Windows 10: Windows 10 won't boot, and automatic repair won't work

Discus and support Windows 10 won't boot, and automatic repair won't work in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When I turn on the computer and pass through BIOS, the Windows 10 icon comes up, then the rotating loading circle appears, then the icon disappears,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by fanob5, Feb 4, 2017.

1. fanob5 Win User

Windows 10 won't boot, and automatic repair won't work

When I turn on the computer and pass through BIOS, the Windows 10 icon comes up, then the rotating loading circle appears, then the icon disappears, leaving the little rotating circle of dots, ad infinitum. After powering down and back up, the Windows 10 icon appears along with the message preparing Automatic Repair, then Diagnosing your PC, then a blue background screen comes up with the header "Automatic Repair", followed by Your PC did not start correctly, Press "Restart" to restart your PC, which can sometimes fix the problem. You can also press "Advanced options" to try other options to repair your PC. This is followed with two buttons, "Restart" (highlighted) and "Advanced options". The problem here is that my mouse and keyboard no longer work, and I am unable to select either option.*cry
    Powering down and restarting only runs through the same scenario.

HELP!

:)

fanob5, Feb 4, 2017
  2. ElijahP_7 Win User

Windows 10 error 0x0000074

So I recently updated to windows 10 from windows 7 and it worked for a bit, but now every time I boot, I get this error. The automatic repair won't fix it either.

ElijahP_7, Feb 4, 2017
  3. klcook Win User
    Windows 10 repairs itself and repair disc not booting.

Original Title: windows 10 repair

My repair disc won't boot my pc. What do I do to be able to run the scan as the pc automatically tries to repair itself

klcook, Feb 4, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, as your mouse and keyboard no longer seem to work, purely as an experiment, boot from a Windows 10 install medium,
    Windows 10 ISO Download

or if you prefer, Kyhi's boot DVD/USB drive available from the top of the Software and Apps section of this forum - or any other bootable CD/DVD/flash drive you have.

See if your mouse and keyboard work with that and post the outcome. Thanks.

History: can you also suggest what led to this? For example:
    My PC was working perfectly yesterday but when I turned it on this morning... /I tried to..... /the power went off during a lightning storm..

Specs: please complete these
    System Specs - Fill in at Ten Forums
    (See mine for comparison)

dalchina, Feb 4, 2017
  5. fanob5 Win User
    Hi Dalchina, thanks for the quick reply. I'm kind of a novice, but using a Windows 10 media to reinstall scares the hell out of me. My PC, a Dell XPS is fairly old, and came loaded with Windows 7 Home Premium. I upgraded online over a year ago to Windows 10. By the time I realized how much I hated 10 the rollback period was over.
    Anyway, I came home a couple of weeks ago, and although the system was working fine in the morning, when I turned on the computer it loaded up and started Windows 10, the sign in page came up with the date, clock, and icon resembling a monitor. Normal. Unfortunately when I clicked on the monitor icon (or anywhere for that matter), my personal icon, my name, and the field for the password flashed on and off for a millisecond, the clock and date scrolled up, reappeared in their normal spot, and that's it.*Huh

fanob5, Feb 4, 2017
  6. Saltgrass Win User
    I would probably looking for another keyboard and/or mouse. A Bluetooth version may not work and some wireless mice have been known to cause problems.

Try booting with both disconnected and only plug in if needed.

Saltgrass, Feb 4, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    Ok, I assume from what you're saying your mouse and keyboard do actually function (as you can see the files on your hard disk).

Let's see if you can get into Safe Mode.

For this, you do need a bootable Win 10 DVD or flash drive. (See my first post).
    Note: we are NOT using this to reinstall Windows.

Do you already have a full backup of your data?

As you did with your Win 7 disk, boot from the Win 10 disk, select Repair My PC, and then navigate through the options to one that says Safe Mode.
    Details on how:
    Boot Windows 10 In Safe Mode When PC Is Not Booting

Now this may not work; if it does, that would be easier.

If it does not, try booting from the same disk, but this time try Startup Repair. (You can see where the option is in
    Boot Windows 10 In Safe Mode When PC Is Not Booting
    )

Again, this may not work- it depends what has happened.

Please then get a copy of Kyhi's disk (see my previous post) so we can run a check on your hard disk before trying anything else.

dalchina, Feb 4, 2017
  8. fanob5 Win User

OK, I got a copy of Kyhi's ISO file, burned it to a disc, and booted up my PC. It's an unfamiliar desktop with lots of programs. One is a malwarebytes program which I ran and found some threats, but when I tried booting up w/o the disk the same dead end happens, eternal circling of dots.

fanob5, Feb 4, 2017
  9. Boot back into Kyhi's disc and as Dalchina suggested run chkdsk. Right click on start, click on Command prompt(admin)
    type

chkdsk c: /R

Before doing this Dalchina asked, do you have you data safely backed up?

Caledon Ken, Feb 5, 2017
  10. Steve C Win User
    I once had the OP's problem maybe due to a power glitch. I turned off the PC, unplugged it at the mains and held the power on button 30s to remove any residual charge from the mother board components. I then plugged in the PC, turned it in all has been fine since. See this link in case it helps Automatic Repair Started on Boot?

Steve C, Feb 5, 2017
  11. and I think I would add a complete shutdown should likely include holding down the shift key and powering down to eliminate fast start up.

Caledon Ken, Feb 5, 2017
  12. dalchina New Member
    Certainly worth trying the hard shut down/cold boot having disconnected power... that used to happen to me many many months ago in the early days of Win 10.

Once you've run chkdsk (make sure of the drive letter- it may have changed as viewed from the OS you boot to from Kyhi's disk, if the report is ok, the next thing to try would be to boot from your Win 10 bootable medium, click Repair your computer, and navigate to and try a Startup Repair.

dalchina, Feb 5, 2017
  13. fanob5 Win User

First off, thank you all for your help. I have backed up my disk using the Acronis program on Kyhi's disk. I'm currently running chkdsk, the first three stages went fine, the bad sector check is really slow and In need to leave for work, so I will let you all know what happens tonight. Thanks again'
    Ken Wiggins ()

fanob5, Feb 6, 2017
  14. fanob5 Win User
    Okay, I got home and chkdsk had finished, and Windows found no problems, no further action was necessary. With hope I shut down and rebooted into the original HDD, bypassing Kyhi's boot disk. The windows 10 logo came up, with the message Preparing Automatic Repair, Then Diagnosing Your PC, then the Automatic Repair screen came up, telling me "Your PC did not start correctly" Once again, I am unable to select Restart or Advanced Options as neither my mouse or keyboard work on this page. Aaarrrgh! Oh, and I tried the hard shutdown by removing the plug and holding the start button down for over 30 seconds, to no avail.

fanob5, Feb 7, 2017
  15. NavyLCDR New Member
    Boot back into Kyhi's recovery tools, run Macrium Reflect. Under the restore menu is a utility to fix Windows startup problems. Run that utility.

NavyLCDR, Feb 7, 2017
Thema:

1. Windows 10 won't boot, and automatic repair won't work - Similar Threads - won't boot automatic

2. Automatic repair won't help

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Automatic repair won't help: Yesterday when I turned the computer on I got a blue screen and it went to an "automatic repair" page. I have went through all of the options available shut down, troubleshoot, reset the pc, system restore, system recovery, startup repair, etc and nothing is working. Every...
  3. Automatic repair won't help

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Automatic repair won't help: Yesterday when I turned the computer on I got a blue screen and it went to an "automatic repair" page. I have went through all of the options available shut down, troubleshoot, reset the pc, system restore, system recovery, startup repair, etc and nothing is working. Every...
  4. Windows won't boot/automatic repair loop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows won't boot/automatic repair loop: I haven't used my PC in about a week and I go to boot up as usual today but it goes straight to "Preparing Automatic Repair" and "Diagnosing Your PC" then it cuts to black and shows the blue screen saying that Automatic repair failed and I have the options to "Restart" or...
  5. Windows won't boot/automatic repair loop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows won't boot/automatic repair loop: I haven't used my PC in about a week and I go to boot up as usual today but it goes straight to "Preparing Automatic Repair" and "Diagnosing Your PC" then it cuts to black and shows the blue screen saying that Automatic repair failed and I have the options to "Restart" or...
  6. Windows won't boot/automatic repair loop

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. PC won't boot into automatic repair

PC won't boot into automatic repair: I've been trying to start windows from 0, using the ISO file media creation tool, right after I had my USB drive with the ISO file, I ran to my PC and tried to run it into automatic repair, but no matter how many times I tried, it didn't boot into it.Can someone explain why...
  8. Automatic repair won't repair

Automatic repair won't repair: Hi my laptop keeps going to the automatic repair page. I have tried the bootrec.exe commands on command prompt and the chdsk /r c too. I have tried to restart my laptop and have read all the other solutions from other people who have asked questions about the same thing. When...
  9. Some apps work, automatic repair loop, system won't boot

Some apps work, automatic repair loop, system won't boot: Good day. I'm having a lot of trouble with my PC, and this PC has never developed any fault prior to this. It all started when my Generator suddenly went off while i was updating my windows, and because my battery was already damaged, and I was still hoping to change it...
  10. Windows 10 won't boot past "Preparing Automatic Repair"

Windows 10 won't boot past "Preparing Automatic Repair": So I tried installing a BIOS update on my Lenovo Ideapad 320-15IKB, but when it tried restarting it went right to a bluescreen with the stopcode "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE". After this it tries to boot up automatic repair, but it stops there. The loading wheel doesn't even...