Windows 10: Windows 10 users should check the Telemetry Re: What Fresh Hell Is...

Discus and support Windows 10 users should check the Telemetry Re: What Fresh Hell Is... in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Windows 10 users should check the Telemetry Re: What Fresh Hell Is This Re: MS Version 1709?? @lehnerus2000 pointed me to this article "Report: Forced... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by phaedruspress, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Windows 10 users should check the Telemetry Re: What Fresh Hell Is...

Windows 10 users should check the Telemetry Re: What Fresh Hell Is This Re: MS Version 1709??
    @lehnerus2000 pointed me to this article "Report: Forced Windows 10 version 1709 upgrades that bypass Windows Update"

https://www.ghacks.net/2018/03/08/re...indows-update/

in my post called What Fresh Hell Is This Re: MS Version 1709??

What Fresh Hell Is This Re: MS Version 1709??

In the Ghacks article it says among other things:

• Tap on the Windows-key, type regedit.exe, and hit the Enter-key. This opens the Windows Registry Editor.
    • Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection
    • Check the AllowTelemetry value. If Data is set to 0, the Diagnostic Data level is set to Security.
    When I do that I see this:

Imgur

I do not see " the AllowTelemetry value." Anyone have any ideas? TIA

:)

phaedruspress, Mar 8, 2018
  2. DanW7 Win User

Can't see my home WiFi

Nice. I find it all comes down to what one is comfortable sharing over telemetry. Although, the telemetry can be encrypted and anonymous, I still feel it needs to be the user's choice whether to share this data or not. It should be built into Windows
    10 Professional as well as just Enterprise having the ability to turn off telemetry. It could be that Microsoft suggests one to have at least basic telemetry sent but with Windows 10 Professional you should have the ability to turn it off as well. This should
    not only be offered in Windows 10 Enterprise. I like Microsoft Security Essentials as well as other programs that I will not mention here to help to safeguard my networks. I even use the "Basic" Telemetry Setting on Microsoft Windows Security Essentials
    because I feel comfortable with that level of sharing and even more so because the program allows me to turn off any sending of data on mal-ware to Microsoft. I think this ability should be allowed in Microsoft Windows 10 Professional as well as just Enterprise.
    The Home User Edition can send the telemetry since it is the cheapest version of Windows and so you cannot expect as many features from that version.

DanW7, Mar 8, 2018
  3. WTFSlim Win User
    What the hell, MS?

I have Windows 7. I was intending to upgrade to Windows 10 before all the privacy implications of Windows 10 became apparent.

As a result, I uninstalled the "recommended" update that puts Win10 on my machine, and "hid" the update in Windows Update.

I also noticed that Microsoft went and installed several "security" patches that were actually telemetry updates, and went through the same process with them.

As of today, I find that Microsoft has gone ahead and re-installed all these patches, along with the Win10 nagware again.

WHAT THE HELL. If I wanted Win10, I would ask for it. I own this machine, not you!

Anyway, can anyone suggest a more permanent removal process? Also, to which poor soul should I direct my feedback on this behavior?

WTFSlim, Mar 8, 2018
  4. Berton Win User

Windows 10 users should check the Telemetry Re: What Fresh Hell Is...

My Home and my Pro version has the same as yours.

Berton, Mar 8, 2018
  5. KCR
    KCR Win User
    My Home version, same as yours, also. . .

Windows 10 users should check the Telemetry Re: What Fresh Hell Is... [​IMG]

Thema:

Windows 10 users should check the Telemetry Re: What Fresh Hell Is...

1. Windows 10 users should check the Telemetry Re: What Fresh Hell Is... - Similar Threads - users should check

2. Re: Microsoft Telemetry Spyware

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Re: Microsoft Telemetry Spyware: Is there a better way to stop the dreaded compatibility telemetry built into Windows 10 than the solution I've adopted? I just right-click on the Start button, select task manager, set it to list alphabetically then look for it in the list and click 'end task'. More often...
  3. Re-Install Hell

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Re-Install Hell: Is there any way to speak to an actual tech support person? All I find is a loop of FAQs. Here is my issue. Upon reinstalling windows after a BSOD caused by who knows what, I am unable to sign into my Microsoft account. It asks me to give my password a second time, then says...
  4. Re-Install Hell

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Re-Install Hell: Is there any way to speak to an actual tech support person? All I find is a loop of FAQs. Here is my issue. Upon reinstalling windows after a BSOD caused by who knows what, I am unable to sign into my Microsoft account. It asks me to give my password a second time, then says...
  5. Re-Install Hell

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. What The Hell Is THIS?

in Windows 10 Support
    What The Hell Is THIS?: Friday night, after a day in the salt mines, I came home, awakened computer from a much-deserved slumber, and saw this!: I didn't click on anything. I was able to 'X' out of the ones on the right and left. I clicked on Desktop, and the 2 in the middle disappeared. Does...
  7. What the hell is this?

in Cortana
    What the hell is this?: I press the windows key and type in a search word and there is a giant black screen that blocks everything.What the hell is it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-the-hell-is-this/38547366-aad7-48eb-b867-c10885b792f3
  8. What the hell?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What the hell?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/EveningBluebird [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/eca09q/what_the_hell/
  9. Not This Again Re: What Fresh Hell Is This...

in Windows 10 Support
    Not This Again Re: What Fresh Hell Is This...: Microsoft pushing Win10 version 1803 to PCs specifically set to avoid it We saw it happen three times with Win10 1709. Now we’re getting reports of Win10 1803 being pushed to Pro PCs with “branch readiness” set to Semi-Annual Channel -- the setting that’s supposed to...
  10. What Fresh Hell Is This Re: MS Version 1709??

in Windows 10 Support
    What Fresh Hell Is This Re: MS Version 1709??: When I plugged in and booted up this morning I was greeted with this "Your Device Needs The Latest Security Updates." Imgur I have been on 1703 (win 10 pro) since I got the machine in early Dec. The culprit that started this unwanted and unstoppable upgrade appears to...