Windows 10: Windows 10 won't save settings - preparing Windows at every startup

Discus and support Windows 10 won't save settings - preparing Windows at every startup in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have only one account with administrative privileges. However, at reboot, Windows 10 starts fresh. It says preparing system. There are some... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by g1o2r3a4z5d6, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Windows 10 won't save settings - preparing Windows at every startup

I have only one account with administrative privileges. However, at reboot, Windows 10 starts fresh. It says preparing system.

There are some programs I installed which remain, however, don't save settings. For instance, Mozilla Firefox won't stay default browser, it won't save my homepage, addons won't save. It's similar with other programs.

It seems like Windows just doesn't save settings but loads fresh at ever startup.

It's so frustrating. Can someone help please?

Thanks in advance.

:)

g1o2r3a4z5d6, Oct 1, 2015

2. "Preparing Windows" on every startup

I just reset my pc, removed everything so i could have a completely clean "canvas".

But everytime i start my pc it says "Preparing Windows", and it stays there for between 1 and 2 hours which is obviusly very annoying.

I have tried to find a solution, but without success...

I am using Windows 10

**Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows Hello, lock screen & sign-in**

VictorWasa, Oct 1, 2015
  3. Julie Ram Win User
    "Preparing Windows" on every startup

Hi Victor,

Corrupted boot system files is one of the possible reasons why you're having issues with booting your computer. We suggest that you try to boot your computer from the Windows 10 installation media and perform an Automatic repair from the Windows Recovery
    Environment (WinRE). The Automatic repair can detect and resolve issues that prevent the computer from starting normally. You may refer to this
    link to download the Windows 10 ISO file and create the installation media on another computer.

To perform an Automatic repair on your Windows 10 computer, follow the steps below:

• Insert the media such as (USB or DVD) and restart your computer.
    • If you see a message asking you to "Press any key to boot from DVD," do so.
    • When you see the Install Windows page, tap or click on Repair your computer to start the Windows Recovery Mode.
    • In the Windows Recovery Environment, on the Choose an option screen, tap or click on Troubleshoot.
    • Click on Advanced Options.
    • Click on Startup Repair.

Should you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to post back.

Julie Ram, Oct 1, 2015
  4. Windows 10 won't save settings - preparing Windows at every startup

It says I've been signed in with a temporary profile and in msconfig it won't go to normal startup.

5. Snakeyes Win User
    Snakeyes, Oct 1, 2015
  6. Thanks for the reply. Will do.

In the meantime, I took sfc /scannow and it found some errors and fixed them. I guess it's good to go.

Still not resolved, however.

Come back with the results.

7. Thank you Snakeyes, it worked.

g1o2r3a4z5d6, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 won't save settings - preparing Windows at every startup

1. Windows 10 won't save settings - preparing Windows at every startup - Similar Threads - won't save settings

2. Windows 10 won't startup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 won't startup: Hi,I have a W10 PC which seems to have recently done an update and won't boot, it keeps failing and BSOD with varying different stop errors, seems different error every time it crashes.Occasionally I see 'preparing to configure your computer' or 'configuring updates 35%...
  3. Windows 10 won't startup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 won't startup: Hi,I have a W10 PC which seems to have recently done an update and won't boot, it keeps failing and BSOD with varying different stop errors, seems different error every time it crashes.Occasionally I see 'preparing to configure your computer' or 'configuring updates 35%...
  4. Windows 10 won't startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Windows Spotlight setting won't save

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Spotlight setting won't save: I've just updated to Windows 11 and now Windows Spotlight doesn't work. In Settings > Personalisation > Lock screen > Personalise your lock screen, I select Windows Spotlight, but the minute I leave the page it resets to 'Picture'. If I choose a different picture, that will...
  6. Windows Spotlight setting won't save

Windows Spotlight setting won't save: I've just updated to Windows 11 and now Windows Spotlight doesn't work. In Settings > Personalisation > Lock screen > Personalise your lock screen, I select Windows Spotlight, but the minute I leave the page it resets to 'Picture'. If I choose a different picture, that will...
  7. Windows won't save diagnostic&feedback settings

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows won't save diagnostic&feedback settings: I just fixed the diagnostic full option being hidden via the group editor, now I can switch from basic to full but it won't save the setting and as soon as I leave the panel it will reset to basic. If anyone could help me, I really would like to change that settings so I can...
  8. windows update won't save personal settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    windows update won't save personal settings: I was asked to install a windows update. Now windows will not remember any of my personal settings. Every time I start up the computer, the settings go back to default. The back ground goes back to the windows graphic. The taskbar does not retain the icons I pinned to it...
  9. Settings won't save

Settings won't save: My pc settings won't save for example it ask me everytime i open opera whether i want to make it my default browser, I tick off option to connect to one of my wi-fis but it won't go through i have to tick it off every time i check wi-fis list, I even deleted it from my...
  10. Windows 10 won't Startup

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 won't Startup: When I start up my computer it gets passed the windows sign with white dots spinning below it but then when it goes to the next screen with a blue background and white dots spinning in the middle it does that continuously even by leaving it there for 4 hours. I've booted into...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 wont save settings - preparing windows at every startup