Windows 10: Windows 10 won't boot unless windows 7 drive is selected to boot first

Discus and support Windows 10 won't boot unless windows 7 drive is selected to boot first in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello I did a clean Windows 10 pro 64bit install with a usb drive and media create tool a few weeks ago on a new SSD just for windows 10. I still... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MUGEN02, Feb 24, 2016.

1. MUGEN02 Win User

Windows 10 won't boot unless windows 7 drive is selected to boot first

Hello

I did a clean Windows 10 pro 64bit install with a usb drive and media create tool a few weeks ago on a new SSD just for windows 10. I still had my windows 7 SSD still hooked up and set as first bootable drive when I installed windows 10 on the new SSD. For some reason now my PC won't load Windows 10 without the windows 7 drive set as the first bootable drive in the bios. I don't want to do a dual boot setup and I will be removing the windows 7 drive the PC and formatting it once I fix this problem.

Things I should note:
    1. I still have the windows 10 mediacreate install USB drive that I used to do the install.
    2. If I set the windows 10 drive to first bootable drive I get the "please insert bootable drive media" bios screen.
    3. I tried to set the windows 10 drive to active in Disk management. When I set the windows 10 drive as first bootable drive, I get the "The Boot Configuration Data file is missing or contains errors" windows error screen when trying to boot the drive.
    4. Windows 10 is set as default OS.

What is the quick and safe way to make the windows 10 drive bootable again? My guess is it involves the windows 10 usb drive and CMD?

Thanks

:)

MUGEN02, Feb 24, 2016
  2. WindowsOS Win User

how do i get rid of windows 10 and go back to windows 7?

If you have a Windows 7 disk with an activation key all you have to do is boot from the Windows 7 disk and Not into Windows 10 first to re-install Windows 7. When the computer boots and Before Windows 10 starts Tap which ever key (Usually one of your function
    keys) to bring up a boot menu and select your CD/DVD drive to boot from But make sure you already have your Windows 7 disk in the drive!

WindowsOS, Feb 24, 2016
  3. After Installing an SSD my computer won't boot unless I disconnect my external drive

After Installing an SSD my computer won't boot unless I disconnect my external drive, I have windows 10 and for some reason don't have the option to adjust my boot sequence

RichardGregory_821, Feb 24, 2016
  4. WHS
    whs Win User

5. MUGEN02 Win User
    I just installed EasyBCD on my windows 10 drive(C:\ drive) and set it as the boot drive and it worked. Can EasyBCD be uninstalled now? Is the drive all set now and I shouldn't have this problem or others in the future?

Thanks

MUGEN02, Feb 24, 2016
  6. WHS
    whs Win User
    You do not need EasyBCD any more - at least not for that operation. But I would keep it. It is a handy program.

7. FYI, I have done this myself several times and unless NeoSmart has recently changed their code, that function does not actually MOVE the boot stuff to the other drive; instead, it COPIES it.

This means that the win7 drive will still be able to boot on its own.

Mark Phelps, Feb 24, 2016
  8. WHS
    whs Win User

Yes it is a copy function. And I always explicitly say 'copy'.

9. MUGEN02 Win User
    I ran into other problems with broken apps. I did a clean install with only the Windows 10 drive installed and everything is back to normal.

MUGEN02, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 won't boot unless windows 7 drive is selected to boot first - Similar Threads - won't boot unless

2. Hard drive won't boot at first startup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hard drive won't boot at first startup: Problem started about two days ago, my laptop has been turned off for four days, I turned it on only to find the internal hard drive disk D: missing, I tried finding it in disk management, device manager, and later even in BIOS and it doesn't show up on all three. I've tried...
  3. Windows 10 Won't Boot on First Try-Boots following reset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Won't Boot on First Try-Boots following reset: When I boot my PC only once in the morning it will not boot on the first attempt. I reset and it boots fine. Below are my stats:Anyone know what else to do? Any suggestions would be appreciated....
  4. Windows 10 Won't Boot on First Try-Boots following reset

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Won't Boot on First Try-Boots following reset: When I boot my PC only once in the morning it will not boot on the first attempt. I reset and it boots fine. Below are my stats:Anyone know what else to do? Any suggestions would be appreciated....
  5. Windows will not boot unless Boot drive is the only drive connected

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows will not boot unless Boot drive is the only drive connected: This is a follow up to problems that i was experienced in this post. https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lmsr44/is_there_any_way_to_fix_this_reboot_and_select/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf I was able to get the problem fixed, but now it is...
  6. Windows 10 Won't Boot on First Try, But will Boot When Restarted

Windows 10 Won't Boot on First Try, But will Boot When Restarted: Every time I try to boot up my Dell LapTop it will not boot on the first attempt. It gets stuck at the windows 10 boot screen with the hard drive light on solid > indefinitely. This started about 4 months ago, after an update . . . If I press and hold the the On/Off...
  7. Windows 10 Pro won't boot unless I enter BIOS first

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 Pro won't boot unless I enter BIOS first: I got a Windows 10 Pro license through Microsoft for our nonprofit. I had a new computer with NO operating system on it. I had issues trying to load Windows 10 Pro onto the new computer via a USB drive. I tried to change something in the BIOS settings to make it work, but it...
  8. Windows won't start unless hard boot

Windows won't start unless hard boot: I recently developed a problem where my system won't start unless I hard boot my laptop. If I shut it down normally and then turn it on, it only displays a black screen with the cursor and freezes. If I hard boot it and then start it up it runs normally. If I restart...
  9. Dual-Boot 10 and 7,... 7 won't boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual-Boot 10 and 7,... 7 won't boot: Below is a listing of my rig's internals. This was my umty-8th build 6years ago, with the Crucial M4 SSD and the Program drive and the Backup drive. The 1TB game drive was added about two years ago. Note: This rig has been nothing but fast and trouble free. Also, I build...
  10. Windows 10 won't boot after first run

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 won't boot after first run: After installing windows 10 x64 (Update and Clean) it runs for the first time. I download and install whatever updates are available, and do a restart, but windows wont boot, i get the windows logo, and the rings spining (Loading) and then black screen. Ive tried startup...