Windows 10: Windows 10 -Using Remote Desktop Services with a SHA256 (SHA-2)? How?

Discus and support Windows 10 -Using Remote Desktop Services with a SHA256 (SHA-2)? How? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I've searched the internet high and low to find the answer to this problem and have not come up with much. I have Windows 10 Professional... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rbelusko, Apr 13, 2016.

1. rbelusko Win User

Windows 10 -Using Remote Desktop Services with a SHA256 (SHA-2)? How?

Hello,
    I've searched the internet high and low to find the answer to this problem and have not come up with much.

I have Windows 10 Professional and I run a remote desktop protocol in order to access my PC remotely. The self-signed certificated which is auto-generated by Windows (in order to support the TLS encryption) is SHA1. I work in the security industry and I understand that SHA1 is phasing out.

What is the process to upgrade this auto-generated certificate so that it will use SHA256? The closest article I've been able to find is here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2001849, but it discusses replacing the RDP certificate with a custom SHA1 cert: it says nothing about SHA2.

All the articles I can find about this refer to Windows Server 2008/2012. There is NOTHING about Windows 10.

Does anybody know how to accomplish this?

Thanks
    Bob

:)

rbelusko, Apr 13, 2016

2. Using Remote Desktop Services with a self-signed SHA256 (SHA-2) certificate - help!

Hello,

I've searched the internet high and low to find the answer to this problem and have not come up with much.

I run a remote desktop protocol in order to access my PC remotely. The self-signed certificated which is auto-generated by Windows (in order to support the TLS encryption) is SHA1. I work in the security industry and I understand that SHA1 is phasing out.

What is the process to upgrade this auto-generated certificate so that it can use SHA256? The closest article I've been able to find is here,
    but it discusses replacing the RDP certificate with a custom SHA1 cert: it says nothing about SHA2.

Does anybody know how to accomplish this?

Thanks

Bob

RobertBelusko, Apr 13, 2016
  3. Using Remote Desktop Services with a self-signed SHA256 (SHA-2) certificate - help!

Hi Robert,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

As the issue is related to remote desktop service, I suggest you to ask your query in the Microsoft TechNet forum please refer the link below:

Technet forums - Windows 10 IT Pro

I hope the above information helps. If you have any other queries related to Windows 10, feel free to reply and I'll be happy to further assist you.

Anju Thekkethil, Apr 13, 2016
  4. rbelusko Win User

Well it looks like I'm going to answer my own question.
    Sometime between 9/7/16 and 9/30/16, Microsoft released an update which apparently automatically corrected this.

I checked and my RDP cert is now SHA256 *Smile

Thanks
    Bob

rbelusko, Oct 11, 2016
  5. Luci Win User
    Hi

I have the same issue, I was wondering if you may be able to give me a list of the hotfixes installed on your server during the time you mentioned so I can compare with ours? I can't find any info on recent Microsoft hotfixes that fixes this issue :-(

Thanks.

6. rbelusko Win User
    Hello,
    To clarify, this is not a Server edition, this is Windows 10 Pro.

So I'm not sure which fixed it but one of two changes were made around that time:

1) there was an extensive cumulative update at the end of September which I downloaded and installed

2) towards the begging of October I got a new PC so I did a clean install, using a Windows 10 boot CD. I installled all the latest updates right away.

Unfortunately I did not check the status of the cert until shortly before I posted my update here...

Hope that gives some guidance.

Good luck!
    Bob

rbelusko, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 -Using Remote Desktop Services with a SHA256 (SHA-2)? How? - Similar Threads - Using Remote Desktop

2. Remote Service Desktop Installation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remote Service Desktop Installation: Hi Microsoft Community.I have a query.We have a client with a windows server 2016.He has the RDS license expiring in 100 days or less.I am about to purchase 2 keys but each key is good for 5 users.The client requires up to 10 simultaneous users to connect to that server.Can I...
  3. Remote Service Desktop Installation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remote Service Desktop Installation: Hi Microsoft Community.I have a query.We have a client with a windows server 2016.He has the RDS license expiring in 100 days or less.I am about to purchase 2 keys but each key is good for 5 users.The client requires up to 10 simultaneous users to connect to that server.Can I...
  4. how to update vista sha-2 signed drivers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to update vista sha-2 signed drivers: where can I find the patch to udpate vista with sha-2 signed drivers? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-update-vista-sha-2-signed-drivers/dd3c5ff0-9213-4f9f-8a53-b43d0967e3bb
  5. How To: Enable Remote Desktop Services RDP remotely

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    How To: Enable Remote Desktop Services RDP remotely: To enable Remote Desktop Services (RDP) you might need to either use Group Policies or by physical access on the computer or server. Remotely you would need to use command line with PSTools which can be downloaded here. Once downloaded and extracted type in the below...
  6. Remote Desktop Service

in Windows 10 Customization
    Remote Desktop Service: [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/remote-desktop-service-%EC%8B%9C%EC%9E%91%EC%9D%B4/2413d62f-1d3a-409f-840d-a0e91aabc78a
  7. How to enable Remote Desktop Service into Windows 10 home edition?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to enable Remote Desktop Service into Windows 10 home edition?: Hi everyone, I am a self learner and I am currently learning Microsoft Azure. I have created a virtual Machine into Azure not to access my Virtual Machine I have do remote desktop connection but I am getting error while enabling remote desktop service into my laptop that "...
  8. Service Host: Remote Desktop Services Using Over 20% CPU?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Service Host: Remote Desktop Services Using Over 20% CPU?: Running RDS on Windows Server 2019 in Azure, and we get the Service Host: Remote Desktop Services using over 20% CPU frequently. Restarting the server temporarily fixes the issue. My research suggested it might be because we had thin clients using a version of RDP less...
  9. How To: Enable Remote Desktop Services RDP remotely

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    How To: Enable Remote Desktop Services RDP remotely: To enable Remote Desktop Services (RDP) you might need to either use Group Policies or by physical access on the computer or server. Remotely you would need to use command line with PSTools which can be downloaded here. Once downloaded and extracted type in the below...
  10. SHA 2 Encryption

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    SHA 2 Encryption: SHA 2 is due in a few months. Anyone hear any rumors. I think we will get the SHA 256bit Thanks 27878

Users found this page by searching for:

1. rdp selfsigned change to sha2 hotfix