Windows 10: Windows 10 won't boot after restoring partition

Discus and support Windows 10 won't boot after restoring partition in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Around a year ago I wanted to test out Windows 10, so I created a 100GB partition on my 250GB SSD and installed it there and dual booted with my main... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Wallboy, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Wallboy Win User

Windows 10 won't boot after restoring partition

Around a year ago I wanted to test out Windows 10, so I created a 100GB partition on my 250GB SSD and installed it there and dual booted with my main OS Windows 7. After a few months I was beginning to run out of space and decided to stick with just Windows 7. However, in case I wanted to return to Windows 10 I made a clone of that partition using Clonezilla and threw that image on one of my backup HDDs.

Fast forward a year later, I just got a new 500GB SSD. My idea is to use the 500GB SSD as my Windows 7 OS drive and my 250GB SSD for Windows 10 that I would restore from the image.

I first used Macrium Reflect to clone the entire 250GB disk to the 500GB and then chose the 500GB as my main boot drive in the BIOS. That all went well and I booted right into my new drive. I then formatted the 250GB SSD to get it ready for restoring my Windows 10 image.

I then rebooted into Clonezilla and went through the restoration process of the Win 10 image with no errors. After a reboot into Windows 7 I applied a drive letter to the 250GB and I can see my Windows 10 file structure just fine and dandy.

I then rebooted my PC and hit F8 to get the boot menu and I select the Windows 10 drive and all I get is a blinking cursor.

My first thought is when I saved the Windows 10 partition it didn't save the MBR information which was probably part of my 100MB System Reserve partition from my other drive. So I first disabled my Windows 7 500GB SSD in the BIOS so my Windows 10 installation repair wouldn't be able to see it and mess with anything there. I went to Troubleshoot and and first tried the "Startup Repair" quick option. It went through the process and automatically rebooted, but I still got the blinking cursor. I then tried going to the command prompt in the installation CD and did the whole /fixmbr /fixboot /rebuildbcd dealio. Restarted and still the blinking cursor.

My guess is the information it needs is on that System Partition that no longer exists on that drive? Though I thought that is what the repair stuff would rebuild.

I should mention that what I want is completely separate OS's on each drive WITHOUT a boot manager between them. I still want to use my Windows 7 as my main OS, but if I ever want to boot into Windows 10 for the DX12 games I can do so with F8.

Another idea I had would be to make a fresh install of Windows 10 on that drive. Then delete just the Windows 10 partition, leaving the other partitions (system reserve, etc) intact, and then restore the clonezilla windows 10 image in that fresh allocated space. I'm not sure if that would work?

Any help on why my Windows 10 is not booting and what else I can try would be appreciated.

:)

Wallboy, Dec 2, 2017

2. Windows 10 System Won't Boot

I have a dual-boot Windows 10 system. Each Windows 10 system is on a separate drive.

The primary partition (the first one installed and the one on the drive with the system reserved partition) became unstable and and wouldn't boot. I believe that the master boot record was also damaged because booting the secondary partition became unreliable.

However, after several tries the secondary Windows 10 partition booted and went through a system repair and update process that took several hours and rebooted a number of times. Once this process was complete, a recovery partition had been added to the
    disk containing the secondary partition and the secondary became the primary partition. Now it's the secondary (used to be the primary) Windows 10 partition that won't boot.

Is there anyway to restore Windows on the currently secondary partition? Before it quit working all together I'd tried creating recovery media on a USB drive but I haven't been able to figure a way to use it. I also haven't been able to find any instructions
    on how to use it. Is there some way I might be able to use that to restore the partition? If not, can I create and use install media for the repair?

Finally, how can I go about restoring the the repaired system as the primary system and reactivating the system reserved partition on that disk? Then can I get rid of the Recovery Partition on the other system drive?

Thanks.

Bill

B_Phillips, Dec 2, 2017
  3. Edit partitions while installing Windows 10

Thank you for your answer.

In my previous experience, installing Windows after Ubuntu causes Ubuntu partition to be deleted. Won't this happen with Windows 10 too?

And if yes, what will happen to GRUB after removing the Ubuntu partition? Will I still be able to boot into Windows 8.1?

Thank you for your patience

AndreaPivetta, Dec 2, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

We need to see a screenshot of disk management with all of the columns widened so we can see all the data in them:
    Disk Management - How to Post a Screenshot of General Tips Tutorials

If your computer is UEFI, you are going to need to create a fat32 EFI System partition on the Windows 10 SSD to boot from. Your efforts so far have only created boot files inside the OS partition for legacy BIOS (or CSM mode) booting which a UEFI computer cannot boot from (unless you enable legacy BIOS or CSM mode in firmware settings).

NavyLCDR, Dec 2, 2017
  5. zbook New Member
    zbook, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 won't boot after restoring partition - Similar Threads - won't boot restoring

2. Windows won't boot after partition management

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows won't boot after partition management: Hello, on Windows 10 I recently used "Resize-C/IM-Magic partition resizer" to move my C: drive partition to the left where there was about 500mb of unallocated space. To apply the change it required a reboot, I was then going to extend the partition through Disk Management...
  3. Windows won't boot after partition management

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows won't boot after partition management: Hello, on Windows 10 I recently used "Resize-C/IM-Magic partition resizer" to move my C: drive partition to the left where there was about 500mb of unallocated space. To apply the change it required a reboot, I was then going to extend the partition through Disk Management...
  4. Windows won't boot after partition management

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Windows 10 will not boot after partition merge.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 will not boot after partition merge.: I used Aomei Partition Assistant to merge an unallocated partition with the main OS partition and now Windows will not boot. I get the following error: "No bootable devices found."I tried using a bootable USB drive to access the troubleshooting advanced options but no luck....
  6. Windows 10 will not boot after partition merge.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 will not boot after partition merge.: I used Aomei Partition Assistant to merge an unallocated partition with the main OS partition and now Windows will not boot. I get the following error: "No bootable devices found."I tried using a bootable USB drive to access the troubleshooting advanced options but no luck....
  7. Windows 10 will not boot after partition merge.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Partitioned drive gone after restoring Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Partitioned drive gone after restoring Windows 10: Greetings fellow earthlings,After trying to install the latest Win 10 update every which way and failing, I was left with one choice - Full restore via settings. The 4Tb Western Digital HDD had 2 main partitions - Drive C which is home to the OS , and Drive E - home to...
  9. Computer won't boot after deleting data partition

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer won't boot after deleting data partition: I have three drives. Disk 0: Samsung 870 EVO 2.5" SATA SSD (1TB) Disk 1: WD Blue 3.5" SATA HD (1TB) Disk 2: WD Blue 3.5" SATA HD (1TB) I have a dual-boot: Windows 10 Pro 20H2 on C:\ on Disk 0 Windows 7 Home on K:\ on Disk 2 If I delete partition F:\ on Disk 0 I can no longer...
  10. Windows 10 Update... Now it won't Boot or Restore.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Update... Now it won't Boot or Restore.: Windows apparently updated over the night. When I tried to restart the machine the circle just spins after the BIOS screen. I've tried: Startup repair System Restore - none of the 3 restore points loaded System Restore from Safe Mode Uninstall Quality Update Uninstall...