Windows 10: Windows 10 version confusion

Discus and support Windows 10 version confusion in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi folks, I am confused about what version of Windows 10 do I have...can you help? I wiped my 6 years old Lenovo desktop pc. Then , I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Calix, Oct 20, 2015.

1. Calix Win User

Windows 10 version confusion

Hi folks,

I am confused about what version of Windows 10 do I have...can you help?

I wiped my 6 years old Lenovo desktop pc. Then , I installed something like "technical alfa" Windows 10 version. That was in early 2015.

I dont remember if I downloaded image or installed Vista first and then installed W10. Then, I gave it to my wife. *cake
    Its October now and its still working somehow but I dont believe its legal since I didnt pay for it...

When I go to Settings->System->About->System Info it says Edition: Windows 10 Home; Under activation it says: Windows activated. Below it, there is a product ID.

When I go to Settings->Windows update->Advanced options- Get Insides builds, I am not in any since there is a button "Get Started".

So I dot get this...it seems like I have regular Windows 10 installation and its activated. But is there a way to double check? Maybe I still have some pre release version that is no longer supported and one day it will say goodbye and my wife will loose all data? *Biggrin

Thanks for some tips or opinions!

br

:)

Calix, Oct 20, 2015
  2. Nancy643 Win User

Version Confusion

I did some manual updates last night and it solved itself this morning. Just got confirmation that Windows 10 is reserved for me. How utterly odd!

Nancy643, Oct 20, 2015
  3. Nancy643 Win User
    Version Confusion

I'm running a licensed version of Windows 8.1 but the installer for Windows 10 thinks I'm running version 6.3 so won't authorize the download. What can I do?

Nancy643, Oct 20, 2015
  4. Joergi Win User

Hi Calix!

What you installed back in early 2015 was a Technical Preview. Newer technical previews are called Insider Builds. These are development versions, which update themselves automatically once a new developer version is out. Legally this is no problem: When you use such a version, you are some kind of beta tester for Microsoft. You get new features, but they might also be incomplete or somehow broken. Basically, Microsoft offers you these Insider Builds for free at the price of you being the one who potentially has to deal with brokenness. And Microsoft gathers vast amounts of user data in Insider Builds; way more than it gathers in the release version of Windows 10.

Note that only because you have done these beta tests, Microsoft does not give you a licence as a present or so. If you want to use the release version of Windows 10, then in order for it to activate, you must have had Windows 7 or Windows 8(.1) installed on the according PC. The release version has the build number 10240.

In order to check the Windows version you are on, you can run the "winver" application. It will display a small window with the name of the operating system ("Windows 10" obviously) and with the build number in it. In case of an Insider version or an evaluation version, it will also contain an Expiration date. See here for an example output:
    http://www.windowscentral.com/sites/...?itok=3WRMD9fP

Joergi, Oct 20, 2015
  5. Calix Win User
    Hi Joergi,

thanks a lot for answer. Do I understand correctly that my installation is somewhere in the middle? I dont have insider build nor I paid or upgraded from W7/8. Please check my winver output:

Windows 10 version confusion [​IMG]

I would say it looks like official released version. Maybe I really did install W7 there and I dont remember *Smile
    Anyway, if I decide to reinstall this PC lets say in December, how do I keep this version? Do I have to note product ID somewhere (Settings->System->About->System Info). In certain step during new installation it will ask me for some ID, right?

Thanks a lot
    br

Calix, Oct 20, 2015
  6. If you're on a legit activated copy of Win 10 (which it appears you are), it will be activated automatically for all installs of Win 10 in the future, without the input of a key or ID. To double check if your copy is activated go to Settings -> Update & Security -> Activation; it should look like the following:

Windows 10 version confusion [​IMG]

fracking4oil, Oct 20, 2015
  7. Joergi Win User
    What you have there is the release version of Windows 10. Feature-wise that also is the version which I would recommend for the ordinary end user.

Yes, since it's also activated properly, I think it's likely you came from Windows 7 then. That means that with regards to the licence everything is fine.

Btw: Should Windows not be activated or should it expire (this is what evaluation copies do, it is not what the release version does), then you also would not lose any data. I think Windows would then start becoming annoying - well some people say, that would not be such a change... *Wink
    Anyway, that's not a problem for you.

Joergi, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 version confusion - Similar Threads - version confusion

2. My brother downloaded a cracked version of a game called Raft after which Windows Defender...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My brother downloaded a cracked version of a game called Raft after which Windows Defender...: The viruses were:Trojan:Win32/Wacatac.H!mlBehavior:Win32/DefenseEvasion.A!mlTrojan:Win32/ZynonmTrojan:Win32/Sabsik.FL.B!mlTrojan:Win32/Vidar!MTBMost of these were remediated, blocked or removed. But since these are mostly Trojans I'm still worried that once I turn on my wifi...
  3. Dell's Windows 11 version 24H1 announcement causes confusion

in Windows 10 News
    Dell's Windows 11 version 24H1 announcement causes confusion: Microsoft is already making it difficult to keep up with the different Windows builds and versions that the company releases. There are feature updates, Moment updates, cumulative updates, optional updates and even accidental updates. It does not help that Microsoft is tight...
  4. Confusion with version numbers

in Windows 10 Support
    Confusion with version numbers: Updated Win 10 Pro to 21H1, but it still shows 2009. Also did the same with my laptop which has Win 10 Home. It shows the correct version, as well as it is possible to copy and paste the system info using the conveniently placed copy buttons. With the Pro version, I must copy...
  5. Hosted network status : Not available; Realtek 8723BE drivers version confusion.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hosted network status : Not available; Realtek 8723BE drivers version confusion.: Hi, Sorry for complicated title but both problems are related to the same thing : I want to share my W10 laptop's VPN connection with my TV. My platform is Windows 10 Pro, Version 1909, on an HP Probook 455 G3. Network WiFi card is Realtek 8723 BE 802.11 bgn. First of...
  6. Confused as to which version of Win10 to install...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Confused as to which version of Win10 to install...: With all the problems and controversy surrounding Build 1809 recently, and with so many different updates being released rather willy-nilly, and finally, with me recovering from a recent stroke and not having an overabundance of high-grade gray matter available to "suss it...
  7. Confused as to which version of Win10 to install...

in Windows 10 News
    Confused as to which version of Win10 to install...: With all the problems and controversy surrounding Build 1809 recently, and with so many different updates being released rather willy-nilly, and finally, with me recovering from a recent stroke and not having an overabundance of high-grade gray matter available to "suss it...
  8. Office 2016 Confusion Click to install and stand alone versions

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Office 2016 Confusion Click to install and stand alone versions: Hi there Windows update seems to get Office Updates into a total twist. Apparently 2 ways of installing Office -- either the "Click to Install" from Ms directly or install from the MSDN iso. If you install from the "Click to install" then updates come via clicking...
  9. Confused about my directX version, anyone available to clarify?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Confused about my directX version, anyone available to clarify?: Hello, I have a corei3 3.10Ghz second generation processor which comes with an intel HD2000 (sandy bridge) internal graphics memory. When I was used to use windows7, I installed Directx 11 but it always showed 10.1 I searched online and people said HD2000 wont support...
  10. Latest Realtek Driver versions confusing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Latest Realtek Driver versions confusing: My present Realtek audio driver is 6.0.1 8251....when go to Latest Realtek Driver link it shows 6.0.1 8254 version ...but when i go microsoft update download link....the various download options show 6.0.1 8248 ...very confusing. Device manager shows i have the latest...