Windows 10: Windows 10 VPN authefication problem, CHAPv2 is on

Discus and support Windows 10 VPN authefication problem, CHAPv2 is on in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi win 10 gurus, I think you all heard about Windows 10 authentication problems with VPN. The only solution which works for at least 2-3 people, which... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by clernoc, Feb 7, 2016.

1. clernoc Win User

Windows 10 VPN authefication problem, CHAPv2 is on

Hi win 10 gurus, I think you all heard about Windows 10 authentication problems with VPN. The only solution which works for at least 2-3 people, which I found in the Internet was to check that MS-CHAP is on in properties of my VPN connection. I checked and it is on, I also tried to check every sort of variations of CHAP/no CHAP and strength of security encryption. Nothing works. In my case there is one interesting details, it worked fine in windows 8.1 and Windows 10 which was installed on W8.1 via upgrade. Then I installed W7, VPN worked there but W7 have some issues with routing of http requests when VPN is on, so I decided to go back to W10. To my big and very unpleasant surprise I found that W10 can't connect to VPN which previously worked fine. It says classical: "The remote connection was denied because the user name and password combination you provided is not recognized, or the selected authentication protocol is not permitted on the remote access server"

Does anyone here have any actual working solution for this problem besides checking MS-CHAPv2? Some people say it is caused by wrong format of how W10 sends authentication data, but I can't understand how it worked for a couple of months ago, until I decided to reinstall system...

:)

clernoc, Feb 7, 2016
  2. KrazedJJ Win User

Windows 10 Phone VPN with PPTP and CHAPv2 Authentication

We got a new Nokia 950xl Windows 10 Mobile, trying to connect to vpn and it is failing. I am sure its due to the inability to force CHAPv2. Is tehre any way to force the PPTP with required authentication using CHAP?

KrazedJJ, Feb 7, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Phone VPN with PPTP and CHAPv2 Authentication

The same issue here. I am pretty sure this is due to CHAP configuration, since when making a new VPN connection through the default 'modern' interface, the CHAP is disabled by default on the PC version (build 14316). Only when going into the adapter settings
    window (old school) you can enable them and all works as intended. However this option is (As far as I know) not available on windows 10 mobile (build 14322). Making it impossible to create a VPN connection to both my home and office. And making thus for example
    the remote desktop application useless! (when outside of my home or office).

Please fix this asap!!!! also add a configuration option in the PC version 'modern' user interface, because this is very user unfriendly!

MarkOostveen, Feb 7, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

Looks like it has been known since 2012 that MS-CHAPv2 has been a huge security risk and they finally shut the problem down with Windows 10, by removing that feature. Microsoft Security Advisory 2743314 You can go through all of the other Security advisories if you wish. Security Advisories and Bulletins

It all depends on how the VPN server is set up. The Software Engineers have royally screwed up the networking part of Windows 10 in the latest rollout. You are the first one to mention this about VPN being an issue.

I just did a quick search. Oh, it is a major PITA that goes back to November. I do love the Microsoft employee's reply to someone on Microsoft's Social.technet board. It is about as canned of a response as you can get. "Thank you for your question.

By this issue, we could refer to the following steps to troubleshoot:

1.Use the build-in VPN to check if it work
    2.Then please configure the software in compatibility mode to check if it could be run
    3.Contact the vendor to check Aventail could be run on the build 10596
    4.Rebuild Windows profile or do a clean boot to check if the issue persist

Best Regard,"

Their last reply was to contact the manufacturer of the Firewall/VPN Appliance, because it is typical Microsoft kicking the can down the road.

bro67, Feb 8, 2016
Thema:

1. Windows 10 VPN authefication problem, CHAPv2 is on - Similar Threads - VPN authefication problem

2. Problem with the VPN connection on Windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Problem with the VPN connection on Windows: Hello there,I'm in need of some help with this...When I have a normal internet connection, I have no issue accessing any website. When I connect to a VPN Hotspot Shield, however, it appears that the site is unavailable. But the weird thing is that when I type something into...
  3. Problem with the VPN connection on Windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Problem with the VPN connection on Windows: Hello there,I'm in need of some help with this...When I have a normal internet connection, I have no issue accessing any website. When I connect to a VPN Hotspot Shield, however, it appears that the site is unavailable. But the weird thing is that when I type something into...
  4. Problem creating VPN profile Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Problem creating VPN profile Windows 10: I am trying to create a VPN profile on my windows 10 tablet so that I can then connect to my pricate network using the option on my Asus wireless router but I am unable to complete the process as it will not let me input all the required information before the entire dialog...
  5. VPN problems in Windows 10 1909

VPN problems in Windows 10 1909: I have just updated my Windows 10 to version 1019. I cannot stablish VPN connections anymore. The VPN settings window does not even work, so I cannot remove and setup again the VPN. Is this a known problem? What can I do to solve the issue?...
  6. VPN Opera problem

in Browsers and Email
    VPN Opera problem: I've used Norway's Opera VPN for ages with no problems, however when I recently tried to watch a particular Norwegian programme it kept saying not available to viewers outside Norway which seems odd despite having tried all the on line suggestions how to resolve it. Anyone...
  7. [PROBLEM] VPN Driver vanish on Windows 10

[PROBLEM] VPN Driver vanish on Windows 10: Hello. I'm having problem on windows 10. I want to connect to PPTP network VPN, but I always fail to do that. After searching a while, I come into device manager, to network section and I can't found any driver listed for PPTP and other VPN driver. I assum this cause the...
  8. Problem with VPN

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Problem with VPN: The VPN I used to successfully use for a long time, stopped working. It is L2TP IPSec VPN and I need it to monitor a remote network. The message I receive is saying "...Security layer encountered a proccessing error...". I check if this issue persists on other devices and...
  9. VPN Problem

VPN Problem: Hi Since the last windows update when I connect to the internet via VPN the task bar icon for the router states "unidentified server no internet access". If I switch VPN off I can access the internet. Thought this was due to problem with VPN however, I have the option to...
  10. VPN not working in Windows 10 – Fix VPN problems & issues

in Windows 10 News
    VPN not working in Windows 10 – Fix VPN problems & issues: [ATTACH] A VPN is used by many either to make sure they are not traceable throughout the internet or sometimes its work that needs them to connect to VPN to be on a secure network. Sometimes, network issues result in an [...] This post VPN not working in Windows 10 – Fix VPN...