Windows 10: windows 10 upgrade

Discus and support windows 10 upgrade in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi Everyone, i'm hoping you might answer a question. I am buying a new laptop and would like to use my old windows 7 pro upgrade key (legit purchase... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by BladeTurbo, Mar 19, 2016.

1. windows 10 upgrade

Hi Everyone, i'm hoping you might answer a question. I am buying a new laptop and would like to use my old windows 7 pro upgrade key (legit purchase from amazon) to upgrade windows 10 home to pro. i loaded my old laptop back to the original windows 7 home so i'm not using the key 2 times. is this possible?

thank you

:)

BladeTurbo, Mar 19, 2016

2. Windows10 upgrade

windows 10 free upgrade, Mar 19, 2016
  3. Missing Operating System after Windows 10 download

Is there anywhere to download replacement OS for Windows 7 Home Premium? Mine crashed on Windows 10 upgrade.

Windows 10 upgrade frustration, Mar 19, 2016
  4. windows 10 upgrade

Night Hawk, Mar 19, 2016
  5. Thanks Nighthawk. I really want to avoid a clean install since the laptop will have 10 alrerady installed. i'm dropping $2000 on this laptop and don't want to mess it up lol. i did a clean install on my windows 7 laptop using the win10 install on a bootable usb and had no problems using the win7 pro upg key. i was thinking about using the upgrade anytime, but never tried it.

BladeTurbo, Mar 19, 2016
  6. I haven't either so you are not alone there. I mainly deal with custom builds here while I recently upgraded a 7 laptop to 10 last summer and saw a disaster in the making followed by the immediate clean install! Subsequently I replaced the factory 32bit 7 Home Premium with the 10 Home 32bit upgrade replaced by the 32bit clean install followed by a second 64bit clean install. And then found I was unable to shrink the factory primary download any for a small backup partition. The second 64bit clean install followed!

That wasn't the first mess however! The main build being the first when walking into a 10 upgrade intentionally blindly to see what the results... (barf! *Sick argh *Confused ggrrrrr.. *Mad ) would end up being like. And the word "Like" should be omitted! Now with the 7 Pro key if SP1 being the 2011 late release type following SP1 back then you shouldn't run into any problems. SP1 is the actual requiremetn there however.

The GenuineTicket.xml file is something you will still want to grab however in case the activation part doesn't go through for some reason. That will take the present activated status for the 7 HP install however and be applied to a fresh 10 Home install while the 7 Pro key might have to see activation unless being retail not an upgrade or OEM for System Builder type key. Amazon sees a lot of sellers with various OS options as far as keys go. The valid Pro key however can be tried on a Pro download you will now need to replace the previous 10 Home key made up. The Media Creation tool as well as other apps can used to see one edition replace the other since the Threshold 2 update being the 10586.73 build you used was updated since to the 19586.168 after several updates came out. So the new MC tool is what you would now need to grab again. Windows 10 ISO Download - Windows 10 Forums

The Tech Bench Program's download page may not actually see the Threshold 2 but one of the newer Insider Preview builds at this time instead. The key will still work on any of those as well.

Night Hawk, Mar 19, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    1. It doesn't matter if the Windows 7 product key is post-SP1 or not.
    2. Upgrade the Windows 10 Home to Pro by going to settings, update & security, activation screen. Change the product key to Windows 10 Pro generic product key - VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T
    3. Once the upgrade is finished, go back to settings, update & security, activation screen. Change the product key to your Windows 7 Pro product key to activate the Windows 10 Pro.

4. You may get an error stating that the Windows 7 product key is being used on another computer. If that happens then you will have to temporarily install Windows 7 on another hard drive or another partition on that computer. Use phone activation to activate Windows 7 on it. Then you can go back to Windows 10 on that same computer and activate it with the Windows 7 product key.

Two things you can't do, because they don't work:
    Trigger the Windows 10 upgrade from Home to Pro by entering your Windows 7 Pro product key. You have to use the generic Windows 10 Pro product key to trigger the upgrade.
    You can't phone activate Windows 10 with a Windows 7/8/8.1 product key. So if the Windows 7/8/8.1 product key is blocked from automatic internet activation, you have to go back to Windows 7/8/8.1 and activate that over the phone first, then you can activate Windows 10.

NavyLCDR, Mar 19, 2016
  8. windows 10 upgrade

One thing I should mention is that the Upgrade Anytime offer wouldn't apply for 10 on a factory 7 install but likely have been for W8 years back. You can't use that to simply skip over two newer versions as for seeing a free upgrade into Windows 3 versions newer. You will want to review the guide on how to go about upgrading from the Home edition to 10 Pro. Upgrade Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro - Windows 10 Forums

That's the fast option seen there where you buy a new key but some getting theirs for only $40 with a clean install of Pro instead of the retail tag of buying the upgrade offer from the MS store. Speaking of 10 laptops I picked up this one for a song back in January for only $420! Amazon.com: Toshiba Satellite C75D-B7297 17.3-Inch Laptop (Brushed Black): Computers Accessories

That was used to replace a 15" HP 7 laptop upgraded to 10 Home x64 from the 32bit 7 HP seen originally until both drive and display since nothing comes up at post both went. I later confirmed that the drive was doa while a replacement still saw nothing come up on the display at all. The larger screen certainly helped for someone who had just gone through cataract surgery!

Night Hawk, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

windows 10 upgrade

1. windows 10 upgrade - Similar Threads - upgrade

2. Windows 11 Pro upgrade charged twice

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Pro upgrade charged twice: Hi,I've upgraded my system from Windows 11 Home to Pro. However when I went to go purchase this upgrade through the store it didn't prompt me to install until I purchased it a second time. There are 2 charges on that card and my attempts to contact someone for a refund...
  3. Windows 11 Pro upgrade charged twice

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Pro upgrade charged twice: Hi,I've upgraded my system from Windows 11 Home to Pro. However when I went to go purchase this upgrade through the store it didn't prompt me to install until I purchased it a second time. There are 2 charges on that card and my attempts to contact someone for a refund...
  4. Will upgrading to 11 with a possibly broken CMOS battery be bad?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Will upgrading to 11 with a possibly broken CMOS battery be bad?: So, I think my CMOS battery is messed up although it seems to only be effecting the clock, and I am curious about this thought. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/will-upgrading-to-11-with-a-possibly-broken-cmos/f3d3895c-ebfa-4506-85f4-e6d69fdd3a00
  5. Will upgrading to 11 with a possibly broken CMOS battery be bad?

Will upgrading to 11 with a possibly broken CMOS battery be bad?: So, I think my CMOS battery is messed up although it seems to only be effecting the clock, and I am curious about this thought. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/will-upgrading-to-11-with-a-possibly-broken-cmos/f3d3895c-ebfa-4506-85f4-e6d69fdd3a00
  6. Will upgrading to 11 with a possibly broken CMOS battery be bad?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Problems activating secure boot for Win 11 upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problems activating secure boot for Win 11 upgrade: Hi,since the support for Win 10 is ending, I wanted to upgrade my dad's PC from Win 10 to Win 11. I have enabled the TPM chip in BIOS and wanted to do the same for Secure Boot which is required, but couldn't turn off the compatibility mode CSM I believe, turning it off is a...
  8. Problems activating secure boot for Win 11 upgrade

Problems activating secure boot for Win 11 upgrade: Hi,since the support for Win 10 is ending, I wanted to upgrade my dad's PC from Win 10 to Win 11. I have enabled the TPM chip in BIOS and wanted to do the same for Secure Boot which is required, but couldn't turn off the compatibility mode CSM I believe, turning it off is a...
  9. Upgrading Windows 10 2016

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrading Windows 10 2016: Upgrading Windows 10 2016 LTSB to window 10 pro https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrading-windows-10-2016/ee5035d2-b13e-4a8c-97a6-4bfcba3613fa
  10. Upgrading Windows 10 2016

Upgrading Windows 10 2016: Upgrading Windows 10 2016 LTSB to window 10 pro https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrading-windows-10-2016/ee5035d2-b13e-4a8c-97a6-4bfcba3613fa