Windows 10: Windows 10 v1709 / Redstone3 / Creators Update Fall - Pin to start

Discus and support Windows 10 v1709 / Redstone3 / Creators Update Fall - Pin to start in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I've just updated to Creators Update Fall (v1709) but the "Pin to start" is sometimes missing on the right-click context menu. I've also done a clean... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by biker66, Oct 21, 2017.

1. biker66 Win User

Windows 10 v1709 / Redstone3 / Creators Update Fall - Pin to start

I've just updated to Creators Update Fall (v1709) but the "Pin to start" is sometimes missing on the right-click context menu. I've also done a clean install of this edition of Windows to a 2nd hard drive from an installation CD to an empty formatted drive and i think the problem still exists there too. "Pin to taskbar" is there, no problems there!

I would be interested to know if anyone else has had this problem.. As i'm typing i think i found a solution. I now have the "Pin to start" back! Here is what i did just a few minutes ago:

go to Settings > Update & Security.
    click Troubleshoot.
    click "Windows Update" then click "Run the troubleshooter".
    Detecting problem... let it run. takes a few minutes.
    My system told me there are pending updates and gave me option to apply the fix. i clicked skip this fix.
    click close.

:)

biker66, Oct 21, 2017

2. about to window installer app

Tested and 100% Authentic Windows 10 Fall Creator Update v1709 (Build 16299.15)

ISO Image File. (Home and Pro Version)

Select you language and 32 or 64 bit.

Standard • Windows ISO

seahawks65, Oct 21, 2017
  3. How to update Windows 10 setup

Hello,

I have Windows 10 running with the fall creator's update. I also have a Wiindows 10 setup DVD. But, the DVD has Windows 10 v1607. Is it possible to update it to v1709.

WoozyWig514888, Oct 21, 2017
  4. Plankton Win User

Contradictory....not sure what you're trying to say.

Why? let it fix it.

AFAIK....not everything is/has/allowed to be pinned to start. I could be wrong.

Plankton, Oct 21, 2017
  5. biker66 Win User
    i ran that trouble shooter again and let it fix the pending updates problem it said it found. i was curious. but nothing much seem to change. but disappointingly after a reboot the problem ("pin to start" not there) is back again. grrrrrrrrr i ran the trouble shooter again but this time its not made any difference.
    I notice also that "Unpin from start" doesn't work. but it does work for any apps where i am able to "pin to start".. hmmmmm
    i can remove an app from the start by right clicking and finding the location of the shortcut and deleting it. but then when i click "pin to start" on the app it does nothing! Microsoft really screwed up here..

i also have another problem: right click on start menu then click "Device Manager", "Computer Management", "Event Viewer", "Disk Management", "Powershell" or "File Explorer" none of the apps open. only the other shortcuts like "System" work.

i am now installing the old 1703 build and sticking with that until MS sort the problems out.

biker66, Oct 21, 2017
  6. Plankton Win User
    I wish I had my old copy of 1703.......I'd be doing the same.

In the meantime, as a test....you could get a fresh copy of MCT and do another clean install and see if that might make a difference. I know I had to. The first one had all my default apps showing a downward facing arrow and when clicking on any of them, all opened with the same thing - a new and exciting app is coming with some other little oddities. So I got a new copy of MCT, did another clean install and now everything seems to be working fine.

Plankton, Oct 21, 2017
  7. biker66 Win User
    i have 2 SSD drives on my PC which is ideal for this scenario where my main OS has screwed up. I've just cleaned installed Redstone 2 (v1703) onto my 2nd drive, installed latest mobo drivers etc. before going online and running windows update. Just a small handfull of updates to install, the main one being 10-oct-2017 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4041676).

"pin to start" appears to be working as expected

If you need a Windows CD you can download using "Microsoft Windows and Office ISO Download Tool":
    https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/techno...-download-tool
    I got ISO CD images for Windows 10 1703 & 1709 using it.

biker66, Oct 21, 2017
  8. Plankton Win User

Well damn....I have that and now I've got 1703. Thanks.

Plankton, Oct 21, 2017
  9. biker66 Win User
    some progress today..it appears MS have fixed the issues with Windows Update. i have just updated a clean install of v1703 (Redstone2) to 1709 and none of the issues i was having are present. i am able to run all the apps when i right-click the start menu at bottom left of screen in corner. and i'm able to pin to start a program i was unable to before. I believe the issue is still present in the Windows ISO 1709 CD. i did a clean install using that CD and had issues with pin to start.

Plankton, until i find an update to the 1709 CD i have i'll be using 1703 then windows update.

UPDATE: doing Windows Update to 1709 it creates a folder titled "Windows.old". this took alot of my drive space and has over 100k files! no need to keep the folder its just a backup. it can be deleted.

biker66, Oct 23, 2017
  10. biker66 Win User
    i'm sticking with v1703 build 15063.675 until a new ISO is released.

biker66, Nov 11, 2017
  11. Bree New Member
    If you download the Media Creation Tool from Microsoft it will make the 1709 ISO (build 16299.15) for you. That has been available since October 17th and was how I upgraded my system to 1709.

Download Windows 10 ISO File

12. biker66 Win User
    i have the 1709 ISO file. i choose not to install it because of the problems i listed above.

Its possible to download the ISO from microsoft servers and not use the media creation tool.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft.../windows10ISO/

if the above link redirects to the media creation tool try this:

Google Chrome:
    press F12 key to open Chrome Developer Tools and then click on small mobile phone icon present near the magnifying glass icon. It'll switch to mobile device mode. Now open the URL link and it'll not redirect.

biker66, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 v1709 / Redstone3 / Creators Update Fall - Pin to start - Similar Threads - v1709 Redstone3 Creators

2. Windows 10 Fall Creators Update Help?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Fall Creators Update Help?: Today I tried to run halo infinite but it gave me a message along the lines of Incompatible OS version. Update fall creators update (1709) or higher. So I look up how to update windows to the latest version so I follow the steps but I already have the latest version then I go...
  3. Fall creators update.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Fall creators update.: How do i stop or block this virus you call the fall creators update, 3 times this year it's uploaded itself onto my computer and every time i've had to revert to the previous build. Each time it installs itself i loose 3-4 hours of work time because i can't use my computer,...
  4. windows creators fall update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    windows creators fall update: Hey.i was just wondering.how come I haven't got the new creators fall update???I went to download it manually but on the website there only is the creators original update 95658
  5. WINDOWS 10 Fall Creators Update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    WINDOWS 10 Fall Creators Update: I just downloaded the above mentioned update and it looks like some fun things are here. I am interested in giving "Paint 3D" a shot although I am told it's designed for touch screen and I don't use one. Here's the problem---it has force fed me "OneDrive" which I am not a...
  6. windows 10 fall creators update start menu button

in Windows 10 Support
    windows 10 fall creators update start menu button: hi, sorry if this has been asked before, I seem to have a problem at times with the start menu button(left hand corner) does not always work, any help please? thank you, *Smile 95889
  7. Fall Creators Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Fall Creators Update: Has anyone installed it yet? If so did it break anything for you? Debating If I should update or not. 95662
  8. fall creator update

fall creator update: Is there a general chart which might give info on when i would get fcu. I went from 7 to 10 just a couple weeks before free 10 stopped. 97324
  9. Fall Creators Update

Fall Creators Update: I just bit the bullet and went to Microsoft site and tried to install it. It hung up stuck on 24% and stayed there for an hour so I pulled the plug and it has gone back to the previous version. Now what? 99881
  10. Fall Creators Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Fall Creators Update: I work for a company that has about 200 desktop and laptop running Windows 10 (most are HP's)on our own domain and after the fall creators update, we have experienced Unauthenticated network messages as well as download issues in all browsers (Edge, IE 11, Chrome, Firefox)....