Windows 10: Windows 10 won't read my bitlocker protected thumb drive

Discus and support Windows 10 won't read my bitlocker protected thumb drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I use my USB flash drive at work all the time so I know it works fine. Windows 10 used to read it fine, but stopped about a week or so ago. Now when I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by blahbla, Aug 29, 2015.

1. blahbla Win User

Windows 10 won't read my bitlocker protected thumb drive

I use my USB flash drive at work all the time so I know it works fine. Windows 10 used to read it fine, but stopped about a week or so ago. Now when I select it from the file explorer it either says it is not accessible, access denied, or tries to open Ad-Adware. I can reach the non-protected portion sometimes, but it never prompts me for the password to open the files I need. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Note - I've tried changing the drive letter, but that didn't help. Same things occur. Basically, the unlock message never appears. I also tried it in different USB ports.

:)

blahbla, Aug 29, 2015
  2. Larry_L Win User

Fresh Windows 10 Install, Unable To Access My Files

Thanks Amit:

I'll run the repair tonight.

I'm skeptical. I re-installed today and once again the attempt to read the drives failed. I don't think Windows 10 had time to be damaged in the several minutes after I finished installing it and attempted the read.

Seems odd, my BitLocker protected solid state and rotating drives are inaccessible but my BitLocker protected thumb drive, which contains the most important stuff, is accessible.

I'll let you know what happened.

Larry

Larry_L, Aug 29, 2015
  3. Bitlocker Drive Encryption Option not available

No, Windows Home does not have Bitlocker, except to read bitlocker'd drives. You can't create bitlocker protected drives in Home.

IJustHelping, Aug 29, 2015
Thema:

Windows 10 won't read my bitlocker protected thumb drive

1. Windows 10 won't read my bitlocker protected thumb drive - Similar Threads - won't read bitlocker

2. Bitlock drive protection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlock drive protection: I removed a boot drive to recover my lost emails and was prompted to enter the bitlock key. which I don’t have. I wasn’t aware there was any protection installed. Otherwise I wouldn’t have started. So after reinserting the drive back into the original laptop, the boot...
  3. Bitlock drive protection

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bitlock drive protection: I removed a boot drive to recover my lost emails and was prompted to enter the bitlock key. which I don’t have. I wasn’t aware there was any protection installed. Otherwise I wouldn’t have started. So after reinserting the drive back into the original laptop, the boot...
  4. I could not format my thumb drive, it is write protected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I could not format my thumb drive, it is write protected: Hi,I used every possible way to format my thumb drivemy thumb drive doesn't have protection switch slider:1. format through file explorer:It did not work.2. diskpart:DISKPART> list disk Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt -------- ------------- ------- ------- --- --- Disk 0...
  5. I could not format my thumb drive, it is write protected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I could not format my thumb drive, it is write protected: Hi,I used every possible way to format my thumb drivemy thumb drive doesn't have protection switch slider:1. format through file explorer:It did not work.2. diskpart:DISKPART> list disk Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt -------- ------------- ------- ------- --- --- Disk 0...
  6. Turn on Bitlocker not available on new thumb drive

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Turn on Bitlocker not available on new thumb drive: Got a couple of ADATA UV128 32GB USB 3.2 flash drives, Bitlocker is not an option with these drives and was wondering why. Have 2, both act the same. Lexar drive shown for comparison. Tx 171496
  7. Xbox won't recognize my capture thumb drive properly. [Please Read]

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Xbox won't recognize my capture thumb drive properly. [Please Read]: Apologies, I know this is an Xbox issue but the Xbox community offered zero help. And I am using my windows 10 computer to try and resolve this issue. Plus, there's the Xbox/Win10 overlap, right? RIGHT? So, I have a thumb drive I use to capture all my Xbox clips, and it...
  8. Windows 10 won't eject USB thumb drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 won't eject USB thumb drive: I'm struggling with a peculiar little problem. My old faithful windows 10 computer will never eject the USB thumb drive. It doesn't ever show any errors. Its quite puzzling. I have several usb devices currently working including a 4TB usb hard drive, usb keyboard and mouse...
  9. USB thumb flash drives are "write protected"

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB thumb flash drives are "write protected": Bought 4 PNY 16GB USB thumb drives and every time I try to format them, the computer kicks back that they are write protected. Have tried ALL the solutions listed and explained in the 10 forums here, and nothing works to disable the write protection on my machine. Tried...
  10. Windows 10 bitlocker protected drive is not working.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 bitlocker protected drive is not working.: Hi, Detailed Case Information: I have Windows 10 and BitLocker enabled. HDD, Seagate 3TB, partitioned into 5 drives. I did this mistake, I created a bootable USB by easy bcd and tested on host window during boot. Reached to the point where windows setup asks for...
Tags: