. WA turned on the install check mark without my approval and wanted to start the upgrade. I tried "hiding" the optional upgrade and that made WA back off.

bpsanborn, Aug 5, 2015
  5. That's how the reservation works

It downloads win 10 in the background, then prompts you to install it

paulsalter, Aug 5, 2015
  6. bpsanborn Win User
    I just assumed it would give me time to decide when I wanted it to happen. I think 4-6 months from now makes more sense unless Win 10 really settles down and is mostly stable before then. Winter months are good computer hobby months not summer and fall.

bpsanborn, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Upgrade Started Without Asking - Similar Threads - Upgrade Started Without

2. Will windows 10 upgrade to windows 11 without asking? Coming soon: Windows 11, version 22H2.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Will windows 10 upgrade to windows 11 without asking? Coming soon: Windows 11, version 22H2.: In Windows 10 this message appears to me as if it were going to update to windows 11. I have no intention of going to 11 at the moment. Is there any way to stop that update? I never gave permission to switch to windows 11 and the system never asked.Coming soon: Windows 11,...
  3. Will windows 10 upgrade to windows 11 without asking? Coming soon: Windows 11, version 22H2.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Will windows 10 upgrade to windows 11 without asking? Coming soon: Windows 11, version 22H2.: In Windows 10 this message appears to me as if it were going to update to windows 11. I have no intention of going to 11 at the moment. Is there any way to stop that update? I never gave permission to switch to windows 11 and the system never asked.Coming soon: Windows 11,...
  4. Will windows 10 upgrade to windows 11 without asking? Coming soon: Windows 11, version 22H2.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Need to start the computer without it asking me for a PIN

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Need to start the computer without it asking me for a PIN: Hello,I updated Windows and now each time I start the computer is asking me for a PIN each time close and open it or shut it down and start... Im developer trying to make control software based on Windows, so I need the computer to be able to start without asking for a PIN....
  6. Need to start the computer without it asking me for a PIN

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need to start the computer without it asking me for a PIN: Hello,I updated Windows and now each time I start the computer is asking me for a PIN each time close and open it or shut it down and start... Im developer trying to make control software based on Windows, so I need the computer to be able to start without asking for a PIN....
  7. Need to start the computer without it asking me for a PIN

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. XPS 8700 Windows 10 restarting without asking

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    XPS 8700 Windows 10 restarting without asking: Hi! I got this XPS 8700 7 years ago with windows 10 installed and recently it’s been acting horribily. Now out of no where, my computer will shut down and sometimes turn on by itself. I’m looking online and there’s two possible solutions, check and update the drivers, or...
  9. Windows 10 rebooting without asking

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 rebooting without asking: For the nth time my Windows 10 box was rebooted lat night, without my permission, costing my n hours of work, and after I had followed every single thread and set every possible configuration, policy, and registry setting I could find the last time this happened. I did just...
  10. Windows 10 restarts without asking

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 restarts without asking: I was performing a first time start up on steam for Grand Theft Auto V. It was installing 1 of 3 components like all games do from steam. Right in the middle of that it restarted for Windows updates. That is not okay. I thought I conquered this by setting "Choose how updates...