Windows 10: Windows 10 won't allow me to use Taskbar/Start Menu

Discus and support Windows 10 won't allow me to use Taskbar/Start Menu in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This probably has nothing to do with the problem, but I was rearranging some stuff on the Start Menu and Taskbar before it started. So, basically, when... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Kyaaa, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Kyaaa Win User

Windows 10 won't allow me to use Taskbar/Start Menu

This probably has nothing to do with the problem, but I was rearranging some stuff on the Start Menu and Taskbar before it started. So, basically, when I try to hover over the Taskbar, the mouse simply switches to the "loading" animation and won't let me open any pinned programs or open the Start Menu. If I try spamming the Start button on the taskbar, it opens sometimes but closes after a split second, before I can do anything. The same happens with right click menus on the desktop, they instantly disappear. The screen goes black every few seconds. I can still open desktop programs, though they don't seem to be useful. When I open programs, they seem to be exempt from these effects, excluding the fact that most programs are automatically closed. I admittedly do not have much knowledge of computers. I tried most things that came to mind. None worked, of course. I tried doing multiple forced resets, removing the battery, made a useless attempt at resetting the normal way, I tried scanning the registry for issues with CCleaner, I tried getting towards the Control Panel via the right click menu, but it automatically closed. I also tried using Powershell but it took me like an hour just to open it and wasn't of much help either. And lastly I tried ending tasks on the Task Manager, but that just made the entire screen black, so thats great. I can still use the Internet so thats pretty great I guess. But Google didn't help, so I still have no idea how to fix it.
    Please help.

:)

Kyaaa, Nov 24, 2015
  2. YorgH Win User

Can't resize Windows 10 Start Menu if taskbar is vertical

I'm running Windows 10 Pro build 1511 on a Lenovo T450s. I have the taskbar aligned vertically along the left side of the screen. The problem is that the start menu will only come out about half way across the screen and won't allow me to drag it wider.
    I discovered a temporary workaround by moving the taskbar to the bottom and then opening the start menu and dragging it full width, and then moving the taskbar back to the left again. Except after some time, the start menu will revert to it's narrower width
    and then I will have to do that all over again. I also noticed while testing that if the taskbar is vertical, if I open the start menu and it is fully wide, it will allow me to resize it to the narrower setting, but then will not let me resize it full width
    again. I also tried testing having the taskbar vertically on the right and it misbehaved the same way. Is this a known bug? Is there a fix?

YorgH, Nov 24, 2015
  3. Windows start up menu inaccessible, task bar shortcuts won't respond to rmb

Title. Happened yesterday. I cannot right click anything on my taskbar, and the start up menu won't allow me to open it at all unless I use the rmb.

I've tried searching online for a solution, nothing. and I tried resetting windows explorer in task manager but also it did nothing.

Driftw00d94, Nov 24, 2015
  4. dperecky Win User

Hello. If you have a Command Prompt icon on your desktop, then open it in Administrator mode and run:

scf /scannow,

then run the dism command...
    DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Plse see this article for for details: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...c-695b60477a93

Hint: Back up your data first, just to be safe.

dperecky, Nov 24, 2015
  5. dperecky Win User
    If you do Not have a command prompt icon available on your desktop, you can make one by:
    • right-mouse click on the desktop
    • new
    • shortcut
    • in "type the location of the item", paste: %windir%\system32\cmd.exe
    • click the Next button
    • finish button

To open the command prompt in Administrator mode, right-mouse click on the icon, then click on the little context menu that is displayed.

hope that helps

God Bless

dperecky, Nov 24, 2015
  6. Edward Win User
    Try Sfc/scannow in CMD

Edward, Nov 24, 2015
  7. batlhilz Win User
    i still have the same effect however, its random as it can get, once a week, once a month or so. reboot helps. WIN+L for logout and then just restart the computer.

SFC /scannow etc never helped with that case so i just decided to live with it

batlhilz, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 won't allow me to use Taskbar/Start Menu - Similar Threads - won't allow Taskbar

2. Start menu and Taskbar

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Start menu and Taskbar: My windows key won't open Starrt menu, start menu not working and cant click on icons on taskbar. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-and-taskbar/42d3aa3f-6402-4283-96d7-4265d76fc090
  3. Windows won't allow me to upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows won't allow me to upgrade: Hi, I am happy how Microsoft works with their system.I would like to upgrade to windows 11 but it wouldn't allow me.Saying that my PC is not eligible for upgrade. I am using i5 processor, 8gb ram and a maximushero viii board. Please help....
  4. Windows won't allow me to upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows won't allow me to upgrade: Hi, I am happy how Microsoft works with their system.I would like to upgrade to windows 11 but it wouldn't allow me.Saying that my PC is not eligible for upgrade. I am using i5 processor, 8gb ram and a maximushero viii board. Please help....
  5. Windows won't allow me to upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. Taskbar and Start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar and Start menu: Hello Microsoft Community! I want a problem solve to the taskber, the problem is that I want to know what is the main thing to what apps are pinned to the task bar and how are they organized, I want the same thing in the start menu, I have a 21H1 version of windows 10....
  7. Windows 10 1809 Start Menu not allowing input

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 1809 Start Menu not allowing input: Start Menu does not take any input until I run ctfmon using task manager. ctfmon is not disabled, fails to work. I am a local administrator on the machine I have done the following Installed latest Updates SFC /ScanNow DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth Chkdsk...
  8. Windows won't allow me to upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows won't allow me to upgrade: Hello, Currently brand new computer, came with Windows 10 Home 32 bit installed. I wanted to upgrade it to 64 bit since I have the license key for the program and I also checked several times that indeed this is a 64bit capable build. I can only find...
  9. Start menu won't open from taskbar on the desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu won't open from taskbar on the desktop: I upgraded to Windows 10 last night and have had nothing but problems. The biggest one is the fact that I cannot open the start menu, I had worked around it by right clicking it and then selecting what I needed from there. However now that doesn't even work. Any help...
  10. Start menu and other taskbar items won't open

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu and other taskbar items won't open: Hello, For some reason, my Start menu won't open, by both mouse or keyboard button. Other taskbar items (bottom right icons) aren't opening either, e.g. battery info, wifi menu, audio settings, calendar/clock, and messages. However, I can open the tray only. I tried...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 - not allowing me to open document from taskbar