Windows 10: Windows 10 won't update

Discus and support Windows 10 won't update in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I'm posting here to comply with instructions from zbook on this thread. Details of my dilemma are posted there. Let me know if you want them... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by lbeck, Oct 27, 2017.

1. lbeck Win User

Windows 10 won't update

I'm posting here to comply with instructions from zbook on this thread. Details of my dilemma are posted there. Let me know if you want them cut/pasted/posted here. My system information zip file is attached.

:)

lbeck, Oct 27, 2017

2. Windows 10 haven't updated to version 1511 --- How to find product key

I haven't run the ISO disk as of yet, I want the current product key in hand, on a post it note, prior to doing that, not interested in MS bullS**T about it not being needed. 2 hours online with tech support and they can't cope with the question of how
    can the current product key be accessed in windows 10.

I've never owned a Apple product, but I can never see buying or having another MS product in my household after this.

NOT THE ONLY ONE

Windows 10 update fail, Oct 27, 2017
  3. How to Install Windows 10 on Devices with Limited Space

Even though I have an external device with more than 40 Gb capacity and the assistant recognizes it, it still keeps asking me to free 5 more Gb from the (unit CWindows 10 won't update :).

I have 3'62 Gb free memory in (Unit CWindows 10 won't update :). It asks me to free 5'63 Gb more. That'll make a total of 9'25 GB. The assistant needs 9'80 GB free memory to update windows 10 without any external device. Does this mean that my external device will only be used
    for 0'55 GB? Please I don't understant anything. I just want my laptop to work. I'd stay with my actual version but it keeps showing me ads, interrupting my work and deleting random stuff because of uninterruptible random updates. It has already freed 3 GB
    and I dont even know where from.

Thank you.

Update windows 10 error, Oct 27, 2017
  4. zbook New Member

Windows 10 won't update

The thread in installation and upgrade is fine.
    Please post the DM log collector results in the installation and upgrade thread.

zbook, Oct 27, 2017
  5. lbeck Win User
    Here is the most recent DM Log collector.

lbeck, Oct 30, 2017
  6. zbook New Member
    In the log there are more than 30 startup items.
    With the drive being a HD instead of a SSD the boot times must be long.
    To compare a boot with no start up items please place the computer in clean boot.
    Clean boot has all non-Microsoft off on boot and all startup items off on boot.
    It has the fastest boot times.
    When you want to use an application you then have a small wait to have it load.
    It keeps CPU, disk and memory all at their lowest levels with the optimal performance.
    Between clean boot and normal boot is selective boot.
    In selective boot you choose the top 5 applications that you always use and these are set for boot.
    This makes a happy compromise as you will always boot the computer and seldom need every software application on boot.

These are the steps for clean boot using administrative command prompt:

4) msconfig (in the pop up system configuration > move the dot from normal startup to selective startup > uncheck load startup items > click service tab > in left lower corner check hide all Microsoft services > in the lower right side click disable all > click apply or ok > do not reboot)

5) taskmgr (in the pop up task manager > click on the start up tab > click on status so that the column sorts with enable rising to the top > right click on each row with enable and change to disable)

6) shutdown /r (you will reboot the computer so that it is in clean boot)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...oot-in-windows
    How to perform a Clean Boot in Windows 10 - TechNet Articles - United States (English) - TechNet Wiki

Evaluate the performance on your computer in clean boot during typical use.
    Are the boots faster or slower?
    Are the shutdowns faster or slower?
    How has the video performance changed? Is it better, worse, or the same?
    Continue using clean boot indefinitely to monitor performance.

After several days of clean boot switch to selective boot and compare performance.
    This way you will have compared a normal boot with > 30 boot items to clean boot and selective boot.

Open Ccleaner > windows tab > scroll down to system and advanced and post an image into the thread.

In the left lower corner search type: system > open system control panel > on the left pane click advanced system settings > on the advanced tab under startup and recovery click settings > post an image into the thread.

Code: Event[55219]: Log Name: System Source: Microsoft-Windows-WindowsUpdateClient Date: 2017-10-30T23:31:31.544 Event ID: 20 Task: Windows Update Agent Level: Error Opcode: Installation Keyword: Installation,Failure User: S-1-5-18 User Name: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Computer: Acer_Desktop Description: Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0xC1900201: Feature update to Windows 10, version 1703.[/quote] Code: Event[51474]: Log Name: System Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power Date: 2017-10-30T16:35:42.194 Event ID: 41 Task: N/A Level: Critical Opcode: Info Keyword: N/A User: S-1-5-18 User Name: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Computer: Acer_Desktop Description: The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.[/quote]

zbook, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 won't update

1. Windows 10 won't update - Similar Threads - won't update

2. Windows update on 4/10/2024 has changed something that won't let me get into my Quickbooks...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows update on 4/10/2024 has changed something that won't let me get into my Quickbooks...: Windows update on 4/10/2024 has changed something that won't let me get into my Quickbooks program. There was a Quickbooks update also and it can't find the file since the Windows update....
  3. Windows update on 4/10/2024 has changed something that won't let me get into my Quickbooks...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows update on 4/10/2024 has changed something that won't let me get into my Quickbooks...: Windows update on 4/10/2024 has changed something that won't let me get into my Quickbooks program. There was a Quickbooks update also and it can't find the file since the Windows update....
  4. it won't let me update my windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    it won't let me update my windows: it won't let me update windows https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/it-wont-let-me-update-my-windows/33d0e54a-aba8-4b89-9cf1-184e5ecc6dba
  5. it won't let me update my windows

it won't let me update my windows: it won't let me update windows https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/it-wont-let-me-update-my-windows/33d0e54a-aba8-4b89-9cf1-184e5ecc6dba
  6. Windows Update won't or can't install KB5036893?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Update won't or can't install KB5036893?: Windows Update won't or can't update KB5036893And got installation Error 0x800f081fCan you help me hereMy Windows is Version 22H2 OS Build 22621.2792...
  7. Windows Update won't or can't install KB5036893?

Windows Update won't or can't install KB5036893?: Windows Update won't or can't update KB5036893And got installation Error 0x800f081fCan you help me hereMy Windows is Version 22H2 OS Build 22621.2792...
  8. Windows Update won't or can't install KB5035942?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Update won't or can't install KB5035942?: Hey thereWindows Update won't or can't update KB5035942And got installation Error 0x800f081fCan you help me here https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-update-wont-or-cant-install-kb5035942/0ce728d2-707d-4e51-b2e8-4f7586c97624
  9. Windows Update won't or can't install KB5035942?

Windows Update won't or can't install KB5035942?: Hey thereWindows Update won't or can't update KB5035942And got installation Error 0x800f081fCan you help me here https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-update-wont-or-cant-install-kb5035942/0ce728d2-707d-4e51-b2e8-4f7586c97624
  10. I updated the realtek drivers on my laptop running windows 11. Now it won't boot up.

I updated the realtek drivers on my laptop running windows 11. Now it won't boot up.: I updated the realtek drivers on my laptop running Windows 11. When i restarted the computer it wouldn't boot up. I tried to reboot using a backup on a usb drive, but it gives me an error message after a while....