Windows 10: Windows 10 - what to do with Win 7 activation keys?

Discus and support Windows 10 - what to do with Win 7 activation keys? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Good morning. *Redface I have an original Windows Seven Ultimate copy, bought from the Windows Store. I've been using this since 2011 and now I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by teogenesqueno2, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Windows 10 - what to do with Win 7 activation keys?

Good morning. *Redface

I have an original Windows Seven Ultimate copy, bought from the Windows Store. I've been using this since 2011 and now I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro. I updated the system and then I downloaded the ISO file with the program I used to download the original upgrade. I then formatted the system today using the ISO I downloaded yesterday, and it was activated ok. My question is: can I use my Win 7 activation key to install Windows 7 in another computer and it be able to continue being original?

Any constructive answers will be appreciated. *Smile

:)

teogenesqueno2, Jul 30, 2015

2. After Upgrading from Window 7 to 10 lost activation

I had windows 7 on my mahcine which was activated. After upgrading to windows 10 I'm being told I need to activate windows! My windows 7 activation was lost in the process. I've read win 7 activation keys will not work with win 10.

What do I do?

GarySamaniego, Jul 30, 2015
  3. Windows Downgrading from win 10 activated to win7

What will happen to windows activation if I downgrade from win 10 "activated" to Win 7 professional . do I still need to activate the new windows 7 or not " can i use the previous key for activation ?

ahmed amr kamal, Jul 30, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Windows 10 - what to do with Win 7 activation keys?

Hello teogenesqueno, and welcome to Ten Forums.

I'm afraid that you cannot legally. If you do, then one or both installations may become deactivated.

Part of the EULA agreement to get the free copy of Windows 10 is to no longer activate the Windows 7 key that you upgraded to the free offer of Windows 10 unless you uninstall Windows 10 first.

Brink, Jul 30, 2015
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

if you made an image of the w7 system and restore it - activation remains - so long as it's on the SAME machine. Restoring the W10 image again also preserves the activation - but as Brink says you can run one or the other but not BOTH.

Before you upgrade take the backup of W7 so it will be "restorable" if for any reason you don't like W10.

I always advise before doing any of these updates TAKE A BACKUP. Then after update once it's activated take a NEW backup (of the W10) system.

Then like the Yanks say "All bases are covered".

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 30, 2015
  6. Windowz10 Win User
    Are you saying that once activated the client side OS will never cross check again with the activation servers?

It was my understanding that activation tagged your key to your os and your computer specific in the Microsoft Activation Key databases and that during update attempts your key and computer profile are cross checked against the Activation database for validity. As such if you do updates and report the same computer but different OSs, the non-recorded OS will not update.

The crux of the issue, and why I am seeking more clarification, is that if you are correct then dual boot systems using the original OS and the upgraded OS will work fine- but people are telling me they won't since the activation key is the same for both instances of the OS, even though they never run at the same time.

Windowz10, Jul 30, 2015
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    The activation will be checked with Microsoft activation servers.

If you try to have both activated, then eventually one or both will be deactivated.

Brink, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 - what to do with Win 7 activation keys?

1. Windows 10 - what to do with Win 7 activation keys? - Similar Threads - activation keys

2. Windows is activated with Generic Product Key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows is activated with Generic Product Key: Hello,To summarize the issue, when I install Windows Home or Pro, Windows takes the license from my Microsoft account. However, this license is the key known as "Generic Product Key". There is no OEM license on my device. When installing Windows, I check the "I do not have a...
  3. Windows is activated with Generic Product Key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows is activated with Generic Product Key: Hello,To summarize the issue, when I install Windows Home or Pro, Windows takes the license from my Microsoft account. However, this license is the key known as "Generic Product Key". There is no OEM license on my device. When installing Windows, I check the "I do not have a...
  4. Activation key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Activation key: Hi, Have installed windows on a new PC, have bought a new key on the app store on my windows account, and my new PC says I need a new activation key, error code 0xC0EA000A https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/activation-key/63425da1-12a5-4446-bee4-c71ef023c6c2
  5. Activation key

Activation key: Hi, Have installed windows on a new PC, have bought a new key on the app store on my windows account, and my new PC says I need a new activation key, error code 0xC0EA000A https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/activation-key/63425da1-12a5-4446-bee4-c71ef023c6c2
  6. I have computer with windows 8.1. I have new activation key for windows 11, but it won't...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have computer with windows 8.1. I have new activation key for windows 11, but it won't...: I have computer with windows 8.1. I have new activation key for windows 11, but it won't accept key. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-computer-with-windows-81-i-have-new/8ad138b6-90a3-4c64-96c0-79d58282c546
  7. I have computer with windows 8.1. I have new activation key for windows 11, but it won't...

I have computer with windows 8.1. I have new activation key for windows 11, but it won't...: I have computer with windows 8.1. I have new activation key for windows 11, but it won't accept key. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-computer-with-windows-81-i-have-new/8ad138b6-90a3-4c64-96c0-79d58282c546
  8. Will Windows 10 ask for the activation key after doing a Factory Reset?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Will Windows 10 ask for the activation key after doing a Factory Reset?: I've lost a lot of performance recently and before upgrading my pc, I want to factory reset it and hopefully get rid of something that may be causing the loss in performance. But I've been scared to do so since I do not know where or if I even wrote down my Windows activation...
  9. Will Windows 10 ask for the activation key after doing a Factory Reset?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Will Windows 10 ask for the activation key after doing a Factory Reset?: I've lost a lot of performance recently and before upgrading my pc, I want to factory reset it and hopefully get rid of something that may be causing the loss in performance. But I've been scared to do so since I do not know where or if I even wrote down my Windows activation...
  10. Will Windows 10 ask for the activation key after doing a Factory Reset?

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Windows 10 activation keys