Windows 10: Windows 10 won't eject USB thumb drive

Discus and support Windows 10 won't eject USB thumb drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I'm struggling with a peculiar little problem. My old faithful windows 10 computer will never eject the USB thumb drive. It doesn't ever show any... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by selwynpolit, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Windows 10 won't eject USB thumb drive

I'm struggling with a peculiar little problem. My old faithful windows 10 computer will never eject the USB thumb drive. It doesn't ever show any errors. Its quite puzzling. I have several usb devices currently working including a 4TB usb hard drive, usb keyboard and mouse and a Fujitsu USB scanner. When I plug in the usb thumb drive, Windows makes the familiar boing noise and I can view the contents of the drive, but when I click the bottom right icon to eject, all goes well but explorer still sees the drive. I can manually remove the thumb drive from the usb port and Windows remains silent.
    Looking in explorer, the device still appears and I am able to browse the I: (in this case) as if the thumb drive is still plugged in. I wonder why Windows thinks the drive is still plugged in. No errors appear in the error log. If I look in computer management/Disk Management, that just hangs. It just reports: "Loading disk configuration information."
    Also if I look in Device Manager, under disk drives, there is a device there: OCZ ATV USB Device. (That is the thumb drive in question.)
    When I try to reboot, the system just hangs and requires a hard reset (or pulling out the power cord.)
    Do folks think this is a hardware or software issue?
    I tried uninstalling the device from device manager but it never seems to actually work - just a green progress bar back and forth across the screen forever.
    Hardware:
    MSI 970A-G46 Motherboard (Socket AM3+ with New BIOS (B2 Stepping ready) PCI Express Gen3 OC Genie 2, 2 SATA 3 Cables, AMD970+ SB950
    AMD FX8320 3.5 Ghz 16MB cache 8-core Unlocked Black edition 125W Desktop Processor
    I do notice this in my error log:
    The machine-default permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
    {C2F03A33-21F5-47FA-B4BB-156362A2F239}
    Wondering if it's related.

I'm reluctant to reformat and reinstall windows but I'm getting concerned that will be my only course of action.

Thoughts?
    Selwyn

:)

selwynpolit, Mar 16, 2017
  2. Mert Z Win User

Mouse became inoperable

Updated drivers and getting no error messages. Went thru the whole troubleshooting guide to no avail. I'm using Windows 10 and the issue started when I plugged in a thumb drive. ejecting the thumb drive did nothing to resolve the issue.

Mert Z, Mar 16, 2017
  3. 'Mike P Win User
    Windows 10 cannot "Safe Eject" USB drive

Open task manager performance tab & click on Resource Monitor on the bottom - might find what is using the usb drive.

I had the cant eject usb drive in use, it was a simple stand alone program, core temp, running from the thumb drive.

'Mike P, Mar 16, 2017
  4. Windows 10 won't eject USB thumb drive

Hmm. I guess this didn't inspire any thoughts. I guess Windows just got confused or I have some flakey hardware. Time to reformat and reinstall all my software. yuck!

selwynpolit, Mar 18, 2017
  5. This usually happens because some process still has an open handle on the drive. Look to see if there are still any explorer windows open. Next look to see if there are any other programs open that are using it. Do you have a document open in Word that is located on the drive, for example? Barring that, next step I would take would be to close all programs and apps and restart the computer. Remove the drive as the computer begins to boot back up. This will keep you from losing any data if something was still using the drive. Just simply pulling it can cause data loss.

ArazelEternal, Mar 19, 2017
  6. Ztruker Win User
    If you connect a lot of USB devices to multiple ports then give this a try:
    • Shutdown and unplug all USB devices, except USB mouse or keyboard.
    • Create a new Environment variable called devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices and set it's value to 1 as follows:
      • Right click on This PC and select Properties
      • Click on Advanced System Settings at left
      • Click on the Environmental Variables button
      • Click the New button under the User variables for xxxxx" area.
      • Set the Variable name as: devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices
      • Set the Variable value to: 1
      • Click OK as needed to close all the windows you opened.
    • Open Device Manager (Control Panel, System, Device Manager)
    • Click on View then Show hidden devices.
    • Scroll down to USB and click on the plus to expand it.
    • Uninstall all the entries that are dimmed (greyed out), see below
    • Shutdown and reboot, let Windows rediscover everything and load necessary drivers. This can take a few minutes, be patient.
    • Reconnect your normal USB devices.

Now try the thumb drive, see what happens.

Ztruker, Mar 19, 2017
  7. robgr Win User
    Try right clicking the drive in Explorer and selecting eject or try a utility such as Unlocker

robgr, Mar 19, 2017
  8. Windows 10 won't eject USB thumb drive

i had a simular problem and i used partition wizard 10.1 free version to fix it. now the drive actually disappears from pc when i unplug it and works perfectly when plugged in.

ChaChaLaBoom, Mar 19, 2017
  9. Thanks Ztruker,
    that is a fascinating answer. I'm puzzled what the reason is for creating the environment variable. It doesn't appear to be used once you create it. Is it some sort of easter egg?

thanks
    Selwyn

selwynpolit, Mar 20, 2017
  10. Here is a curious behaviour. I have Kaspersky anti-virus installed on this machine. When I plug in a thumb drive, Kaspersky offers to scan it but then hangs up when I give it the go-ahead. Right clicking on the thumb drive in explorer (is that what they call it these days?) and requesting a Kaspersky virus scan runs fine. This is super suspicious. I did try uninstall the greyed out hidden devices as suggested by Ztrucker but I am still getting the weird "eject" thing happening. Right click context menu, and eject does not eject the drive, it still appears in the "safely remove hardwire" icon on the toolbar...

Reinstall windows or do we think this is fixable?

11. Tried that - no luck. Unlocker says "No locking handles found" Thanks tho!

12. Hows this for weird? Once I try to "eject" a thumb drive, windows explorer has all kinds of trouble making new folders on the main SSD. Like it is spinning in some kind of loop trying to deal with disk storage and not getting any cycles. I'm seriously thinking it's time to blow this drive and reinstall windows/apps/everything. yuck!

13. Ztruker Win User

Windows 10 won't eject USB thumb drive

devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices shows you devices that are not connected when you click on Show hidden devices. They don't show otherwise.

Ztruker, Mar 20, 2017
  14. Ah, that is good to know. I skipped that part and somehow Windows showed me some greyed out devices which I uninstalled. I'll add the environment variable and see what else shows up. Thanks again. I think we are making some progress here. I was able to reboot after removing the thumb drive without pressing the reset button.

Selwyn

15. I'm still not making any progress on this. Thanks for everyone's contributions so far. Any other ideas folks?

selwynpolit, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 won't eject USB thumb drive

1. Windows 10 won't eject USB thumb drive - Similar Threads - won't eject USB

2. eject thumb drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    eject thumb drive: Windows 10A thumb drive is plugged in, Explorer is opened, one file is opened, then closed.Explorer is closed.Go to "Show hidden icons" and select Safely remove hardware and eject media -> Eject USB Flash MemoryThe only device shown is the thumb drive just plugged in. Select...
  3. eject thumb drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    eject thumb drive: Windows 10A thumb drive is plugged in, Explorer is opened, one file is opened, then closed.Explorer is closed.Go to "Show hidden icons" and select Safely remove hardware and eject media -> Eject USB Flash MemoryThe only device shown is the thumb drive just plugged in. Select...
  4. eject thumb drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Usb Thumb Drive

Usb Thumb Drive: Earlier today my thumb drive was working fine but now when I plug it in to view it it only shows up in files for a few seconds then disappears. In devices it says that it is connected but won't let me view files. I also tried it on a chrome book but would not work. Any ways...
  6. Usb Thumb Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Usb Thumb Drive: Earlier today my thumb drive was working fine but now when I plug it in to view it it only shows up in files for a few seconds then disappears. In devices it says that it is connected but won't let me view files. I also tried it on a chrome book but would not work. Any ways...
  7. usb drive won't eject on windows 10

usb drive won't eject on windows 10: usb drive won't eject on windows 10:i found event with ID 225 for MS Windows Defender thank you very much in Event Viewer. Associated file with it is MsMpEng.exe. Neither of them found in Task Manager, so i cant end task. I can see MsMpEng.exe in Process Explorer though. With...
  8. usb thumb drive ejection problem.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    usb thumb drive ejection problem.: Just two or three days ago I started having a problem when I try to eject a Sandisk 32GB usb thumb and get the nasty li'l "device is currently in use" window. I've been using this thumb for over a year now with no problems. I haven't made any changes to the computer or to...
  9. BSOD while trying to Eject a USB Thumb Drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD while trying to Eject a USB Thumb Drive: I was trying to remove a USB Thumb Drive, and that's when it crashed. Also, when it booted back up after the crash, it said there was a problem with my antivirus. My antivirus is working though. If this crash pertains to a driver, please note that I installed the latest...
  10. USB drives that won't eject

USB drives that won't eject: Like, apparently, many people, I frequently find that USB drives won't eject because they are supposedly in use. I have seen this question posted in many places, but I have yet to see a solution that works. There are two solutions which are supposed to work, but don't....