Windows 10: Windows 10 wont load up USB 3 External SSD memory storage disk drives

Discus and support Windows 10 wont load up USB 3 External SSD memory storage disk drives in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; The issue happens on multiple platforms - PC and LapTops running Win10. Issues are with Samsung Portable SSD MU-PS250 (direct USB3 output) - I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by roscodoc, Apr 28, 2016.

1. roscodoc Win User

Windows 10 wont load up USB 3 External SSD memory storage disk drives

The issue happens on multiple platforms - PC and LapTops running Win10. Issues are with Samsung Portable SSD MU-PS250 (direct USB3 output) - I have tried several of these Drives and all wont work! and SanDisk Exterme Pro SATA in a 2.5" SATAIII to USB 3.0 external enclosure (Vantec NexStar 6 G NST-266S3)

An explanation mark comes up beside these drives under Disk Drives in Device Manager. Not seen in Disk Management.

BOTH of these SSD disk drives work well under Win7! - without ANY problem at all.
    These are both new SSD Disk Drives.
    I have even tried formatting them 1st under Win 7 - but Win 10 still won't Mount them despite them working nicely under Win 7. I have tried using the Disk Drives latest drivers to no avail!!

So the issue is not with any particular Win 10 computer (ASUS PC, ASUS ROG & HP laptop) nor with any particular SSD drive. Multiple complaints and unsuccessful "helpful" suggestions are on the various Web Forums about this SAME problem.

This suggests to me that there is a serious problem with Win 10 that Microsoft has not addressed yet.
    As an aside - I am now using a HP PC Z640 and I have gone back to using Win 7 - I won't touch/ install Win 10 / upgrade from Win7 - there is a serious issue with this OS in my opinion. Same conclusion by my IT department at work - they wont touch Win 10 either - 12 months ago they upgraded our large multi- PC systems from XP to Win 7!!

I have have had a look at HP website to what needs to occur to run Win 10 on my HP Z640 - NO way will I attempt this upgrade. Both of my external SSD external drives work nicely under Win7

:)

roscodoc, Apr 28, 2016
  2. JonGrimes Win User

External SATA3 SSD to USB (512GB Crucial MX100 SSD) showing up as a Hard drive in Windows 10 Defragment and optimize drives?

It must be an issue with Windows 10 Control Panels' Defragment and Optimize drives inability to detect any SSD

placed into any external SATA 3 to USB 3.0 Storage device. For now, Windows 10 detection of an SSD seems limited

to internal SSDs' only.

I'm not concerned with lack of trim support since SSD trim is limited to Operating System drives

only & I use this external USB SSD for backups & additional storage. Don't worry about Windows 10 defragmenting & ruining your external USB SSD though because despite it being incorrectly detected as an HDD

the defragment drive feature doesn't seem to work on SSDs' that are designed to use their own internal garbage collection anyhow.

I've tried System Restore several times to correct this issue to no avail. The external USB SSD works and runs perfectly

despite Windows 10 detecting it as an HDD so I'm no longer concerned about this issue. Good luck!

JonGrimes, Apr 28, 2016
  3. JonGrimes Win User
    External SATA3 SSD to USB (512GB Crucial MX100 SSD) showing up as a Hard drive in Windows 10 Defragment and optimize drives?

When checking the Windows 10 Control Panel feature Defragment and Optimize your drives, my 512GB Crucial MX100 SSD installed

in a Nexstar (NST-266S3-SV) 2.5" SATA3 to USB 3.0 external HDD/SSD Enclosure shows up as a Hard disc drive (not as a solid state drive)?

I've tried uninstalling it, restarting Windows 10 with no change to the SSD showing up as a Hard disc drive in the Defragment and Optimize your drives feature. I've unplugged the enclosure and plugged it back in to the same as well as different USB ports
    with no change.

The 512GB Crucial MX100 SSD shows up everywhere it should, is easily accessed, runs at 450MB/s Read, 420MB/s Write as an external USB storage device (using numerous SSD Benchmarks), has the latest Crucial firmware and driver, shows up as healthy in SSD Storage
    Tools, etc.? My ASUS G751JY notebooks two internal drives (512GB OEM Samsung SM951 PCIe M.2 OS SSD & 1TB Samsung 850 Pro Storage

SSD) show up correctly in the Windows 10 Control Panel Defragment and Optimize your drives as Solid State drives. The ASUS G751JY

notebook has the latest ASUS AS211 BIOS and all the latest hardware drivers as well as Windows 10 updates?

Any and all suggestions appreciated, I'm stumped. The only good thing is that despite showing up as a Hard disc drive, everything runs & works perfectly using it as an external 512GB storage SSD.

JonGrimes, Apr 28, 2016
  4. Windows 10 wont load up USB 3 External SSD memory storage disk drives

I have several external USB drive enclosures, USB 2 and USB 3, with spinners and SSD's in them. They all work in Windows 10. The issue must be with that make model of enclosure under Windows 10?

alphanumeric, Apr 28, 2016
  5. roscodoc Win User
    Does not explain every Samsung ssd ext drive that don't use an enclosure. Taken the Samsung drive back to retailer n tested on their various laptops running Win 10 n got same result..no go!
    nor the fact that the Vantec works without problem under Win 7

roscodoc, Apr 28, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Making a particular device work with Windows 10 is not Microsoft's responsibility. Making the device work with Windows 10 is the device manufacturer's responsibility. Your statement that Windows 10 is horribly flawed because a particular piece of hardware won't work on Windows 10 is flawed. It's Samsung's responsibility to make a Samsung drive work with Windows 10, not Microsoft's.

NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 wont load up USB 3 External SSD memory storage disk drives

1. Windows 10 wont load up USB 3 External SSD memory storage disk drives - Similar Threads - wont load USB

2. External USB-SSD drive not accessible

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External USB-SSD drive not accessible: Hi,I have an SSD disk 2.5" size. I have been using it as an external harddrive for a while. There are important data on it.I have not been using it for a while, After latest access to that SSD I have reinstalled my OS to my computer, I am not sure if this is related to my...
  3. External USB-SSD drive not accessible

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External USB-SSD drive not accessible: Hi,I have an SSD disk 2.5" size. I have been using it as an external harddrive for a while. There are important data on it.I have not been using it for a while, After latest access to that SSD I have reinstalled my OS to my computer, I am not sure if this is related to my...
  4. external SSD USB drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    external SSD USB drive: hello community; I have a NEW Dell desktop PC, my OS is windows 10 pro. I have an SSD USB external drive for my backup PC generated important files. Recently when I was about to access the external drive an error box opened in the bottom right corner of my screen which reads...
  5. external SSD USB drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    external SSD USB drive: hello community; I have a NEW Dell desktop PC, my OS is windows 10 pro. I have an SSD USB external drive for my backup PC generated important files. Recently when I was about to access the external drive an error box opened in the bottom right corner of my screen which reads...
  6. external SSD USB drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. External USB drive wont mount

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External USB drive wont mount: Windows 10 Version 1909 OS18363.720 My 16tb glyph drive is formated for Exfat and all partitions mount on Mac laptop BUT on my windows 10 PC I only see 2 partitions of 16 and I am not able to ifx in disk manager or by scanning the disks. I read that this Windows Version...
  8. External USB disk drives

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    External USB disk drives: I currently have 4 USB disk drives. Occasionally I get a notification asking how do I want to configure a couple of these. When I click on the notice nothing happens. One of these, my primary data drive, works but doesn't consistently show up in various configuration...
  9. Disk Management for External SSD drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk Management for External SSD drive: I bought a Samsung 500 GB SSD T5 and I'd like to use it without the Samsung app, just as an external drive. Disk management shows it as a 42 MB partition. I'd like to delete this partition and reclaim the rest of my 500 GBs but nothing I do will allow this. Is this an...
  10. 3 External Drives load Explorer at Startup

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    3 External Drives load Explorer at Startup: A friend has 3 external drives attached to his laptop while a current project is progressing these days. After a restart or a shutdown/start the three drives will have an explorer window open. They will continue to reopen if the X close button is clicked immediately....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. can win 10 be installed to samsung external usb 3 ssd drives