Windows 10: Windows 10 won't restore

Discus and support Windows 10 won't restore in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I have tried to restore my Laptop to eliminate a problem I have been experiencing with windows 10 - but no matter which restore point I choose to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by pewe, Aug 1, 2016.

1. pewe Win User

Windows 10 won't restore

I have tried to restore my Laptop to eliminate a problem I have been experiencing with windows 10 - but no matter which restore point I choose to restore to, on re-boot a screen appears saying that the system could not be restored as it could not access a file needed and to try with Anti-virus disabled - this happens even if there is no anti-virus running.

Is anyone familiar with this issue and have any clue as to how to get around the problem.

:)

pewe, Aug 1, 2016
  2. P 822 Win User

Delete Windows 10 upgrade

Windows 10 won't let you restore. I tried. This is not honest

P 822, Aug 1, 2016
  3. I am not able to sync settings on Windows 10.

I have the same prob. tried to restore Windows7, won't do it. I now have a PC that

won't send/receive emails. Windows 10 is joke!!

John

johnames34, Aug 1, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Windows 10 won't restore

Hi, you could try from Safe Mode. It's a well-known long-standing issue which you can easily research on the internet.

Note the general recommendation is to use 3rd party disk imaging - system restore has limited scope, and may even become a legacy feature- oddly it is off by default in Win 10- perhaps MS assumes people will use the oddly named Backup and Restore (Windows 7) - which is a limited and sometimes problematic imaging option.

Naturally you can use system restore AND disk imaging if you wish.

dalchina, Aug 1, 2016
  5. pewe Win User
    Thanks.
    Your answer is what I suspected it could be - although I was hoping it would not be.

I do have a backup software but - as is always the case - I haven't run the backup for a while so will have to re-install some software if I go back to the last copy I made.

Thanks for taking the time to reply though.

pewe, Aug 1, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
  7. pewe Win User
    pewe, Aug 1, 2016
  8. Bastet Win User

Windows 10 won't restore

If you have Norton you have to disable the self protection module otherwise system restore fails. If you're not using Norton then your AV software may have something similar.
    As others have suggested safe mode is good.

Bastet, Aug 1, 2016
  9. dalchina New Member
    ..note that in the threads I quoted I commented on my experience that I had to delete all existing restore points, disable system restore, and re-enable it.

Good that you've tried many things, but as we don't know what you've tried, that makes it hard to know what to suggest.

dalchina, Aug 1, 2016
  10. pewe Win User
    I only have 3 restore points to choose from and as I did not manually create them they didn't occur at convenient times - so no great loss that they don't work.

I experimented and successfully managed to create a restore point manually - although I haven't tried to restore from it yet.

For the time being, it seems that of the two problems I had in Win 10, one has seems to rectiiedy itself, and the other apparently is a common problem with the Intel HD Graphics driver.
    The resolution to this, it appears, is an updated driver, but I can't install it on my laptop as I keep getting an install failure referring me to my 'manufacturer' as it is a customised driver - and HP haven't done an update for it.

So I don't think I need system restore now as it wouldn't help resolving the remaining problem.

As for the future, I have had a program called 'Casper' for some time. This runs in Windows and offers incremental 'smart' backups of a complete systems disc. So I think rather than run the risk of System Restore not functioning as it should I will resurrect the discipline I used to have - and just do regular incremental backups (copies) to an external disk using Casper.
    In fact its probably even faster than system restore because I can backup whilst still using the laptop, and simply swap out the systems disc for the external backup copy in about 10 minutes if/when needed.

In the meantime I thank for your input.

11. dalchina New Member
    Whilst you can (and I do) manually schedule system restore point creation (by creating a scheduled task to launch a small program that creates the restore point) I regard that as a bonus, and use disk imaging for not just Windows but all partitions.

So you're heading the right way, I think.

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 won't restore

1. Windows 10 won't restore - Similar Threads - won't restore

2. Google Chrome won't install after system restore .

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Google Chrome won't install after system restore .: Hello. I have Windows 10 and my default browser was Google Chrome. There was some issue with my computer so i did a system restore. After system restore, clicking Google Chrome icon fails to open chrome. Now, i'm trying to re-install Chrome using first Edge and then Firefox...
  3. Google Chrome won't install after system restore .

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Google Chrome won't install after system restore .: Hello. I have Windows 10 and my default browser was Google Chrome. There was some issue with my computer so i did a system restore. After system restore, clicking Google Chrome icon fails to open chrome. Now, i'm trying to re-install Chrome using first Edge and then Firefox...
  4. Google Chrome won't install after system restore .

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. PC frozen on blue restart screen but password won't work so I can't use system restore.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC frozen on blue restart screen but password won't work so I can't use system restore.: I installed Windows 11 but it was very glitchy so I clicked the button to go back to Windows 10. After the reboot, I got the blue screen saying my PC couldn't restart. I tried the Startup option but f4, f5, or any of the other function keys for that matter didn't work. Every...
  6. PC frozen on blue restart screen but password won't work so I can't use system restore.

PC frozen on blue restart screen but password won't work so I can't use system restore.: I installed Windows 11 but it was very glitchy so I clicked the button to go back to Windows 10. After the reboot, I got the blue screen saying my PC couldn't restart. I tried the Startup option but f4, f5, or any of the other function keys for that matter didn't work. Every...
  7. PC frozen on blue restart screen but password won't work so I can't use system restore.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Some Windows apps won't open after a 30 minute long System Restore session on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Some Windows apps won't open after a 30 minute long System Restore session on Windows 11: Last night April 21 2024 at 9:00 PM, I tried System Restore with my 4 month old HP Pavilion 15 laptop because I was dealing with issues on installing a program, and it took me an average of 30 minutes.After I did System Restore on startup, Windows gives me this popup screen...
  9. Some Windows apps won't open after a 30 minute long System Restore session on Windows 11

Some Windows apps won't open after a 30 minute long System Restore session on Windows 11: Last night April 21 2024 at 9:00 PM, I tried System Restore with my 4 month old HP Pavilion 15 laptop because I was dealing with issues on installing a program, and it took me an average of 30 minutes.After I did System Restore on startup, Windows gives me this popup screen...
  10. Power cut during PC update, now won't start up or restore

Power cut during PC update, now won't start up or restore: PC: Asus Zn220-240iC.My PC started an update yesterday after I finished work, then the power cut so it obviously didn't finish.Went to boot up today and it went into Automatic Repair Mode which then said it couldn't do anything and to shut down.Restarted it and tried...