Windows 10: Windows 10 will not shut down

Discus and support Windows 10 will not shut down in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey Everyone, I have a desktop that I ran the update on from windows 7 up to windows 10. When I go to shutdown on this system it appears to begin... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by SLADEstroke, Sep 27, 2015.

1. Windows 10 will not shut down

Hey Everyone,

I have a desktop that I ran the update on from windows 7 up to windows 10.
    When I go to shutdown on this system it appears to begin the shutdown process. However, after a few moments with black screens and appearing to have shut down, the PC near turns off and shows the BIOS splash screen and begins to start windows up again.

I have tried various troubleshooting options on the internet though only resulting in
    - a screen every time I "shut down" that tells me that there has been an error and that the computer must restart, even though I was shutting it down in the first place... It also tells me that there is an error named "apple.sys" possibly causing the problem. The computer then restarts fine every time after that point though the only possible way of me shutting the computer down is manually holding the shut down button on my pc case. Then once I power up after that my computer fails to give power to my keyboard and mouse, to which I must then reset the BIOS every single time and then restart. This is the only way I can turn my pc back on after every time I manually power down - resetting the BIOS to bring power to my accessories. I dont really want to keep doing this every single night and plus I figure it must be bad for my pc.

Any troubleshooting or solutions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks *Smile (edit: have also tried turning Fast Startup off, with no such luck.)

:)

SLADEstroke, Sep 27, 2015

2. Computer will not shut down on selecting shut down option, restarts instead in Windows 10

Hello Fred,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We regret the inconvenience caused and will assist you in resolving the issue.

Before assisting further, I would like to ask you few questions:

• Did you check if the power settings are changed on your PC?
    • Are you facing the above issue since the upgrade?
    • Did you make any system changes prior to the issue?

You may be facing the above issue due to the system components conflicting with Windows 10 operating system. System settings may change after upgrading the OC to one version to another, reverting them to their respective setting changes will resolve
    the issue.

Method 1: Running troubleshooter will detect if there are any corrupted components present and will fix to restore the performance of the system. I suggest you to run the
    Power Troubleshooter and check if the issue is resolved.

• Press Windows logo key on the keyboard, type troubleshooting
      and select the top most search result.
    • Click on View All from the left side of the screen panel.
    • Select Power from the options,
      click on Advanced option and check Apply repairs automatically
      option.
    • Follow the on screen instructions.
    • Close the window and check if the changes are effective.

Method 2: If the issue persists, check if there is any changes made in the Power option settings by following the steps below and make necessary changes.

• Press Windows logo key on the keyboard, type
      Power Options
      and select the top most search result.
    • Select Choose what the power button options from the left side panel of the window.
    • From the windows select Shut Down from the drop down bar for the option
      When I press the power button under Power button settings.
    • Click on Save changes and close the window to check if the changes are effective.

Write to us with the answers to the above questions and the status of the issue on the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Sep 27, 2015
  3. eefred Win User
    Computer will not shut down on selecting shut down option, restarts instead in Windows 10

Original Title: Computer Restarts after Selecting Shutdown

After installing Windows 10, about 80% of the time, after selecting [Power] then [Shutdown], the computer screen will go black, then it will beep, and restart. It does not matter whether I shut down with the keyboard (Windows key, ^^ Enter, ^^Enter), or
    with the mouse (Select Windows Icon, Select Power, Select Shut down), about 80% of the time, the results are the same: Restart. It's getting to be annoying because I have to sign back in, and then go through the shutdown process
    again.

What to do?

eefred, Sep 27, 2015
  4. Kanata Win User

Windows 10 will not shut down

Check your BIOS settings to see if it's set to restart when there is a power failure.
    Also check in Device Manager for power management settings for devices and disable the wake functions.
    Worst case, may need to clear CMOS settings or update BIOS. Note configuration beforehand.

Kanata, Sep 27, 2015
Thema:

Windows 10 will not shut down

1. Windows 10 will not shut down - Similar Threads - shut down

2. Second window flashes when I shut down.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Second window flashes when I shut down.: Whenever I shut down my computer, a second window appears for a split second and then disappears instantly, what could be the issue? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/second-window-flashes-when-i-shut-down/c75cc92e-712e-4a64-9417-3b555f400199
  3. Second window flashes when I shut down.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Second window flashes when I shut down.: Whenever I shut down my computer, a second window appears for a split second and then disappears instantly, what could be the issue? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/second-window-flashes-when-i-shut-down/c75cc92e-712e-4a64-9417-3b555f400199
  4. Second window flashes when I shut down.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Why does my computer randomly shut itself down strictly during gaming?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does my computer randomly shut itself down strictly during gaming?: I have had my PC for about 3 years now, during some of those years recently I'd say maybe 2 almost, my PC has experienced random shut downs during gaming, it happened in roblox which isn't that heavy for the specs I'm using. I have a ryzen 3 3200g with 16gb of ram. My mother...
  6. Why does my computer randomly shut itself down strictly during gaming?

Why does my computer randomly shut itself down strictly during gaming?: I have had my PC for about 3 years now, during some of those years recently I'd say maybe 2 almost, my PC has experienced random shut downs during gaming, it happened in roblox which isn't that heavy for the specs I'm using. I have a ryzen 3 3200g with 16gb of ram. My mother...
  7. Why does my computer randomly shut itself down strictly during gaming?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Hard shut down leads to BCD file error 0xc0000098

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hard shut down leads to BCD file error 0xc0000098: My friend was having issues logging in to her computer Windows 11 sign-in screen was getting stuck, so we attempted to solve that by repeatedly holding down the power button to hard shut down and open the Recovery Environment as outlined here. However, when the computer...
  9. Hard shut down leads to BCD file error 0xc0000098

Hard shut down leads to BCD file error 0xc0000098: My friend was having issues logging in to her computer Windows 11 sign-in screen was getting stuck, so we attempted to solve that by repeatedly holding down the power button to hard shut down and open the Recovery Environment as outlined here. However, when the computer...
  10. My computer is stuck on 7% of update and not started and I shut down my computer for many...

My computer is stuck on 7% of update and not started and I shut down my computer for many...: My computer is stuck on 7% of update and not started and I shut down my computer for many times but it's not changed and stuck help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-computer-is-stuck-on-7-of-update-and-not/631f574a-c24e-41d5-8944-4647123c141a