Windows 10: Windows 10 wrongly labels my secondary HDD as "System" in backup

Discus and support Windows 10 wrongly labels my secondary HDD as "System" in backup in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi, Assuming nothing important is in the Recycle Bin, you could empty that. But what are alle these $$Pending files about that are there for over... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Ocman76, Oct 17, 2015.

1. fdegrove Win User

Windows 10 wrongly labels my secondary HDD as "System" in backup

Hi,

Assuming nothing important is in the Recycle Bin, you could empty that.

But what are alle these $$Pending files about that are there for over more than a year if I may ask ?

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Oct 18, 2015
  2. topgundcp Win User

Did you by any chance move ProgramData/Programs Files folders from your Windows OS to this drive ?. What I saw there is you have 2 folder called: Program Data + Files and Other Programs. According to this link:
    http://earthwithsun.com/questions/52...f-pendingfiles
    You have a folder $$pendingfiles. This might be the cause.

topgundcp, Oct 18, 2015
  3. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Looks as if Link Shell Extension was used (or similar tool). Probably under Win 7.

That explains why Windows Backup wants to include it into the backup job if this WIN10 install is an upgrade install.

Excellent find BTW, topgundcp. *Cool

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Oct 18, 2015
  4. Ocman76 Win User

I am now quite confused. I did have windows 7 previously and did an upgrade install to window 10. However I have no idea what "Link Shell Extension" is and as far as I know I have never moved any programs from my main OS drive to my secondary HDD. When I had windows 7 I installed a lot of programs on my secondary HDD but have never moved anything there from another drive with the exception of the storage of windows live mail emails.

What does this all mean? How do I get windows to unrecognize my drive as "System"? I just tried removing the $$pendingfiles and rebooting but it didn't change anything.

Ocman76, Oct 18, 2015
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    Ummm.... if the first step is going to be to use Macrium Reflect - why not just use Macrium Reflect to make the system image with and save all those subsequent steps?

NavyLCDR, Oct 18, 2015
  6. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Because, as I understand it, TS wants to use Windows Backup as his primary backup tool.

Not saying that's what it is but it sure looks like it and explains your problem too.

Here's an explanation of what hardlinking is:

http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinks...l#introduction

The shell extension is just something to ease the entire process.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Oct 18, 2015
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Hmmm....well if you have to use a second backup tool to make the first backup tool work.....seems kind of pointless to me....but I'm a KISS type of guy myself, Keep It Simple...

NavyLCDR, Oct 18, 2015
  8. fdegrove Win User

Hi,

It's just to sidestep a problem TS is having with Windows Backup insisting on including his secondary drive in the system backup, something he does not want and is trying to figure out why Windows Backup insists on doing so.
    As are we for that matter.
    Hence Macrium to backup and then clean that disk so it will no longer be included in the system backup set.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Oct 18, 2015
  9. topgundcp Win User
    May I suggest to open the case and swap the sata cables between G: & C: drives so that Windows OS will be on disk 0. Also make sure that you set the Windows OS drive to be first boot priority in BIOS.

topgundcp, Oct 18, 2015
  10. Ocman76 Win User
    If I were to do this, wouldn't I have the same problem after restoring my secondary HDD back to its original state? If I wanted to make another newer backup at a later time, windows would still recognize my secondary HDD as system wouldn't it?

And to address another matter, yes I would prefer to use the built in windows backup rather than a third party software. Sorry if that seems like the wrong choice. If I have to keep troubleshooting windows backup for a couple more days I will probably give up and switch to a third party software.

Ocman76, Oct 18, 2015
  11. Ocman76 Win User
    Done and done. No change... *Sad

Ocman76, Oct 18, 2015
  12. topgundcp Win User
    Thanks. At least we try for a possible cause. From Admin Command Prompt:
    • diskpart
    • select disk 1 ===> should be G: drive now.
    • list partition
    • exit

What Type does it show for the partitions ?

topgundcp, Oct 18, 2015
  13. fdegrove Win User

Hi,

Not necessarily, you cleared the disk using diskpart, remember ? If some of the files you have on there are actually part of the OS and go missing because the disk was wiped clean then Windows will start complaining, that's for sure.
    But at least then we know what to do to fix it and from what I've seen on that D: drive these ar not essential files as far as Windows is concerned.
    When the hardlink to the second drive is broken Windows will try to recreate the folder(s) locally.
    Not that I'd bank on it but I know it is capable of doing so.

All this and what topgundcp is asking you to check serves the same goal really. We need to find out which is which before advising any further.

You do not want the OS spread across several disks I presume, right ? *Wink *sarc

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Oct 18, 2015
  14. Ocman76 Win User
    Windows 10 wrongly labels my secondary HDD as "System" in backup [​IMG]

Ocman76, Oct 18, 2015
  15. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

So it's not the disk itself it's what's stored on it that Win Backup sees as part of the system.

On your d: drive there's a folder called "Program Data + Files". Do you mind taking another screenshot with that folder expanded and "other programs" as well while you're at it ?

Thanks.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Oct 18, 2015
Thema:

1. Windows 10 wrongly labels my secondary HDD as "System" in backup - Similar Threads - wrongly labels secondary

2. Add a secondary HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Add a secondary HDD: This weekend I plan on getting a new computer that has a 1TB SSD only. I plan on taking the 4TB HDD out of this 12-year-old computer and using it as a secondary drive “D” drive. My 4TB HDD is about 2.5 years old and is a western digital that has 2 partitions on it. My current...
  3. Add a secondary HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Add a secondary HDD: This weekend I plan on getting a new computer that has a 1TB SSD only. I plan on taking the 4TB HDD out of this 12-year-old computer and using it as a secondary drive “D” drive. My 4TB HDD is about 2.5 years old and is a western digital that has 2 partitions on it. My current...
  4. HDD label problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    HDD label problem: Hello, [ATTACH] Nem vagyok biztos benne, hogy jó topic-ot választottam detalán tudja valaki a megoldást. A képen látható, hogy a D meghajtó előtt nem a Helyi lemez, hanem a Hiren's Boot CD lemez neve van és ehez egy másik ikon van társítva. A windovz telepítője nem indult...
  5. Secondary HDD not showing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Secondary HDD not showing: I got HP 15ay-543tu with windows 10 ver.1909 installed in it I istalled a new ssd with os in it to the main os boot space. And my older HDD as in DVD reader with caddy First few days it works fine, but suddenly it stopped showing in windows explorer, disk managment, device...
  6. Clean Win10 Installation, Question: Auto Backup & Secondary HDD

Clean Win10 Installation, Question: Auto Backup & Secondary HDD: Hi Guys, a few questions which should be easy enough for you to awnser I hope! First of all I'm an everyday Linux user, I haven't used Windows much since Windows 7 was out! so I am a bit rusty with Windows 10 as such. I'm building a new PC for my Dad as he is still...
  7. My secondary HDD causes a bsod

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My secondary HDD causes a bsod: Hi, so today when i turned on my pc it gave me the bsod CACHE_MANAGER and i looked it up and it said to unplug any secondary drives so i did and it booted. is there a way i can fix it so i can use my secondary drive? submitted by /u/SympleBoi [link] [comments]...
  8. Files from secondary HDD not backed up with Windows 10 file history backup

Files from secondary HDD not backed up with Windows 10 file history backup: hello community, ive been trying to resolve this issue for days now, without any luck. I am setting up a new external HDD for file history backup on windows 10. Everything seemed to work fine at the beginning. The backup started and ran over night. The next day i...
  9. how to label hdd in windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    how to label hdd in windows 10: Hello, installed windows 10 on 2 machines, but when I look under networking they have stupid names, I want them to be called what I want, how do I change them, in old windows you named the drive while windows was loading, and you named your user, 24174
  10. How do I enable system protection on my secondary HDD?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I enable system protection on my secondary HDD?: I have disable system protection on my primary (C:\) which is an SSD. When trying to enable system protection on my 1TB HDD (E:\), the option is simply greyed out. I had hoped to save writes on my SSD to increase it's lifespan, and it appears to be recommended in...