Windows 10: Windows 10 won't let me access anything

Discus and support Windows 10 won't let me access anything in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi everyone, Had to borrow someone's laptop to post here. Yesterday my (brand new) laptop auto-updated, and I'm not sure if it's entirely related or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by charliep2, Dec 17, 2016.

1. charliep2 Win User

Windows 10 won't let me access anything

Hi everyone,

Had to borrow someone's laptop to post here. Yesterday my (brand new) laptop auto-updated, and I'm not sure if it's entirely related or not, but now I can't do anything with it.

I can still move the cursor, see options on right-click, and it does register me clicking on files or program icons - but nothing opens. I can't access files, programs, the task manager (tried all the shortcuts I knew of), or the settings. Specifically, it lets me open the settings window once, but freezes when I click on the "updates" section.

I can't shut it down or restart from the Windows menu, except sometimes if I do a shift + restart but it'll get me stuck on the blue "please wait" screen forever, so I don't have any way to go to safe mode or access troubleshooting options. All I can do is hold the power button to shut it off, but it doesn't come up with the login screen on startup afterwards - just goes straight to desktop.

Is there any way this can be fixed? I use this computer for work and have a deadline mid-week, I really didn't expect a one-month old laptop to become useless this quickly. Please, please help?

:)

charliep2, Dec 17, 2016

2. Windows 10 won't let me access anything on my computer

Hi Danin,

You may access Safe mode in Windows Recovery Environment by making your computer think that the startup is failing.
    Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) is a recovery environment that can repair common causes of unbootable operating systems. To do so, follow the steps below:

• Turn on your computer.
    • When you see the loading dots, immediately turn off your computer.
    • Repeat steps one and two. Three times will be enough for the computer to think that you are having issues with startup.
    • Once the computer boots up for the third time, you will see the loading dots on the screen and the message
      Preparing automatic repair.
    • Afterwards, your PC may turn blank then it will show Diagnosing your PC.
    • It will ask you to restart your device or proceed to the advanced options. Choose
      Advance Options.
    Once you're in the Windows Recovery Environment, you may go to Troubleshoot >
    Advanced Options > Startup Settings to access Safe Mode.

Should you need further assistance, feel free to get back to us.

Monica Cam, Dec 17, 2016
  3. DaninRome Win User
    Windows 10 won't let me access anything on my computer

Hello--I still can't access my computer, the loading dots just keep spinning.

What else can I try?

DaninRome, Dec 17, 2016
  4. Samuria Win User

Welcome to the forum. Do you have restore disk or recovery partition you could reset it with. Being new can't you return it have you tried plugging in another mouse

Samuria, Dec 17, 2016
Thema:

1. Windows 10 won't let me access anything - Similar Threads - won't let access

2. Not letting me download anything!!!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Not letting me download anything!!!: Im just trying to reset my computer and it says i need to clear up space. Anything i try to uninstall or delete says it cannot find the file. It wont let me download ANYTHING or uninstall anything. It tells me to save then as soon as i hit run the error message pops up. Never...
  3. TrustedInstaller Won't let me access anything

in Windows 10 Customization
    TrustedInstaller Won't let me access anything: Okay, I'm more than a little frustrated at the moment. I've been trying to fix this for hours now, but I've had no success. This TrustedInstaller program won't let me access anything at all. I can't troubleshoot anything, I can't change file permissions, I cant view my...
  4. It's not letting me listen to anything

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    It's not letting me listen to anything: When I boot up my computer a bit ago, it had this weird echo, so I went, reinstalled the drivers, echo stayed, I uninstalled realtek, and when I restarted my computer, It was not accepting my headphones, I went and looked, and realtek was gone. I looked around for a new...
  5. The Microsoft store won't let me download anything

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    The Microsoft store won't let me download anything: I've had my computer for a while, its a good computer, it has served me well. One thing, however, that is not serving me well is this: When I try to download things from the Microsoft store, it simply. Just. Won't let me. Instead of downloading whatever it is I try to...
  6. windows won't let me update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows won't let me update: windows won't let me update KB2267602. forum help is for windows 8 from 2014. I need current help. thanks in advance https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/windows-wont-let-me-update/69055692-780b-4979-bc81-40b8f378f95c
  7. Windows 10 won't let me log in

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Windows 10 won't let me log in: Today, I was running a project in visual studio and my laptop crashed. And when I tried to restart it, it won't let me log on. What should I do? 49309
  8. Windows 10 won't let me sign in

Windows 10 won't let me sign in: I updated my PC last night and when it was over, I shut it down. This morning, when I woke up and started it, I tried entering my PIN and it told me that it was incorrect. I tried entering my MS password, which I know it's correct, and it told me the same thing. Now I can't...
  9. w10 won't let me save anything anywhere but the desktop

w10 won't let me save anything anywhere but the desktop: I can't paste into another folder, nothing. It will not let me even though I am an administrator. Every once in a great while it will let me move something but I have to grant myself permission. I have seen other users post this exact same issue and have yet to see it...
  10. Windows 10 won't let me open the start button, or anything else.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 won't let me open the start button, or anything else.: I have limited use of someone else's computer to request this help, because my laptop is completely useless since upgrading to Windows 10. The start button does nothing when I click on it. I can't even shut down! & Chrome takes about 5 minutes to come up, but then, no...