Windows 10: Windows 10 will not re-start/shutdown without manual power down.

Discus and support Windows 10 will not re-start/shutdown without manual power down. in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello All, My current PC hangs on software shutdowns and restarts, my patience fails after more than ten hours. What info can I provide to assist in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by pdunderhill, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Windows 10 will not re-start/shutdown without manual power down.

Hello All,
    My current PC hangs on software shutdowns and restarts, my patience fails after more than ten hours. What info can I provide to assist in diagnosing this? The PC and OS otherwise working wonderfully.
    Obviously I'm never comfortable using a front panel power switch to power down so would welcome a solution, sfc scannow and the various dism options have not corrected this.

H/W is an ASUS H61 M/B, i7 3770, 8GB RAM, SanDisk 128GB drive C, the rest on request if relevant

Peter

:)

pdunderhill, Aug 13, 2015

2. Windows 10 Shutdown Issues

Windows 10 shutdown issues. Since upgrading from Win 7 to 10 when I try to go to start, power, shutdown my machine does not fully turn off. My laptop's power button LED stays on. To fully shutdown I have to manually hold down the power button for a few
    seconds and only then does the machine turn off.

NickVerdina, Aug 13, 2015
  3. ed375 Win User
    program sounds

Where do I place the sound I want to play at shutdown (for an added, not standard win 10 sound)?

What is the pathway? which folder?

I would rather have the shutdown sound in place and only have to modify the registry once.

Cancel that request.

I set win 10 to play sounds on startup & shutdown and didn't like the results. Not only did the sounds NOT play. When I did a warm re-start I had about 2.5 minutes of gray screen between the time win 10, appeared to shut down, and I saw a start-up screen
    ( start-up screen, Not my Desktop screen). Waaaaaaaayyyyyy too long! A power shut down took several times longer than normal( timed from clicking shut-down until the computer turned itself off). A cold start also took much longer than normal (Power on- to
    desktop screen showing).

I wonder why windows 10 with startup & shut down sounds takes WAY longer to re-start or shut down than windows 7 did.

ed375, Aug 13, 2015
  4. Windows 10 will not re-start/shutdown without manual power down.

Me, too.
    Built myself, using Gigabyte Mobo, etc., I7, 12 GB RAM
    Ran on Win 7 for years.
    Tried disabling the hybrid sleep option and that didn't improve anything.

thetraveler, Aug 14, 2015
  5. Thanks thetraveller,
    I'm running a desktop so hybrid etc options not really an option for me. I run on 100 octane best performance options.
    Should have added win 10 pro 64 bit fast track insider on latest updates.

Bit annoying as I would love to recommend 10 to other non technical users but in all conscience maybe not yet.

Peter

pdunderhill, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 will not re-start/shutdown without manual power down.

1. Windows 10 will not re-start/shutdown without manual power down. - Similar Threads - start shutdown without

2. Any way to re-order Shutdown, Sleep and Restart on Start Menu / Power?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Any way to re-order Shutdown, Sleep and Restart on Start Menu / Power?: Windows 10 - Start Menu - Power MenuI hate that Restart is at the bottom and Sleep at the top, with Shutdown crammed in the middle. You have no idea how many times I tried shutting down and ended up restarting or sleeping my computer. I don't want to hide Restart and Sleep...
  3. Any way to re-order Shutdown, Sleep and Restart on Start Menu / Power?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Any way to re-order Shutdown, Sleep and Restart on Start Menu / Power?: Windows 10 - Start Menu - Power MenuI hate that Restart is at the bottom and Sleep at the top, with Shutdown crammed in the middle. You have no idea how many times I tried shutting down and ended up restarting or sleeping my computer. I don't want to hide Restart and Sleep...
  4. Any way to re-order Shutdown, Sleep and Restart on Start Menu / Power?

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Power shutdown

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Power shutdown: Sometimes when I shutdown my ideapad s540, it won't shutdown properly. That's why the pc becomes super hot. Any suggestion what to do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/power-shutdown/be2b658e-fc29-4438-b6a4-bdc9cfc48726
  6. trigger the windows shutdown animation without actually shutting down

trigger the windows shutdown animation without actually shutting down: for a little project I have been working on I wanted to know if it was possible to trigger the shutting down screen animation in windows without actually shutting down the computer via script or something 144170
  7. Clean install windows 10 shutdown not powering hardware down

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Clean install windows 10 shutdown not powering hardware down: Ok so i have 2 issues... yesterday i decided to run a clean install of windows 10 64x on my machine. F12 bios (latest) with 1809 windows 10 8700k @5.2ghz 1080ti 960pro m.2 and 1 other m.2 storage drive. sound blaster z pcie sound card. How these events have...
  8. windows 10 shutdown become re stard

windows 10 shutdown become re stard: windows 10 shutdown become re stard https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-shutdown-become-re-stard/45ea9b35-4029-407d-8e12-675e2caaeb96
  9. Have to power down manually after latest update...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Have to power down manually after latest update...: Update forced on 8/18 caused the same issues on two of my computers running W10 . Cumulative Update for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB3081444) Updates were downloaded and all of a sudden I get about a dozen or so blank objects on my desktop that look like note...
  10. Windows 10 started not powering off on shutdown or restarting

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 started not powering off on shutdown or restarting: One of my laptops, the HP Elitebook 8460P with Windows 10 Creators Update, latest drivers and updates, started not power off on shutdown. It doesn't matter if I do a regular shutdown, Shift Shutdown, Restart, Safe Mode, "shutdown /s /t 0", it just goes through the steps and...