Windows 10: Windows 10 Won’t Run Games Using SafeDisc Or Securom DRM

Discus and support Windows 10 Won’t Run Games Using SafeDisc Or Securom DRM in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Just posting this as apparently it was intentional for security reasons that Windows 10 does not support disc based games that used these old DRM... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by XERXESII, Aug 17, 2015.

1. XERXESII Win User

Windows 10 Won’t Run Games Using SafeDisc Or Securom DRM

XERXESII, Aug 17, 2015

2. Crimson Skies error message oxc0000022

I believe ( I've don't have it myself ) that 'Crimson Skies' is an old game that uses 'SafeDisc' or similar. If so, then it will not run on W10 by default.

See " Windows 10 won’t run games that employ SafeDisc or certain versions of Securom DRM, rendering hundreds of old disc-based games potentially unplayable without complex workarounds. Games which used
    these forms of DRM range from Crimson Skies to ........"
    from Windows 10 Won’t Run Games Using SafeDisc Or Securom DRM
    ( and other places, just search the web for more similar articles ).

I've not got the game to try, only found by a search.

If you look you may find a version that does not use SafeDisc for resale, or you may find a No CD patch. But obviously, only try them from known safe/genuine websites. More info here - https://www.howtogeek.com/230773/ho...-securom-drm-on-windows-10-8.1-8-7-and-vista/

George222(2), Aug 17, 2015
  3. Upgraded to Win10, now weird error with Civilization 4

The game itself is compatible with Windows 10, but only with downloaded copies from such as Steam since Steam uses more modern DRM.

The retail disc version uses safedisc or securom as DRM method. And Microsoft told that safedisc and securom would not be working in Windows 10.

Source: Windows 10 Won’t Run Games Using SafeDisc Or Securom DRM

Also, take a look here: SECDRV.SYS Not Loading in Windows 10; this will break thousands of older games.

Edit:

Regarding the game not working on Win 8.1

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/3086255

Kaveh Dashti, Aug 17, 2015
  4. Windows 10 Won’t Run Games Using SafeDisc Or Securom DRM

People are going to complain about it, but it's actually a good thing. Both of those DRM schemes opened up security holes.

The good news is that most games that used to use them have either had them patched out or are available in alternate versions (Steam/GOG etc) that don't use those DRM schemes.

blackroseMD1, Aug 17, 2015
Thema:

Windows 10 Won’t Run Games Using SafeDisc Or Securom DRM

1. Windows 10 Won’t Run Games Using SafeDisc Or Securom DRM - Similar Threads - Won’t Run Games

2. Annihilate Games for Windows Live like what was done with SecuRom and other drm?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Annihilate Games for Windows Live like what was done with SecuRom and other drm?: Can you please remove Games for Windows Live from windows like what was done with SecuRom, and others? Windows no longer supports DRM like this, and Games for Windows Live is the worst of them all. I’m not asking to just give it the SecuRom treatment to where workarounds can...
  3. Annihilate Games for Windows Live like what was done with SecuRom and other drm?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Annihilate Games for Windows Live like what was done with SecuRom and other drm?: Can you please remove Games for Windows Live from windows like what was done with SecuRom, and others? Windows no longer supports DRM like this, and Games for Windows Live is the worst of them all. I’m not asking to just give it the SecuRom treatment to where workarounds can...
  4. How do I play SecuROM games on windows 10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I play SecuROM games on windows 10?: I have a few games on CD that use either safedisc, or securom DRM. I'm well aware that Microsoft has made this feature completely unavailable in modern operating systems, but that doesn't stop me from wanting to play the games I paid for.Some of them are available in places...
  5. How do I play SecuROM games on windows 10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I play SecuROM games on windows 10?: I have a few games on CD that use either safedisc, or securom DRM. I'm well aware that Microsoft has made this feature completely unavailable in modern operating systems, but that doesn't stop me from wanting to play the games I paid for.Some of them are available in places...
  6. Microsoft Safedisc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Safedisc: Hi,I've recently chosen to reinstall some software I purchased a while ago. It uses "safedisc" to verify the DVD is genuine there are 8 DVDs.Apparently Microsoft have not built this into Windows 10 and I have hundreds of pounds worth of original software, which would...
  7. DRM

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    DRM: Good day all, I trust that everyone is doing well and rising above the circumstances COVID-19 i do hope and trust that this mail find the team and family in good health......my purpose for writing today is that whenever I want to watch certain news feeds or stations they are...
  8. SafeDisc retail DRM does not work on Windows 10 and is disabled by default when the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SafeDisc retail DRM does not work on Windows 10 and is disabled by default when the...: Making me have problems with the game "Battlefield Vietnam" to be precise. Quoted from the pc gaming wiki on BF:Vietnam: "SafeDisc retail DRM does not work on Windows 10 and is disabled by default on Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1 when the KB3086255...
  9. Securom / safe disc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Securom / safe disc: Is there anyway to enable the driver in Windows 10? Half my games collection does not run due to securom/safe disc. Unfortunately lots of ea stuff. I know upgraded versions of Windows can re enable the driver but I am thinking I'm bang out of luck as mine is a clean install....
  10. Question about Securom

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Question about Securom: So I've upgraded to Windows 10 awhile ago now and I've really been enjoying the new OS. However I have an older game that is having some problems running. I would roll back to Windows 8.1 but that option is no longer available to me in the settings under update and recovery...