Windows 10: Windows 10 will not start after power failure

Discus and support Windows 10 will not start after power failure in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Been running Windows 10 Upgrade for about 1 week now. Everything was working great until a power failure this afternoon. Turned PC back on and got this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Katman104, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Katman104 Win User

Windows 10 will not start after power failure

Been running Windows 10 Upgrade for about 1 week now. Everything was working great until a power failure this afternoon. Turned PC back on and got this message " Computer did not shut down correctly" then this message
    "Preparing automatic repair" then " Diagnosing your PC" then "Your PC did not start correctly". unable to repair or some such message then you get the option to turn it off, or advanced options and needless to say tried different options and nothing worked . I have a dead PC and do not know how to get it started again or do not know if it can be restored. One option was to revert to previous setup but could not do that either. I was running Windows 7 Professional Media which came loaded on the PC already.
    I do not have a restore disc. Any help will be appreciated. No BSOD, final option turn PC off.

:)

Katman104, Aug 23, 2015
  2. raybusch Win User

Windows 10 UPDATE takes forever, Twice got over 50 % and lost it, Due to power failure, makes me start over

Windows 10 takes forever and lose all after power failure

raybusch, Aug 23, 2015
  3. JayMehta1 Win User
    Black Screen with no cursor.

I have HP notebook 15ac621tx. Recently I upgraded my Windows 10 from 1703 to 1709. After using for some time, the screen started flickering to Black. It happened for some days. But now screen isnt starting at all. When I press power button, power led glows
    but nothing on screen. Not even HP logo which shows up during start. Also BIOS cant be started.

[Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Performance & system failures]

JayMehta1, Aug 23, 2015
  4. caperjack Win User

that's not good , if you system came pre-loaded with win7 then it should have a recovery partition ,that you should be able access and reinstall win7, your specs say you have win7 home ,not pro ,so did you do something to your original win7 install to get it to pro,

some option on getting to Toshiba recovery ,maybe ,
    https://www.bing.com/search?q=access...03d0fe6e99ec8e

caperjack, Aug 23, 2015
  5. WhyMe Win User
    Hello and welcome to the forum *Smile

Was your Win10 upgrade successfully activated? If it was, then one easy option would be to clean install Windows 10. You can create the installation disk on another pc. I am of course assuming that that the power failure did not cause any physical damage to hardware. I'm also assuming that you do regular backups of important files and will not therefore be losing any valuable data.

Edited due to bad typos

WhyMe, Aug 23, 2015
  6. Katman104 Win User
    Yes, it was activated. Not sure I follow you about the clean install on another PC. The only one that I have is a Toshiba Laptop
    L555D-S7005 and it will not update because of 0XC1900101-0X40017 error after 75% installation to windows 10. Can you explain a little more please. Thanks to those that have replied

Katman104, Aug 23, 2015
  7. Katman104 Win User
    The PC I am posting with is my Toshiba Laptop and it is running Windows 7 Home Premium. How do I get to the recovery partition? I have access only to the CMD prompt on the desktop, which is a HP 6000.

Katman104, Aug 23, 2015
  8. WhyMe Win User

What I mean is that your machine is currently dead in the water yeah. So you need to get yourself to another pc if possible (maybe a friend, family or work will let you use theirs). Then create a Win10 installation disk on a USB flash drive by downloading it direct from Microsoft. Return to your dead machine and install Win10 by booting into your newly made USB Win10 installation disk.

Here, have a look at these two tutorials for guidance & instructions

How to Create a Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10

How to Clean Install Windows 10

WhyMe, Aug 23, 2015
  9. You can create the installation disc from any working PC; it doesn't have to be a Windows 10 PC. The easiest way to do it is to download the Media Creation Tool and run it. You'll need some type of media to put it on, such as a blank DVD or flash drive.

However, my guess is that you have a hardware failure. Whatever caused the power failure could have caused hardware damage at the same time. SSDs, for example, are particularly susceptible to damage from power failures (link). You may not have an SSD, but that doesn't rule out a hardware failure. Another thing which can cause hardware damage, and which also often results in a power failure at the same, is a nearby lightning strike. Lightning generates an EMP, and electronics which are in close proximity can be damaged by it.

MaximRecoil, Aug 23, 2015
  10. caperjack Win User
    you coulc try this ,I found this on Toshiba's home page ,using bing search , good luck ...
    Using Partitioned Recovery Method (Free Recovery)

Most Toshiba laptops with come with the factory software recovery image stored in a special hidden partition on the hard drive of the laptop. The factory software recovery image allows the user to recover the laptop to its factory fresh condition as when it was new.
    This partition may also be referred to as the Partitioned Recovery Method or Free Recovery option.

IMPORTANT: The recovery process deletes information stored on the internal storage drive. Be sure to save your work to external media before executing the recovery.

• Make sure the computer is turned off ("Shut-down" from the Windows Start menu)
    • Remove any peripherals such an external mouse, keyboard, monitor, USB flash drive etc.
    • Make sure the AC Adapter is plugged in and working.
    • On machines with the F key numbers on the top edge of the keys and in White:
      • Press and hold the 0 (zero) key and power up the laptop.
      • Release the 0 (zero) key when the recovery warning screen appears.
      On machines with the F key numbers on the bottom edge of the keys and in Gray:
      • Power up the laptop.
      • When the initial TOSHIBA screen displays, press the F12 key to enter the boot menu.
      • Use the arrow keys to select the HDD Recovery option and press the enter key to begin.
    • The TOSHIBA recovery wizard warning screen appears stating that when the recovery is executed all data will be deleted and the original factory software image will be rewritten. If the recovery process offers a choice of Operating Systems, select the appropriate one for you.
    • After you are sure you have everything you want from the laptop saved, click Yes.
    • When the Toshiba Recovery Wizard opens, the default and recommended option is "Recovery of Factory Default Software".
    • After selecting your desired recovery method, select Next.
    • On the next screen you may have recovery method options. The default and recommended method is to Recover to Out of Box state.
    • Select next to continue.
    • Follow the on screen instructions as you navigate through the system recovery steps.

source .---------
    http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/System-...-7/ta-p/279643

caperjack, Aug 23, 2015
  11. Katman104 Win User
    The Pc that is dead in the water is my desktop which is a HP6000. Sorry for the confusion. The only way I can get into the HP6000 is from the CMD prompt.

Katman104, Aug 23, 2015
  12. Katman104 Win User
    Thanks for the help. I downloaded the USB ISO and that is what I installed the original upgrade from on the PC. Can i use it to re-install windows 10 and just change the boot sequence in Bios? Thanks in advance

Katman104, Aug 23, 2015
  13. WhyMe Win User

You can use the disk as either an upgrade, an installation or a recovery disk.

Alternatively, you could try the Toshiba info linked and quoted by @caperjack to access the Toshiba recovery partition (if it is still functioning correctly). It may be able to rebuild your original Windows installation. You could then use your new USB Win10 disk to do the upgrade if you wish. Lots and lots of ways to skin a cat.

WhyMe, Aug 23, 2015
  14. Katman104 Win User
    Thanks to all who replied. Think hard drive is defective. Have one on order will keep everyone posted as to progress. Checked disk with CMD Prompt and it is not even seen. I can run live UBUNTU disk and pc works ok. Checked DPS self test in setup and it showed it was defective.

Katman104, Aug 24, 2015
  15. caperjack Win User
    hope that works for you ,good luck

caperjack, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 will not start after power failure - Similar Threads - start power failure

2. Windows 10 and Power Failures

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 and Power Failures: Is it just me, or is Windows 10 much less resilient when it comes to power outages? I remember back in the day when the power at the office would go out and when it came back on, the PCs just booted up. These days, I have to reinstall the OS on multiple machines after a...
  3. Windows 10 and Power Failures

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 and Power Failures: Is it just me, or is Windows 10 much less resilient when it comes to power outages? I remember back in the day when the power at the office would go out and when it came back on, the PCs just booted up. These days, I have to reinstall the OS on multiple machines after a...
  4. Windows 10 and Power Failures

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows 10 not starting after power outage

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 not starting after power outage: Power went out and now windows doesnt start. All the basic fixes dont work Startup Repair - Couldnt repair your PC System Restore - To use System Restore, you must specify which Windows installation to restore. Restart this computer, select an operating system, and then...
  6. Unable to boot into windows 10 after a power failure

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to boot into windows 10 after a power failure: Hi, Last night, the battery drained out and the laptop switched off automatically. As i was tired, did not bother to plug it immediately. Next day morning, I was not able to boot my windows 10 machine. I get Preparing Automatic Repair Diagnosing your PC Later, a...
  7. Auto start after power failure

in Windows 10 Customization
    Auto start after power failure: I have been trying to determine if my version of Windows (1809) will do an auto-start after a power failure. Most of the info I find tells me to access the UEFI settings, but for some reason I am unable to do that through the processes outlined. There's simply no option to...
  8. Windows 10 fails to boot after power failure

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 fails to boot after power failure: After a recent power failure, windows 10 failed to boot. It tried to Automatic repair but failed and show the Advance options --> troubleshoot. In that menu I tried with Startup Repair even though it fails to repair windows. please suggest me how can I solve this issue of...
  9. Problems after a power failure

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Problems after a power failure: Hello All, I have Windows 10 Pro on my computer. Version 1803(OS build 17134.407) OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 635 Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 5 Stepping 3 Processor Count: 4 RAM: 5887 Mb Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD...
  10. Power failure Windows 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Power failure Windows 10: Hello, please help me. My problem is accidentally run out of power while installing upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 7. I have successfully installed Windows 10 through a bootable drive created with the Media Creation Tool from Microsoft. The problem is, I cannot activate...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. could not start power failure