Windows 10: Windows 10 uses SMB1, 2 or 3?

Discus and support Windows 10 uses SMB1, 2 or 3? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, everyone is reporting SMB issues with sharing. I wanted to know what exactly is SMB and which one is Windows 10 using which is causing such... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by lolcocks, Feb 20, 2016.

1. lolcocks Win User

Windows 10 uses SMB1, 2 or 3?

Hi, everyone is reporting SMB issues with sharing.

I wanted to know what exactly is SMB and which one is Windows 10 using which is causing such problems?

:)

lolcocks, Feb 20, 2016
  2. Brendan.W Win User

Windows 10 November Update - cannot see other network devices

I found the easiest solution for me.

Enable both SMB1 and SMB2 using Powershell ISE, which is installed with Windows 10 Pro by default.

Note my PC had 2 versions of Powershell. Powershell and Powershell ISE. The applet required is in Powershell ISE.

Instructions in this KB https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2696547

Follow this KB and enable both SMB1 and SMB2. No restart required. Just refresh the "Network" page after running the applet.

I would guess by the settings when using Get-SmbServerConfiguration that SMB1 is being disabled by default, maybe for security reasons. You do not need to disable the newer versions of SMB, just make sure all versions are enabled unless you have specific
    reasons for not wanting SMB1 enabled at all due to security.

It survived a full reboot for me and seems to show all my Linux and other Windows devices normally now.

Let me know if this helps anyone else.

Brendan.W, Feb 20, 2016
  3. Windows 10 November Update - cannot see other network devices

This did not work for me. I tried the Get first and got "Get-SmbServerConfiguration is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file"

WilliamHoffman, Feb 20, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

philc43, Feb 21, 2016
  5. lolcocks Win User
    And what does SMB have to do with the router?
    Some users reported problems with network file sharing after changing their router.

lolcocks, Feb 21, 2016
  6. bro67 Win User
    It is for computer to computer. But also controls how Windows knows where and how to find the other machines on the network.

SMB is short for Samba. Microsoft neutered their version, so that it is not fully capable of connecting to anything running Linux, which is every Router, NAS, Printer embedded software, etc.

bro67, Feb 22, 2016
  7. lolcocks Win User
    But why did they make such a move?
    Or no one has any idea?

lolcocks, Feb 22, 2016
  8. bro67 Win User

Because they believed that there was a security issue with SMB 1 & 2, which there is not.

SMB 3 is not backwards compatible with Samba 4.x, along with they did not carefully think this out too well.

Why do they do half of the stuff that they do, to frustrate end users.

bro67, Feb 22, 2016
  9. lolcocks Win User
    Any idea if RedStone fixes this?

If not, I will have to manually enable SMB1 and 2 on all my devices.
    Will this break anything such as slow speed issues or certain other devices not showing up?

lolcocks, Feb 22, 2016
  10. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

One problem I notice with SAMBA to W10 is that the Linux boxes while seeing W10 seem to get a strange message when you try and access the Windows C drive -- no problem with any other Windows share or the "Users" directory on the C drive.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 22, 2016
  11. lx07 Win User
    If you mean C$ Administrative share then that is because of UAC. You could add a LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy DWORD in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System and set it to 1.

Access denied to Administrative (Admin) shares in Windows 8 - 4sysops

12. OldMike65 Win User
    OldMike65, Feb 22, 2016
  13. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

No it's not the C$ stuff -- browsing through C you get messages file does not exist -- it's all ok once you get to users and browse from there.

Absolutely no probs with any other Windows shared drives.

Cheeers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 22, 2016
  14. bro67 Win User
    Not that I have heard. The only thing about Redstone that I have heard is around 1200 changes, with a lot in a bad way.

After the last rollout which broke stuff on my test box, 10 got yanked and the discs destroyed. I am done playing with Microsoft and being their Beta tester.

From this point on, it is purely Linux in my house.

bro67, Feb 23, 2016
  15. bro67 Win User
    I saw that also, until I disabled SMB 1 & 2 on my test box with 10. Once I did, all shares showed up on the 10 box and Linux boxes.

bro67, Feb 23, 2016
Thema:

1. Windows 10 uses SMB1, 2 or 3? - Similar Threads - uses SMB1

2. Resizing windows like tmux in win10 using keyboard

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Resizing windows like tmux in win10 using keyboard: I'm looking for some utility or window manager that provides me with the following ability in oder to code in a easy way. I need to work with two windows vertically, occupying the entire screen. At some point, I would like to be able to press a keyboard shortcut that can...
  3. BSOD Crash when using Bluetooth PAN to connect to phone. Get invalid mdl range error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD Crash when using Bluetooth PAN to connect to phone. Get invalid mdl range error: On a Surface Pro 7+ running the latest version available of Windows 11. EVERY TIME I connect to a phone via BT PAN I get the BSOD error 'Invalid MDL Range'. I've reset all network adapters, updated all drivers via windows update and intel. Seems like the exact same issue...
  4. BSOD Crash when using Bluetooth PAN to connect to phone. Get invalid mdl range error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD Crash when using Bluetooth PAN to connect to phone. Get invalid mdl range error: On a Surface Pro 7+ running the latest version available of Windows 11. EVERY TIME I connect to a phone via BT PAN I get the BSOD error 'Invalid MDL Range'. I've reset all network adapters, updated all drivers via windows update and intel. Seems like the exact same issue...
  5. For those who use McAfee what subscription do you use

in Windows 10 Gaming
    For those who use McAfee what subscription do you use: It seems McAffee is asking me to always upgrade and add to my subscription. I am on the Advanced individual plan. But during a recent scan recommended I get the PC optimizer and then another scan recommended anti-tracker. This would be three ongoing subsubscriptions. Do I...
  6. For those who use McAfee what subscription do you use

For those who use McAfee what subscription do you use: It seems McAffee is asking me to always upgrade and add to my subscription. I am on the Advanced individual plan. But during a recent scan recommended I get the PC optimizer and then another scan recommended anti-tracker. This would be three ongoing subsubscriptions. Do I...
  7. Is there a way to script a device to use a specific driver, even if its not marked as...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there a way to script a device to use a specific driver, even if its not marked as...: Hi, I was hoping to see if anyone has had any luck scripting the assignment of a specific driver to a device? I've tried using pnputil to install the driver, it gets added to the store but the device does not automatically pick it up. If I do this manually in device manager...
  8. Is my printer using SMB1?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is my printer using SMB1?: I got a new printer. HP 6055e. I got it all setup with difficulty, which is annoying because they are supposedly trying to make it easier to setup and tried out printing, copying, photo printing, and scanning.Then I downloaded the online documentation which I always do....
  9. Is my printer using SMB1?

Is my printer using SMB1?: I got a new printer. HP 6055e. I got it all setup with difficulty, which is annoying because they are supposedly trying to make it easier to setup and tried out printing, copying, photo printing, and scanning.Then I downloaded the online documentation which I always do....
  10. if we are no longer supposed to use smb1 why does my network only work when it is on

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    if we are no longer supposed to use smb1 why does my network only work when it is on: spending hours to get the computers to see each other on the network... the best advice I can find is to turn on smb1. micro.... recommends that we don't use this because of security problems. network discovery and file sharing does not work without it. Please explain....