Windows 10: Windows 10 wont let me optimize my drives.

Discus and support Windows 10 wont let me optimize my drives. in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; So when I open defrag/optimize drives. I will click on recovery and \\?\Volume{6117a5} and it will refuse to optimize. The optimization process wont... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Freak456, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Freak456 Win User

Windows 10 wont let me optimize my drives.

So when I open defrag/optimize drives. I will click on recovery and \\?\Volume{6117a5} and it will refuse to optimize. The optimization process wont begin and it will stay highlighted. Especially when I run it in administrator mode

:)

Freak456, Oct 3, 2017
  2. moek3405 Win User

After upgrading from Windows7 to Windows10 my PC’s (HDD) Hard Disk Drive is defined in W-10 as Media Type = Solid State Drive (SSD). W-10 is working OK

Good morning/evening Deepika, Thanks for the prompt reply.

When notified the W-10 Windows upgrade was downloaded and installed.

View Drive Status on the Optimize Drive window.

My Desktop PC was running slower and I tried to run W-10 Defragmentation/Optimization. The “Optimize Drive Status Window” showed 4 Drives [ C: OS, D: RECOVERY, SYSTEM, ? volume] with “Media Type=Solid State Drive” and “Current Status=Optimization not available
    “. These 4 drives are physically on a Seagate Hard Disc Drive

I checked the W-10 “Optimize Drive Status Window” on other PCs with Hard Disk Drives and they show “Media Type = Hard disk drive”.

The resulting problem is W-10 will not let me Defrag the Hard disk drives because they are defined as SSDs.

Thanks for your support.

moek3405, Oct 3, 2017
  3. System reserved Needs to be optimized

When optimized my c drive I noticed that system reserved said, needs to be optimized. It's at 96% but wont defrag. So what can I do.

107a8dec-0064-4289-9018-14ce4632c234, Oct 3, 2017
  4. AddRAM Win User

Why do you want to defrag your recovery partition ?

Post a full snip of Disk Management.

Optimise/ Defrag tomatoe tomato

AddRAM, Oct 3, 2017
  5. Freak456 Win User
    No, I want to optimize it.

Freak456, Oct 3, 2017
  6. Freak456 Win User
    Sorry, i am new to this.

Freak456, Oct 3, 2017
  7. AddRAM Win User
    Why ? Just leave it alone. *Smile

AddRAM, Oct 3, 2017
  8. z3r010 Win User

*Ditto

z3r010, Oct 3, 2017
  9. Tony K Win User
    Hi there, Freak456. Welcome to Windows TenForums.

It simply won't optimize recovery partitions nor disks. MS doesn't want them fooled with for safety reasons.

Tony K, Oct 3, 2017
  10. Freak456 Win User
    Alright, so it wont do anything? Thanks

Freak456, Oct 3, 2017
  11. f14tomcat Win User
    Disk Optimization, along with lots of other NTFS related functions, only operate on drives/partitions with an assigned drive letter. Like C: or E:. Those are protected system partitions and don't have drive letters assigned intentionally. It's normal. Don't mess with it.

f14tomcat, Oct 3, 2017
  12. lx07 Win User
    What optimize does is rearrange things on your disk so blocks of data are set more efficiently. For example you may delete your entire music collection and move it to another drive. In that case it would make sense for the file system to delete the old references and move them elsewhere.

This is irrelevant for a recovery partition. The data stored does not change.

Windows should (IMO) not include recovery partition in the defrag screen.

It does though and, as it doesn't ever change, you can ignore it.

13. Tony K Win User

You're welcome. Think of it this way > They're not used very often, so read/write isn't a big thing with them unlike a C: or a backup drive.

Tony K, Oct 3, 2017
  14. cereberus Win User
    There is absolutely no point in optimising a recovery partition as the contents of a recovery partition is static i.e. it never changes.

It does not matter if such a drive is fragmented as it is rarely used, and you would not be able to detect the impact on speed of recovery as the data on the main partition is orders of magnitude larger.

Optimisation is for drives where data is is continually changing so new data can be read and written efficiently.

edit: LX07 beat me to it.

cereberus, Oct 3, 2017
  15. Freak456 Win User
    Thanks for telling me, feel kind of dumb for posting this xD

Freak456, Oct 3, 2017
Thema:

1. Windows 10 wont let me optimize my drives. - Similar Threads - wont let optimize

2. it wont let me activate windows 10,

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    it wont let me activate windows 10,: says cant connect to your organizations activation server, but i dont have an organization, just installed a fresh copy of windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/it-wont-let-me-activate-windows-10/e4a6ed53-fb60-4e50-be5b-1315124a2ffa
  3. it wont let me activate windows 10,

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    it wont let me activate windows 10,: says cant connect to your organizations activation server, but i dont have an organization, just installed a fresh copy of windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/it-wont-let-me-activate-windows-10/e4a6ed53-fb60-4e50-be5b-1315124a2ffa
  4. it wont let me activate windows 10,

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. It wont let me sign into my windows 10 pc.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    It wont let me sign into my windows 10 pc.: Basically this been going on for a few days now I would open up my laptop and would be on lockscreen. When i try to go login it won’t let me because it says “You’ll need the internet for this” but I cant connect to internet because it doesn’t show me any internet to connect...
  6. It wont let me sign into my windows 10 pc.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    It wont let me sign into my windows 10 pc.: Basically this been going on for a few days now I would open up my laptop and would be on lockscreen. When i try to go login it won’t let me because it says “You’ll need the internet for this” but I cant connect to internet because it doesn’t show me any internet to connect...
  7. It wont let me sign into my windows 10 pc.

8. Windows wont let me delete partitions on my external drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows wont let me delete partitions on my external drive.: So I have a 1TB hard drive that i wanted to put into my laptop for more storage, I cloned all of the data and partitions onto it and put it into the computer. Upon realising that is was exteremely slow, I took it out the laptop and put my old ssd back in. I wanted to delete...
  9. Windows wont let me delete partitions on my external drive.

Windows wont let me delete partitions on my external drive.: So I have a 1TB hard drive that i wanted to put into my laptop for more storage, I cloned all of the data and partitions onto it and put it into the computer. Upon realising that is was exteremely slow, I took it out the laptop and put my old ssd back in. I wanted to delete...
  10. Windows wont let me delete partitions on my external drive.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware