Windows 10: Windows 10 vs. Windows 8.1 vs. Windows 7 Performance

Discus and support Windows 10 vs. Windows 8.1 vs. Windows 7 Performance in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Three years ago we were benchmarking Microsoft's then latest operating system, Windows 8. At the time we were keen to make sure Windows 8 performed as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Windows 10 vs. Windows 8.1 vs. Windows 7 Performance

Read more: Windows 10 vs. Windows 8.1 vs. Windows 7 Performance - TechSpot

Brink, Aug 9, 2015

2. I wait with baited breath for the results on this may you have as few hiccups as possible.

Guess that's what i get for reading with a sleep addled mind.

:)

CervenySun, Aug 9, 2015
  3. Sumit Dhiman2, Aug 9, 2015
  4. Windows 10 vs. Windows 8.1 vs. Windows 7 Performance

Why are Windows 7 Games not available on Windows 10?

Original Title: Windows 10 Upgrade vs Windows 7

Why are Windows 7 Games not available on Windows 10?

HughHilliard, Aug 9, 2015
  5. dencal Win User
    Overall performance wise am impressed with W10, though Edge is a disappointment in many respects, being nowhere near the finished product.
    Hopefully this will improve in time.
    In the meantime will use IE and Google Chrome.

dencal, Aug 9, 2015
  6. Overall, I'm very happy with Windows 10.
    It has been a good investment. (Of my time, not money!)

All the things that Microsoft wants us to embrace have no interest for me.
    My search is set to only look at my computer... NOT the web!
    All the tiles have been deleted.
    Cortana has been (almost) hidden away.
    Edge/IE? What is all that about? Don't know - don't care.
    Every 'app' has been uninstalled where it could be...
    (I'm a 55 year old man and I still have to tolerate an XBox app on my computer!
    Never played XBox or Wii or any kind of computer game in my life... but there it is... XBox on my computer! Grrr!)

The OS runs all my programs just fine.
    (Had to update my video editor [PowerDirector], but that was the only program that was un-prepared for Windows 10 from the get-go.)

My verdict is that it's very stable.
    Boot times are a lot LONGER (yeah, who'da thort!), and updates are out of control.
    Minor niggles that will get sorted out over time.

teachermark, Aug 9, 2015
  7. JoeShades Win User
    You should boot up in seconds because of the hybrid shutdown like in windows 8

JoeShades, Aug 9, 2015
  8. Boozad Win User

This also screws up your primary/secondary OS if you're dual booting.

Boozad, Aug 9, 2015
  9. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

I'm another old Dinosaur --HATE XBOX / Most modern computer games / modern Thump Thump Night club music/ Facebook / twitter etc etc.

My idea of pleasant music is a night out at the Opera preferably followed BEFORE the event by a decent meal in a proper restaurant -- no "Take aways" or vile stuff like that.

However as far as W10 is concerned - It works fine for me - better than W7 / W8 / W8.1

I do use smart phones, satellite TV and multi-media streaming so I accept SOME modern technology is for me -- even when a lot isn't. !!

My main complaints

Modern popular music --HIDEOUS, most modern TV Excruciatingly boring and the whole idea of "Fast Foods" or eating on the hoof -- what's wrong in taking a bit of a break and enjoying a great meal in pleasant surroundings taking as long as you like over eating it with pleasant company --forget rush rush all the time.

Modern sport though (when they aren't all taking drugs) has greatly improved both for participants and as a spectator sport - and Modern bicycles are absolutely great even for oldies like me.

I think also a load of computer hardware has also improved incredibly -- some stuff would have taken me weeks to do with ancient hardware - now it can be done in hours at the most.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 9, 2015
  10. jfreemont Win User
    Anecdotally, I'd say that Windows 10 is faster than Windows 7, but it just doesn't seem as snappy as Windows 8.1.

Windows 8.1 is just extremely fast. It boots fast, apps open quickly, it shuts down quickly, etc.

jfreemont, Aug 9, 2015
  11. rezpower Win User
    You can get rid of all you don't want. Check this:
    Remove default Apps from Windows 10

rezpower, Aug 9, 2015
  12. Well, that explains the Starcraft II problem, great .... it's the XBOX app .... haha man. How can the XBOX app break Starcraft II .... seriously. This O/S is seemingly not targeted for gamers. The DX12 is not even worth the hassle. Man on man, Im pist

heyyahblah, Aug 10, 2015
  13. Windows 10 vs. Windows 8.1 vs. Windows 7 Performance

I was going to say, I had installed Windows 10 Build 10240 (hoping to set myself up as an Insider again). I ended up bailing because of activation issues but that's not the point. I did notice that Windows 10 ran very quickly on my old HP Compaq Small Form Factor DC7600 (1 GB of RAM and a 20 GB IDE HDD).

However, I bailed and installed the x86 build of Windows 8.1. Well crap, it's even FASTER, and it looks nicer. For those who lament Windows 7, I think 8x with Classic Shell just looks and acts like a flatter, faster Windows 7. That's just me though.

Jody Thornton, Aug 10, 2015
  14. Krampetz Win User
  15. I believe the lack of snappiness is do to video drivers (at least with Nvidia drivers). If you install old Win 8.1 drivers (344.75 or 347.88 are recommended) the snappiness returns, but you won't have DX 12 support. Hope this is fixed with upcoming drivers.

fracking4oil, Aug 10, 2015
Thema:

1. Windows 10 vs. Windows 8.1 vs. Windows 7 Performance - Similar Threads - Performance

2. How to get back high performance?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to get back high performance?: Hi, I am on windows 10 and I am trying to get more FPS in Minecraft, I attempted to choose the "High Performance" plan in power options, however it was not there. After doing the CMD health scan restore stuff, it still did not work. Basically, all the normal stuff that is...
  3. How to get back high performance?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to get back high performance?: Hi, I am on windows 10 and I am trying to get more FPS in Minecraft, I attempted to choose the "High Performance" plan in power options, however it was not there. After doing the CMD health scan restore stuff, it still did not work. Basically, all the normal stuff that is...
  4. How to get back high performance?

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. PC has performance issues and stuttering ever since I did a system reset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC has performance issues and stuttering ever since I did a system reset: Hello everyone, so ever since I reset my system everything has been working very poorly. Browers are laggy and oftentimes have visual bugs. Any game I play, even the ones that have a low benchmark stutter and lag with frequent fps drops. Before the reset I was able to play...
  6. PC has performance issues and stuttering ever since I did a system reset

PC has performance issues and stuttering ever since I did a system reset: Hello everyone, so ever since I reset my system everything has been working very poorly. Browers are laggy and oftentimes have visual bugs. Any game I play, even the ones that have a low benchmark stutter and lag with frequent fps drops. Before the reset I was able to play...
  7. PC has performance issues and stuttering ever since I did a system reset

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. How do i fix the problem "This file does not have an app associated with it for performing...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do i fix the problem "This file does not have an app associated with it for performing...: I've tried the command prompt trick. I opened the sims with steam, and it wouldnt work, Can u please send some solutions to this problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-fix-the-problem-this-file-does-not-have/d478d6d0-970c-40ac-ae93-8b496334ac51
  9. How do i fix the problem "This file does not have an app associated with it for performing...

How do i fix the problem "This file does not have an app associated with it for performing...: I've tried the command prompt trick. I opened the sims with steam, and it wouldnt work, Can u please send some solutions to this problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-fix-the-problem-this-file-does-not-have/d478d6d0-970c-40ac-ae93-8b496334ac51
  10. Performance ruined when plugging in USB C powerbank.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Performance ruined when plugging in USB C powerbank.: This is repeatable, just watch youtube and click stats for nerds and watch the frames dropped Its always at 0 until you plug the USB C powerbank in and it start dropping frames consistently. You can notice it anyway but for scientific purposes its there. Im on a Dell Latitude...