Windows 10: Windows 10 uses your bandwidth to send other people updates

Discus and support Windows 10 uses your bandwidth to send other people updates in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Windows 10 launched on July 29 to much fanfare — it’s a free upgrade for Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 users — but along with the privacy issues, there’s... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by sn00ker, Aug 5, 2015.

1. sn00ker Win User

Windows 10 uses your bandwidth to send other people updates

Windows 10 launched on July 29 to much fanfare — it’s a free upgrade for Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 users — but along with the privacy issues, there’s another small thing you should check: by default, Windows 10 uses your internet connection to share updates with others across the internet.
    The feature, called Windows Update Delivery Optimization is designed to help users get updates faster and is enabled by default in Windows 10 Home and Pro editions. Windows 10 Enterprise and Education have the feature enabled, but only for the local network.
    It’s basically how torrents work: your computer is used as part of a peer to peer network to deliver updates faster to others. It’s a great idea, unless your connection is restricted.

Code: Windows 10 uses your bandwidth to share updates

:)

sn00ker, Aug 5, 2015
  2. jzky Win User
    jzky, Aug 5, 2015
  3. windows 10 update

you may want to read this

then ask to yourself

if everyone really could stop microsoft to use your bandwidth

in order to send windows updates to other windows users

then obliviously nobody will get the windows updates (Duh)

you may want to also consider the possibility

that turn things off on your windows 10 settings

it actually do nothing !!!

Speaking to PC World,

Microsoft Corporate Vice President Joe Belfiore

explained that Windows 10 is constantly tracking

how it operates and how you are using it

and sending that information back to Microsoft by default.

More importantly he also confirmed that,

despite offering some options to turn elements of tracking off,

core data collection simply cannot be stopped

windows 10 update is one of those core element ...duh,,,!!!!!

Cinzia_De_Carli, Aug 5, 2015
  4. Windows 10 uses your bandwidth to send other people updates

Very scary. Sounds like a P2P method.
    Hackers love P2P.

Layback Bear, Aug 5, 2015
  5. sn00ker Win User
    Yep, its kinda is, though that website I posted show how to disable that feature

sn00ker, Aug 5, 2015
  6. Traijan Win User
    I stumbled across that setting the other day and immediately thought that MS has added their own P2P system into W10 and since my bandwidth is already so slim, I really can't give it up to others on the internet so I just checked it to only my local network.

I'm guessing with the forced updates that MS needs some way of doing this as now they're going to have to force feed tens of millions of Windows computers their updates in a reasonable amount of time of downloading although in the past I've always gotten great performance from downloading the updates on W7 and earlier, so my guess is rather how much they might save by doing this on their bandwidth bills.

Traijan, Aug 7, 2015
  7. yammo Win User
    I just disabled this feature.

yammo, Aug 7, 2015
  8. Windows 10 uses your bandwidth to send other people updates

How does one disable it?

I did read here that "the system has been switched on by default and can only be turned off by digging into advanced options under Windows Update, diving deep in update and then poking about in security and settings." ... but they didn't say how !

UPDATE... More googling, found instructions here

1.Open Settings
    2.Click on Update and Security
    3.Under Windows Update, click Advanced Options in the right side of Window
    4.Click on the Choose how upgrades are delivered and then move the slider to Off position, to disable Windows Update Delivery Optimization or WUDO.
    5.Move the slider to OFF so that the your PC cannot download updates from anywhere other than Microsoft servers; if you think you can afford to download updates from PCs on your network, keep the slider in ON position and select PCs On My Local Network

There is another option there that says PCs on My Network and PCs on the Internet. It is selected by default and is used for Windows Update Delivery Optimization.

You can choose it later if you wish to get updates faster and do not mind paying a bit of extra money on metered connections

mediaman09, Aug 20, 2015
  9. Windows flag -> Settings -> Windows Update -> Advanced Options -> Choose how updates are delivered -> Switch slider to OFF (optionally set to local network only if you want to as well before turning off).

LovingWindows, Aug 20, 2015
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
  11. Excuse me , but why the FK would I want this enabled automatically? That is stupid beyond stupid.

ChrisPbass, Aug 20, 2015
  12. Traijan Win User
    I could see enabling it by default for those other computers on my own LAN but not for the internet, not by default anyway, should really be something they ask during setup or during the first update to a computer, not on by default. MS has in my opinion taken a lot of liberties on this release.

Traijan, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 uses your bandwidth to send other people updates

1. Windows 10 uses your bandwidth to send other people updates - Similar Threads - uses bandwidth send

2. Other people are editing your document

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Other people are editing your document: For the last few days whenever I create or edit a Word document I get a pop up dialogue box that says other people are editing this document. These are often confidential documents and it's important no one else has access to them. How do I ensure no one else can see or edit...
  3. Other people are editing your document

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Other people are editing your document: For the last few days whenever I create or edit a Word document I get a pop up dialogue box that says other people are editing this document. These are often confidential documents and it's important no one else has access to them. How do I ensure no one else can see or edit...
  4. Other people are editing your document

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. OneDrive Message: Other people are editing your document

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive Message: Other people are editing your document: Hi,Since recently, when I open a Word document from my local OneDrive folder, I get a popup message: "Other people are editing this document. Do you want to automatically save changes as they happen?".The thing is, there are no other users of my OneDrive, and all my OneDrive...
  6. OneDrive Message: Other people are editing your document

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive Message: Other people are editing your document: Hi,Since recently, when I open a Word document from my local OneDrive folder, I get a popup message: "Other people are editing this document. Do you want to automatically save changes as they happen?".The thing is, there are no other users of my OneDrive, and all my OneDrive...
  7. OneDrive Message: Other people are editing your document

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Are there any programs that allow you to monitor bandwidth usage of other people on the...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Are there any programs that allow you to monitor bandwidth usage of other people on the...: Let's say I want to download something and I want to know if someone else is using the same wi-fi or how much bandwidth they are currently using. submitted by /u/I_love_emoji [link] [comments]...
  9. Windows 10 update download uses entire bandwidth

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 update download uses entire bandwidth: Hi all,Whenever windows downloads updates, it always uses the entire internet bandwidth. Due to this, I can't even check emails ,even antivirus can't download updates and it takes many hours before I can finally use the PC. I find this a big pain that I can't even do basic...
  10. Windows 10 uses your Internet bandwidth to offer updates to others

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 uses your Internet bandwidth to offer updates to others: Windows 10 uses your Internet bandwidth to offer updates to others: Report... According to a report by The Next Web, this feature is designed to help users get updates faster and is enabled by default in Windows 10 Home and Pro editions. Other Windows 10 editions such as...