Windows 10: Windows 10 without system reserved partitions

Discus and support Windows 10 without system reserved partitions in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi can anybody please explain these two questions: A- How many are the partitions that windows 10 automatically creates during installation, what are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by wiss1, May 5, 2017.

1. wiss1 Win User

Windows 10 without system reserved partitions

Hi can anybody please explain these two questions:
    A- How many are the partitions that windows 10 automatically creates during installation, what are they for and what is it stored in them?
    B- if I choose not to have them (for example by creating the windows partition with another software before installing windows 10) are there drawbacks, does windows run exactly the same as having them?
    thank you!

:)

wiss1, May 5, 2017
  2. qinada Win User

cannot locate system reserved partition on Disk Management

This Windows 10 upgrade error is usually caused by insufficient space on the System Reserved partition. When you install Windows to a partitioned MBR disk, Windows will create an additional partition without drive letter labeled as System Reserved, which
    stores important boot files and normally locates before the system partition (often known as C: drive). On Windows 7, it often takes 100MB disk space, 350MB on Windows 8, and 500MB on Windows 10. Since upgrading to Windows 10 needs more space on the System
    Reserved partition, Windows 10 will not upgrade unless it detects that the System Reserved partition has enough space. If you fresh install Windows 10 to a specific partition, you won't receive this error. By the way, the System Reserved partition first appearance
    was on Windows 7, so you won't have this error on previous versions of Windows.

To solve this problem of being unable to update System Reserved partition, you can increase the size of System Reserved partition using third party free partition software like AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard, which can manage your disks and partitions
    without data loss.

For detailed solution, see this article: Fix "We Couldn’t Update the System Reserved Partition" Error

qinada, May 5, 2017
  3. No System Reserved Partition After Free Upgrade and Clean Install of Windows 10 Pro x64

I don't think the proposed solution applies to my problem. The Windows 7 system upgraded from didn't have system reserved partitions. So the system reserved partition can't be inadequate it didn't exist. Also, the system partition was formatted during the
    clean install so any existing system reserved partition would have been deleted. No errors were encountered during the upgrade and Windows 10 seems to work fine.

What I'm trying to do is determine is how to add a system reserved partition for the Windows 10 system without one. From what I've read each Windows 10 system should have a system reserved partition. Do I just need to redo the clean install?

Thanks.

Bill

B_Phillips, May 5, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Here's the typical Win 10 UEFI partition layout:
    UEFI/GPT-based hard drive partitions

Windows 10 without system reserved partitions [​IMG]

The System partition -16Mb
    What is the System Reserved Partition and Can You Delete It?

The Recovery partition - 450Mb- supports automatic repair and Advanced Troubleshooting tools.

EFI partition: (shown as MSR above) - 100Mb
    windows 10 - What is an EFI system partition? - Super User

These are small - why would you go to the trouble of thinking about removing them anyway?

Note the partition layout for legacy BIOS based Windows 10 is different.

dalchina, May 5, 2017
  5. f14tomcat Win User
    Not to say dangerous, too.

f14tomcat, May 5, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Some people have had problems with Windows Updates failing when they have not had the standard System partition they were booting from.

NavyLCDR, May 5, 2017
  7. I use a legacy BIOS and I have only one partition. Windows creates a recovery partition but I delete it and extend drive C:\. If I recover anything I use Macrium Reflect to do it.

Josey Wales, May 5, 2017
  8. Mystere Win User

This question is unanswerable, because it starts with a false premise. The number of partitions created by Windows varies depending on the type of BIOS and/or type of boot being done. If you boot using a legacy BIOS, only one partition will be created. If you boot from an EFI bios using an EFI boot, then it will create 3 by default. A 4th partition is possible, for recovery, but it is not automatically created by default.

Mystere, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 without system reserved partitions - Similar Threads - without system reserved

2. Move system partition to system reserve partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Move system partition to system reserve partition: I had just install a new m.2 NVMe card yesterday and had cloned my primary drive over to the m.2. It was working wonderfully and was booting up okay then I had decided to clear the original primary drive. I had then tried updating windows from settings and when it tried to...
  3. Move system partition to system reserve partition

in Windows 10 Support
    Move system partition to system reserve partition: I had just install a new m.2 NVMe card yesterday and had cloned my primary drive over to the m.2. It was working wonderfully and was booting up okay then I had decided to clear the original primary drive. I had then tried updating windows from settings and when it tried to...
  4. System Reserved Partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    System Reserved Partition: Hello, I did some storage upgrade on my system by adding an M.2 NVME 1TB SSD drive and cloned my old drive that has windows 10 operating system. I now have two systems reserved partition on both the old and newly installed drive. The system reserved section limits my...
  5. System Reserve partition missing in Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System Reserve partition missing in Windows 10: I've been getting a "Couldn't complete the update" error for some time now. Doing a little research, it looks like I need to expand my system reserve partition. However, when I run disk management, no system reserve partition shows up to expand. So, the question is: A) am...
  6. System reserved Partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System reserved Partition: as you can probably see in the screenshot , my System reserved Partition and the partition where my windows is installed are on totally different drives: windows: drive 0 (SSD) System reserved Partition: drive 1 (HDD) what i want is simple: move System reserved Partition...
  7. Recovery Partitions/System Reserved Partitions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Recovery Partitions/System Reserved Partitions: I have Windows 10 Home Version 1803 installed in my pc. Windows is installed on Disk 5. Disk 5 contains my C drive and D partition that I created after Windows was installed. It also contains a partition named System Reserved which Windows created when I installed Windows...
  8. Windows 10 can't update system reserved partition; my system reserved partition is empty.

Windows 10 can't update system reserved partition; my system reserved partition is empty.: Hi, Trying to eliminate the freezing up problem with Windows 10. Recently noticed a key update KB3176938 has not been loaded to my system. In the settings, tried to update but got the message "Can't update the system reserved partition." OK, so poked around in Microsoft...
  9. No system reserved partition

No system reserved partition: Installed a Samsung SSD on my Asus CM6730-06 desktop running Win7. the Win7 OS was cloned from the Asus Pc to Samsung SSD. Windows 7 runs great off the SSD. Got a Windows 10 upgrade notice and received an automatic download of Win10 but when it tries to install I get the...
  10. How to boot Win10 without the System Reserved Partition ?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to boot Win10 without the System Reserved Partition ?: It is possible in Win8. If it is possible in Win10, I'd like to know how. 5233