Windows 10: Windows 10 won't boot - fresh install

Discus and support Windows 10 won't boot - fresh install in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, On Sunday, I reinstalled Windows 10 Pro on my Dell Precision T5810 (1Tb SSD main disk and 1Tb HDD secondary disk). I had some problems... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Yossu, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Yossu Win User

Windows 10 won't boot - fresh install

Hello,

On Sunday, I reinstalled Windows 10 Pro on my Dell Precision T5810 (1Tb SSD main disk and 1Tb HDD secondary disk). I had some problems afterwards, as it sometimes said it couldn't find a partition table. After a while, this seemed to settle down, and I was able to boot up and carry on installing my software. Subsequent reboots went OK.

I just started my machine again, and it won't boot. I see the BIOS messages, including the one that shows me the two disks, then I see the blue Windows logo, with the whirling icon telling me it's loading, then I get a blank screen. I can sit and wait, but it never goes any further than that.

If I keep restarting, then every once in a while, it will give me the log-in screen and allow me to log in. However, once I'm into Windows, very little works. The Start button doesn't work, not from the keyboard key and not by clicking the icon with my mouse. If I click in the Cortana text box to type, nothing happens. If I click the clock/calendar at the right end of the task bar, nothing happens. I can click icons on the task bar, and the applications will open. However, the machine is basically crippled.

I managed to boot into safe mode, but had all the same problems. I got the event viewer open, and can see lots of errors, largely related to Cortana. I exported the events during that first boot, which you can see here.

Anyone able to help? I'm unable to do anything at the moment. Thanks in advance

:)

Yossu, Jan 8, 2018
  2. BulldogXX Win User

Installing Windows 10 on new SSD

My apologies. Now I know what you meant by "clean boot."

BulldogXX, Jan 8, 2018
  3. Tm_Carbon Win User
    Windows 10 Installation Media gets stuck downloading at 0%?

So I recently bought a ssd and I want to put a fresh install of windows 10 on it. I went to download the installation media for windows 10 which ran fine. I went to download windows 10 installation media on a flash drive of mine (32GB) so I could later
    boot off the usb and download windows 10 to my ssd. However when trying to download the files it gets stuck at 0% and won't load any further. Any help would be appreciated and why it won't download.

Tm_Carbon, Jan 8, 2018
  4. Tony K Win User

Hi there, Yossu.

Is fast boot and secure boot set to on in the BIOS? If so, try turning those off temporarily to see.

Most likely is, but to be sure > Is this a UEFI BIOS system?

How did you install Windows? e.g. From ISO thumb, DVD, etc.?

Did you clean the disk before installing? On the same drive as before?

Tony K, Jan 8, 2018
  5. Yossu Win User
    Hello Tony, thanks for the reply.

Worth pointing out that I got this machine about 18 months ago, and installed Windows 10 probably 10-12 months ago. It was fine up until a few weeks ago, when I had some problems, and decided that fresh install would be in order. I haven't touched the BIOS settings at all, not ever!
    OK, so I admit to being somewhat green about these things, so please bear with me if I give you the wrong info.

I got into the BIOS, which looks like a Windows app, unlike the BIOS I remember from last time I looked (years ago), which was like a full-screen command line. I'm mentioning this in case I'm in the wrong place here.

Not sure about fast boot, as I can't see anything about that, but I can see under Setting -> Secure Boot -> Secure Boot Enable that it's disabled.
    Under Settings -> General -> Boot Sequence, there is a section titled Boot List Option, which has two radio buttons, Legacy and UEFI. The Legacy one is checked, so I guess it's not in UEFI mode.
    I used the Media Creation Tool to create a bootable USB and booted from that.
    It's the same drive (Samsung SSD), but I plugged it into my lap top and used Computer Management to delete the partitions before plugging it back into my PC and booting from the USB, so I guess it should have been pretty clean!

Thanks again. Does this help?

Yossu, Jan 8, 2018
  6. Tony K Win User
    Yes, it helps tremendously. Thanks. Often we don't know how much people know, so thanks for that as well. *Smile

I assume this machine came with 8 or 8.1?

Is the Samsung SSD a USB exterior drive? The "main disk" is interior?

Tony K, Jan 8, 2018
  7. Yossu Win User
    *Smile
    If I remember correctly, I ordered it with Win7, as I had tried Win8 on my lap top and hated it! Win8 was the default, but you could choose to get Win7.
    Both drives are interior. I have an exterior drive as well, but I unplugged that when I had problems, just to take it out of the equation.

The Samsung SSD is the main (C:\) drive, and the other one (a Western Digital HDD if I remember correctly) is a data drive (D:\).

Thanks again.

Yossu, Jan 8, 2018
  8. Yossu Win User

Just in case it makes any difference, I just checked (nothing better to do as I can't do any work), and I bought the PC in July '16.

Technically, I still have support on it, but as I changed the HDD that came with it for an SSD, and added a second drive myself, upgraded the memory and installed a different OS, I doubt I'll get much support out of them!

Yossu, Jan 8, 2018
  9. Tony K Win User
    I see. The machine is not that old then. You went through a lot of unneeded effort to hook the drive to your laptop. Did you have a USB conversion cable to do that?

We'll get you straightened away, but it looks like you'll have to reinstall. Main thing I think since you said it's in legacy mode is that the drive is formatted in a MBR scheme and not GPT scheme that it takes to run under UEFI. UEFI is a much safer and reliable system.

Are you advanced enough to run a few commands while installing? Familiar with Command Prompt at all?

Tony K, Jan 8, 2018
  10. Yossu Win User
    No, I have a dock, so I just unplugged the drive from the PC and dropped it into the dock. I wanted to clean the disk properly, and knew I couldn't do that via Windows.
    So if I'm going to reinstall (those words make me shudder, I've spent the last two days reinstalling, and don't really want to do it again!), should I enable UEFI before I do?
    Sure. I'm a software developer, so not shy of advanced stuff. I'm just not very familiar with the hardware/BIOS side of things.

Fire away, let's see what you suggest?

Yossu, Jan 8, 2018
  11. Tony K Win User
    Think of UEFI as an advanced BIOS. That's really all it is.

Sorry, but I think this is the best route to go, especially if you use it professionally.

Do you still have your ISO install thumb? Are all your important files backed up?

Tony K, Jan 8, 2018
  12. Yossu Win User
    I have the disk image I took on Sunday before I reinstalled, and I'm just in the process of copying some updated files from the SDD before I wipe it and start all over again *Sad

So to confirm, once I've finished copying the data, I wipe the SSD clean and plug it back into the PC, boot to BIOS and set UEFI enabled, then use my USB image to reinstall Windows?

If so, what guarantee do I have that the install will be successful this time? It seemed to go fine last time.

Thanks again

Yossu, Jan 8, 2018
  13. Tony K Win User

This is tech. I, nor anyone can guarantee 100% outcome, however, I can say this is a proven method taught to me by the best here on the forum.

No need to take the drive out. You'll clean and format it off the install thumb.

Tony K, Jan 8, 2018
  14. Yossu Win User
    *Smile I wasn't expecting a guarantee! I've been in computers long enough to know that it all depends on how many buckets of goat entrails you sacrificed to the Great God Of Computers that morning!
    I had to take it out to back up the data that had changed since Sunday's disk image. Once it was plugged into the lap top, it was as easy to clean it there as to do it when reinstalling.

What about the commands you were going to suggest? Any benefit in any of that?

Thanks again for all the help. Shame there wasn't a better way to do it.

Yossu, Jan 8, 2018
  15. Tony K Win User
    Tony K, Jan 8, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 won't boot - fresh install - Similar Threads - won't boot fresh

2. Windows won't boot after interrupted Windows 10 fresh install from bootable USB

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows won't boot after interrupted Windows 10 fresh install from bootable USB: Context/how one issue led to another: Initial issue: I was experiencing a BootLoop with a Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro laptop. So I took below steps:Followed this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8WkyX0dan0 Then tried Factory reset:...
  3. Laptop won't boot with fresh installation of Windows 10

Laptop won't boot with fresh installation of Windows 10: have an Acer Aspire E5-575-33BM and I can't get it to boot correctly from a new SSD with a fresh installation of Windows 10 for the life of me. The laptop originally came with a 1TB HDD which I still have and still works but naturally, I wanted a more responsive experience...
  4. Fresh install of windows 10 and when restarted, it won't boot into windows.

Fresh install of windows 10 and when restarted, it won't boot into windows.: So when I installed windows through a USB from using the "Windows 10 Installation Media"https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10%20, I used the installer for my new SSD I just got for building my first computer and it worked perfectly-besides the download....
  5. Fresh windows 10 install not booting

Fresh windows 10 install not booting: Hello. I have just recently upgraded the core hardware of my computer. in so doing I prepared to have a fresh install running windows 10 as opposed to windows 7 which I had been using previously. I downloaded the Windows 10 ISO and made a recovery partition on my storage...
  6. Windows 10 booted as if fresh install

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 booted as if fresh install: Hello guys, this is the first time I have encountered something like this. I start my PC this morning and it boots as if it was a fresh install or as if a new user was created default everything settings, wallpaper and etc. I did not perform a fresh install recently except...
  7. Fresh Install of Windows 10 Crashes and Won't Boot if Connected to Internet

Fresh Install of Windows 10 Crashes and Won't Boot if Connected to Internet: My computer has been offline for a while as I was waiting for a new replacement motherboard. If I connect the Ethernet during the windows install, it crashes before it's able to finish up completely. When I install with no internet, it finishes up fine and I am able to use...
  8. Windows 10 booting to BIOS after fresh install?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 booting to BIOS after fresh install?: Just a quick disclaimer: I've used Linux all my life ever since I got my first PC. I've never owned a computer which has had Windows on it for longer than 12 hours. It's very possible that I'm missing something super obvious here and if that's the case I apologise! So...
  9. Fresh windows 10 UEFI install no boot option

Fresh windows 10 UEFI install no boot option: So I have a new ADATA U635 ssd I want to put into my old computer, went through the steps to install Windows 10 from a usb tried using rufus, it is installed on the drive but when I go into bios I can only select the drive if csm is turned on and legacy support is on. It...
  10. Windows 10 won't boot after fresh installation on Asus Vivobook F510UA

Windows 10 won't boot after fresh installation on Asus Vivobook F510UA: I feel like I am running out of options here. I have an Asus Vivobook F510UA-AH51 with a newly installed Crucial M.2 SATA model MX500 (CT250MX500SSD4). I removed the originally installed SATA hard drive and am only running the installation with a single stick of RAM (the...