Windows 10: Windows 10 very slow on new 2TB SSD

Discus and support Windows 10 very slow on new 2TB SSD in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I got a new 2TB SSD that I wanted to install W10 on. Attempt 1: I used diskpart to set it to gpt and clean it. During install I did Custom... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by mperemsky, Jan 6, 2018.

1. mperemsky Win User

Windows 10 very slow on new 2TB SSD

I got a new 2TB SSD that I wanted to install W10 on.

Attempt 1:

I used diskpart to set it to gpt and clean it. During install I did Custom Install and selected the unallocated drive. W10 refused to install on the drive. It would sit in the "Collecting Information" phase.

Attempt 2:

I read somewhere that W10 does not like "large" SSD sizes. CNet recommended installing on a 100GB partition. So, I ran seagate tools to initialize the drive to gpt. In diskmanager I set a partition to 100GB and the rest for a remaining partition. Started W10 installed and selected the 100GB partition. W10 did not like the partition (it said to check the logs for a reason why). So, I deleted the partitions I created and created a new 100GB partition (W10 also created a couple of other smaller system partitions). It then installed on the 100GB partition.

After installing I set the system to "High Performance" and rebooted. Any application I try to run takes forever to start up and to run. I tried to unzip a 2.5MB file and it took a couple of minutes. I just noticed in Task Manager the SSD usage is at 100%

Windows 10 very slow on new 2TB SSD [​IMG]

:)

mperemsky, Jan 6, 2018
  2. Lucas_Gi Win User

Can I Change My Default Desktop Location??

I'm building a new computer that will have a few hard drives in it. I have a 2tb 5400rpm HHD but I don't want to install windows on such a slow harddrive. So I'll install windows on a SSD but I wan't to set my desktop's and possibly all of my library folder's
    default locations to be on the 2tb HHD. I'll also install some of my applications onto the 2tb HHD also. How can I do this?

Lucas_Gi, Jan 6, 2018
  3. davek86 Win User
    HDD shows in BIOS but not on system

New built computer, Win10, Hero7mobo, 4790K, Samsung 500Gb SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2Tb.

Computer runs fine and is booting from SSD but 2Tb does not show thru settings or control panel.

When started in BIOS 2Tb drive show up.

How can I initialize or format it from BIOS or if it doesn't show in Win10 ?

davek86, Jan 6, 2018
  4. mperemsky Win User

After leaving the machine running for a bout 30 minutes this seems to have resolved itself. But, then it started going back to 100% usage again after about 10 minutes.

mperemsky, Jan 6, 2018
  5. SoFine409 Win User
    Windows might be indexing.

SoFine409, Jan 6, 2018
  6. What processes in the "Processes" tab are generating the most disk activity?

PolarNettles, Jan 6, 2018
  7. mperemsky Win User
    It's not indexing, it is constant and there is nothing on the drive yet. "Most" disk activity varies but it is usually Windows tasks

Windows 10 very slow on new 2TB SSD [​IMG]

mperemsky, Jan 6, 2018
  8. mperemsky Win User

mperemsky, Jan 6, 2018
  9. mperemsky Win User
    This does not appear to be an issue when I start in Safe Mode.

mperemsky, Jan 6, 2018
  10. zinou Win User
    Are you still experiencing this issue?

If yes, you can try this:

• When you notice the High Disk I/O, Open a command line as Administrator;
    • Type this command "wpr -start generalprofile -start CPU -start DiskIO"; this will start trace recording.
    • While recording the trace, try to work on your system for about 2 minutes.
    • Then type this command to stop trace recording "wpr -stop C:\Temp\MyTrace.etl". Make sure the folder where you record the trace exist.
    • Compress the resulting file (Important)
    • Share it through TransferNow or any other file sharing platform.
    I'll analyze your trace file and give you a feedback.

See you

zinou, Jan 15, 2018
  11. mperemsky Win User
    I followed the steps from this response: Windows 10 disk usage at 100 on SSD - Microsoft Community
    which seemed to solve the problem to some extent. I pursued the matter further and ran the Seagate tols on the drive and, according to Seagate there were "in-correctable bad sectors in the drive" so, I am in the process of sending the drive back for a replacement.

mperemsky, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 very slow on new 2TB SSD - Similar Threads - very slow 2TB

2. New PC Is Very Slow

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    New PC Is Very Slow: I just got a new PC today and it's really slow, like to the point where it takes 2 minutes minimum to do anything and it crashes as well as white screens very often. Since it's new I've only downloaded Spotify and steam and have 800gb free as well as 8gb ram. How can I help...
  3. slow windows 10 boot new ssd

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    slow windows 10 boot new ssd: i got my first ssd crucial mx500 500gb and it takes 40 seconds to boot from cold 377gb is FREE out of 465gb SSD I get windows 10 blue circle before i get the login screen before i enabled fast boot in bios i got the motherboard logo that is asus now i get the windows 10...
  4. Best 2TB Ssd?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Best 2TB Ssd?: Hello I put in a ssd and a hdd. The Hdd, would like to exchange me for a ssd. on the ssd there is windows 10 pro on it and a few programs. The new ssd should only get games, music, pictures and games. So it does not have to be the most expensive and fastest ssd....
  5. Windows 10 very very slow

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 very very slow: Hi I have an HP Spectre x360 wxith an Intel Core i7-7500U, 2,7 GHz, 16Go RAM and a 2TB hard drive 1.45To free. Since one week my PC is very very slow. I'm using Kaspersky Total Security without any alert. I'm also using MalwareByte without also any alert I run...
  6. ACDSEE2O18 is VERY slow on W10 and a new SSD drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ACDSEE2O18 is VERY slow on W10 and a new SSD drive: Hello, Recently an Indonesian computer technician upgraded my pc: - He changed my C-drive into a new SSD one for faster performance - He upgraded my memory to 16GB - DDR I think... - He installed Windows 10 - and temporarily kept W7 active as a tool to find W7 settings that...
  7. ACDSEE2O18 is VERY slow on W10 and a new SSD drive

in Windows 10 Support
    ACDSEE2O18 is VERY slow on W10 and a new SSD drive: Hello, Recently an Indonesian computer technician upgraded my pc: - He changed my C-drive into a new SSD one for faster performance - He upgraded my memory to 16GB - DDR I think... - He installed Windows 10 - and temporarily kept W7 active as a tool to find W7 settings that...
  8. Windows 10 fresh install on SSD very slow boot

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 fresh install on SSD very slow boot: Hey guys , I recently formatted my SSD because of problems in my Windows 10 . I did as ever. Start the installation of Windows , chose the disk, delete all partitions, created partitions again and choose to install Windows 10 . Now I have very long boot and shutdown time(at...
  9. Boot time very slow with SSD

Boot time very slow with SSD: I have Windows 10 with the latest updates, my hardware is: i5-6600k running at 4.4GHZ and 1.3v Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD 8GB RAM Z170-HD3 RX 480 4GB I'm on windows 10 1703 My boot time has recently been extremely slow (almost 2 minutes) Interestingly Windows boot...
  10. My SSD is booting very slow

My SSD is booting very slow: Hi everyone, I am a new member of the forum. My SSD is booting very slow & I need help solving this. The SSD is about 2 years old & has been upgraded to Win 10 for about a 1 yr, after googling the problem & following up on a suggestion, I downloaded and ran Crystal...