Windows 10: Windows 10: wish I could trade it for persistence

Discus and support Windows 10: wish I could trade it for persistence in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Oh where or where can my Windows 10 be, Oh where oh where can it be Impatience is a terrible trait...wish I could trade it for persistence *What... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by AFTommy, Jul 28, 2015.

1. AFTommy Win User

Windows 10: wish I could trade it for persistence

Oh where or where can my Windows 10 be,
    Oh where oh where can it be

Impatience is a terrible trait...wish I could trade it for persistence
    *What

:)

AFTommy, Jul 28, 2015

2. Windows 10 Unexpected shutdown on start up

OK, so i figured it out myself

Found the logfile in "C:\Windows\Minidump".

You need the Windows Development Kit to open it and a bit of googling to understand it.

Found out that a Daemon driver caused an error. Removed Daemon but this didn't solve it. (ps: Daemon itself worked normally).

I let hibernate my computer again and found another error with sptd2.sys: SCSI Pass Through Direct layer

More google and ended up on the duplexsecure site. Downloaded the W10 version and voila: problem fixed.

For the Windows support team: It would be really helpfull if you could pass problems to a more skilled helpdesk who can do more than proposing the standard solutions in case those won't work.

Cheers

windows-10, Jul 28, 2015
  3. Windows 10 Unexpected shutdown on start up

OK, so I also found out that this occurs when sleepmode (for me after 3 hours) changes into hibernate mode.

Seems like the going into hibernate and/or starting up from HIbernate results in a shutdown. In safeboot it works perfectly.

Anyone any idea how I can figure out where it goes wrong. Is there a way to log this (I couldn't find it in bootlog)

windows-10, Jul 28, 2015
  4. Windows 10: wish I could trade it for persistence

You don't have to wait for the notification to pop up. You can download it directly from Microsoft and create your install media, or go right ahead with the upgrade.

DeaconFrost, Jul 28, 2015
  5. CalBear37 Win User
    CalBear37, Jul 28, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Jul 28, 2015
  7. animedan Win User
    don't do a clean install yet, it will come up saying your key has been blocked

animedan, Jul 28, 2015
  8. AFTommy Win User

Media creation tool downloads ok but about 70% thru "Creating Windows Media" it dies. Error states 'cannot complete'. I did select "Upgrade this PC now" instead of create media for installation on another device. I tried it two times. You know what Einstein said
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.". I guess I'll have to wait for "Windows Update" to find me.
    *Doh

AFTommy, Jul 28, 2015
  9. How's your disk space? I downloaded the ISO and it created two folders on C: Windows~BT & Windows~WS - both are hidden. Not sure why it created the folders (I'm guessing two because I have a home and a pro system to upgrade) that but I guess it downloads the esd and converts it. The two folders plus the ISO probably amount to over 16 GB - again, that's an estimate. Lots of post guessing here - sorry about that.

I already ran Disk Cleanup which removed the ~WS fodler, but had to manually delete the ~BT folder (no issues deleting - did not have to change owner or add my user to security)

If the folders are there, try removing them as described above.

If you haven't tried this - download the ISO and just mount it, then run setup from the mounted ISO - with Window running (don't create external media and don't boot to it)

Slartybart, Jul 29, 2015
  10. Windowz10 Win User
    I actually use the MS tool and pushed the installation stuff to a usb flash drive, and used Resource Manager to watch what it was doing.

Yes, there are several temporary folders it creates (including those you named) first but before the end of my approach it merged them to a single folder, then expanded that on top of my USB drive. The final size of the data on the USB drive was just over 3.0 gbytes.

That's all that was required to do a reboot and a clean installation.

Thus it appears that only the final installed Windows 10 will hit 16-20gbytes.

Windowz10, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10: wish I could trade it for persistence - Similar Threads - wish trade persistence

2. Persistent error - memory could not be read

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Persistent error - memory could not be read: I am getting this error every time I start a specific version of an application - C:\World of Warcraft\_classic era \WowClassic.exe Exception: ACCESS VIOLATION - The instruction at "Ox00007ffa027cf207" referenced memory at "Ox0000000000000058". The memory could not be "read"....
  3. Persistent error - memory could not be read

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Persistent error - memory could not be read: I am getting this error every time I start a specific version of an application - C:\World of Warcraft\_classic era \WowClassic.exe Exception: ACCESS VIOLATION - The instruction at "Ox00007ffa027cf207" referenced memory at "Ox0000000000000058". The memory could not be "read"....
  4. I hate Windows 11 so incredibly much! I wish I could get rid of it and install Windows 10...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I hate Windows 11 so incredibly much! I wish I could get rid of it and install Windows 10...: I could list a hundred complaints but it would only be repeating what dozens of articles and other users have already said. As a graphic designer and illustrator and long-time Windows OS user, this is easily the WORST, most obnoxious, pompous, presumptuous, infantilizing,...
  5. I hate Windows 11 so incredibly much! I wish I could get rid of it and install Windows 10...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I hate Windows 11 so incredibly much! I wish I could get rid of it and install Windows 10...: I could list a hundred complaints but it would only be repeating what dozens of articles and other users have already said. As a graphic designer and illustrator and long-time Windows OS user, this is easily the WORST, most obnoxious, pompous, presumptuous, infantilizing,...
  6. can I trade in Windows 11 home for Win 10 Pro?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can I trade in Windows 11 home for Win 10 Pro?: Just received my new computer with Windows 11 home. It sucks! It looks like MS is trying to emulate Android. If I wanted a freaking android device I would have purchased a Chromebook! Android sucks, and emulating something that sucks also sucks!Where to begin? Well the Start...
  7. Purchasing windows 10 trade price

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Purchasing windows 10 trade price: I run a small computer company building customized gaming PCs, my question is where can i buy windows 10 at trade price for my custom builds as at the moment i am paying £99 per license from my trade supplier any help or direction appriciated...
  8. I wish to upgrade to win 10.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I wish to upgrade to win 10.: Split from this thread. Not sure if I'm in the right place. I wish to upgrade to win 10. I only have 5gb of space on my ssd. If I do have enough space can I afterwards delete all win 7 to give more space please?...
  9. Windows 10 egg timer (I wish!)

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 egg timer (I wish!): Having used Windows 7 for several years I just got a new laptop with Windows 10. It's awful. How can I get rid of those nasty pulsating dots (be they circular or linear) while I'm waiting for something to happen? I have to look away lest they induce an epileptic fit!...
  10. trading windows 10 laptops with my brother

in Windows 10 Support
    trading windows 10 laptops with my brother: Hello all, me and my brother want to trade laptops and they both have windows 10. how do we go about moving his files and stuff to mine, and vice versa? thank you *Smile mark 61423