Windows 10: Windows 10 won't recognize flash drive

Discus and support Windows 10 won't recognize flash drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi I formatted my flash drive with HD low level format tool and now Windows can't see it it knows it is there but it doesn't show up I want to format... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by gibbsy09, Oct 14, 2017.

1. gibbsy09 Win User

Windows 10 won't recognize flash drive

Hi I formatted my flash drive with HD low level format tool and now Windows can't see it it knows it is there but it doesn't show up I want to format it again to fat 32 but I can't thanks.

:)

gibbsy09, Oct 14, 2017
  2. slance310 Win User

Windows 10 installation usb not recognized by computer

Hi,

If your M\B is set for "Legacy" the flash drives won't be recognized properly...

The flash drives for UEFI are GPT drives formatted FAT32 and will not be recognized as a boot device by Legacy Bios...

The flash drives for Legacy Bios are MBR or GPT drives, but are formatted NTFS...

The Bios detects this and responds accordingly as to the nature of the flash drive...

At least that is how my machines respond...

slance310, Oct 14, 2017
  3. Trouble with backup

File History won't recognize my flash drive now. It did last Tuesday and backup was successful. Now - nada.

AW

ArnoldEllis, Oct 14, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

This one?
    Download HDD Low Level Format Tool - MajorGeeks

The first question that springs to mind is 'why a low level format?' If you were trying to erase all user data there better tools for the job that won't remove the partition information along with the data, CCleaner is just one example.

Does File Manger say 'Please insert a disk into USB drive...' if you try to access it? That's because there's no partition on it any more.

You should be able to do this using Disk Management (type disk management in the Cortana/Search box to find and run it). You should see it listed there, its space marked as 'Unallocated'. Right-click on its unallocated space, select 'New simple volume' then follow the instructions.

5. gibbsy09 Win User
    Thanks for the reply no it says nothing anywhere I just here the little chime when I put the flash drive in and that's it I uninstalled it and tried putting it in but same again just the chime, also when I put it in it doesn't seem to assign a driver really frustrating.
    BTW the link for the format tool do you want me to download that or have you just put it there as an example the reason I used the low level tool was because that was the advice given on Techkings thanks.

gibbsy09, Oct 14, 2017
  6. gibbsy09 Win User
    Thanks very much bree the disk management done the trick much appreciated.

gibbsy09, Oct 14, 2017
  7. Bree New Member
    *Thumbs
    Great! Don't forget to mark this 'Solved'.

Bree, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 won't recognize flash drive - Similar Threads - won't recognize flash

2. Windows 10 does not recognize external hard drives or flash drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 does not recognize external hard drives or flash drives: When I start up my computer it will recognize an external hard drive if it is already plugged into a usb or is immediately plugged in following login. If I disconnect the external hard drive to switch to a different one then the new hard drive will not be recognized and will...
  3. Windows 10 does not recognize external hard drives or flash drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 does not recognize external hard drives or flash drives: When I start up my computer it will recognize an external hard drive if it is already plugged into a usb or is immediately plugged in following login. If I disconnect the external hard drive to switch to a different one then the new hard drive will not be recognized and will...
  4. Windows 10 does not recognize external hard drives or flash drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. flash drive not recognized

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    flash drive not recognized: Drive less month old...would put movie files on it then plug into my tv to stream...one time was transferring data to the drive got this error message in this picture....and other picture drive F.....
  6. Windows won't recognize Sandisk system folder on a USB flash drive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows won't recognize Sandisk system folder on a USB flash drive?: I just got back from Staples scanning a few documents into my flash drive. It gave me the option of saving to either Sandisk Secure Access, or the system folder. Not wanting to deal with the Secure Access crap, I had it written to the system folder. But for some reason...
  7. Flash Drive Not Recognized

Flash Drive Not Recognized: After using my 128-GB Sandisk flash drive to put files back on my Mac, my Windows computer no longer recognizes it, but the Mac can still recognize it and all the data. Formatting it does not solve the problem. Windows does not recognize the drive at all, and I don't even see...
  8. Flash USB Flash Drive Not Recognized

Flash USB Flash Drive Not Recognized: I have a 16GB USB Flash Drive I was using for saving "File History" documents, favorites, etc.. It appeared to be working, but later I got a message about running out of space on the drive. I formatted the drive and that appeared to be successful, then tried to use it...
  9. External drive or flash driver not recognized

External drive or flash driver not recognized: So I want to reinstall windows due to more problems that I have and now I can't even connect a flash drive to save 30gb of my files safely before erasing everything because I also want to erase all the data on it. So I connect the flash driver to a usb portno whatter which...
  10. Flash drives recognized but external hard drives are not

Flash drives recognized but external hard drives are not: My Windows 10 Home laptop will recognize all of my flash drives but won't recognize any of my external hard drives. They all use to show up but now they aren't. The hard drives show up in disk manager but won't show up in file explorer. I hooked them up to other laptops &...