Windows 10: Windows 10 won't boot system restore or reset?? Help please

Discus and support Windows 10 won't boot system restore or reset?? Help please in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; So windows 10 crashed and now it won't boot. It gets past the manufacturer logo (acer) and then I get a black screen with a blinking curser. I used a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Alanjog, Sep 3, 2015.

1. Alanjog Win User

Windows 10 won't boot system restore or reset?? Help please

So windows 10 crashed and now it won't boot. It gets past the manufacturer logo (acer) and then I get a black screen with a blinking curser. I used a usb with windows to boot it up but have tried to restore it, but it failed. Reset it , keeping my files, and that didn't work either. I need to get into the laptop as it has my every photo of my daughter who is now 18months and all our wedding photos. Please help my wife is not happy!!!!

:)

Alanjog, Sep 3, 2015

2. Windows 10 failed attempts to use "Backup and Restore (Windows 7)" function

Repeated backup failures. Running Windows 10, and when the “Backup and Restore (Windows 7) program is run front the Control Panel, I get the messages:

“Check your backup. The last backup did not complete successfully”.

“Windows Backup failed to get an exclusive lock on the EFI system partition (ESP). This may happen if another application is using files on the ESP.”

“Please retry the operation.”

Each time I retry, I get the same result and messages.

Windows 10 came installed on my Dell Inspiron 15 (500 Series) laptop. I have successfully used the same Backup and Restore (Windows 7) program to “Create a system image”, as well as to “Create a system repair disc”.

Please provide me with some insight and suggested actions.

{Please Help}, Sep 3, 2015
  3. mac1-131 Win User
    please help!

what did you restore it from? an image backup? what version?

you may need to fix the system reserved and boot partitions to make them look they way they were before.

I did an image of windows 10 after the upgrade, then restored it to see if it would work, and got inaccessible boot device also

turns out the imaging software I used was not Windows 10 aware and needed an update.

the way I fixed it was to do a fresh install of windows 10 from install media, just to get the partitions right again

then I restored ONLY the windows volume from my backup and not all the system reserved and recovery partitions. I left them as what the clean install put on.

not sure if this is the same as your situation.

you can also use a partition manager like GPARTED to try to get the partitions marked correctly as to which one is active, which is boot, etc.

if you could say what versions you are talking about it would help. but my guess is that your system partitions (the little 100mb and 450mb ones) are marked as the wrong type.

mac1-131, Sep 3, 2015
  4. WhyMe Win User

Hi Alanjog and welcome to the forum *Smile

Assuming your hard disk has neither irretrievably failed or suffered major data corruption then:

You can retrieve your all those deeply sentimental photos via a Linux Live disk. After that is done you can just do a clean install of Win10.

Hopefully that will keep you off the sofa and out of the dog house!

Edit: For future reference, please take note of the guidance within my signature. Thanks

WhyMe, Sep 4, 2015
  5. Alanjog Win User
    Thanks so much for the reply. I have never heard of Linux Live disk so thats very helpful. I went at it over the weekend and not sure how but it managed to do a system retore on the 5th try!! Wierd, anyway, i got in and now am backing up all my files before i proceed with a complete clean windows 10 install. Thanks again. Much appreciated.

Alanjog, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 won't boot system restore or reset?? Help please - Similar Threads - won't boot system

2. My laptop is not booting after a failed system restore. Please help!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop is not booting after a failed system restore. Please help!: I tried doing a system restore, and it was stuck on finished for about an hour, so I force shut down my laptop. After that, I tried doing another system restore and this time it failed with an error. My laptop then attempted to restart itself but this time it couldn’t even...
  3. My laptop is not booting after a failed system restore. Please help!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My laptop is not booting after a failed system restore. Please help!: I tried doing a system restore, and it was stuck on finished for about an hour, so I force shut down my laptop. After that, I tried doing another system restore and this time it failed with an error. My laptop then attempted to restart itself but this time it couldn’t even...
  4. My laptop is not booting after a failed system restore. Please help!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. PLEASE HELP. System Restore not working Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    PLEASE HELP. System Restore not working Windows 10: Hello, My Rocket League save file was corrupted I pulled the plug duringshutdown while RL was running because I was angry :P and now my playtime isgone. Just my items and level were still there as those are stored on the gamesserver. I realised that I had luckily created a...
  6. Windows 10 Won't Repair, Restore, Reset.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Won't Repair, Restore, Reset.: Hi. I have a Dell Optiplex SSF 790 running Windows 10. It stills runs but it won't launch my Surfshark VPN since I installed the last update. Some other issues post update was the PIN had to be repaired. I tried the routine repairs and various repair utility apps but even my...
  7. Windows 10 system restore HELP

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 system restore HELP: Was updating windows 10, and it froze at the circling dots. Tried everything. Now I'm doing a system restore, and the box showing the Restoring files with the green bar that keeps sliding has shown up. The green slider keeps moving tho, lile it's not frozen or anything. But...
  8. [Need Help] - won't show display on normal boot.. won't repair/restore/reset too

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    [Need Help] - won't show display on normal boot.. won't repair/restore/reset too: submitted by /u/Venting_Machine1 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hgfzod/need_help_wont_show_display_on_normal_boot_wont/
  9. System fail to boot please help

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System fail to boot please help: My system running with window 10 , latest version 1809 properly , but today early morning, system fail to boot, i tried every mathod - restore point , startup option, but nothing happened, in command prompt BOOT / FIXMBR >>>>>>>>>>>> [IMG] FIXBOOT >>>>>Access is denied...
  10. System Restore won't restore

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Restore won't restore: I have a problem that is as insoluble (to me) as it is serious: System Restore seems broken. It exits with this less-than-helpful err msg: An unknown error occurred during system restore. (0x80070091). For completeness I took partial screen shots the whole way during my last...