Windows 10: Turn On or Off Narrator Announce Characters as Typed in Windows 10

Discus and support Turn On or Off Narrator Announce Characters as Typed in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Turn On or Off Narrator Announce Characters as Typed in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Hear Narrator Announce Characters as Typed in Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Crismarmatute, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Turn On or Off Narrator Announce Characters as Typed in Windows 10

How to: Turn On or Off Narrator Announce Characters as Typed in Windows 10

How to Turn On or Off Hear Narrator Announce Characters as Typed in Windows 10

Narrator is a screen-reading app built into Windows 10.

Narrator lets you use your PC without a display or mouse to complete common tasks if youre blind or have low vision. It reads and interacts with things on the screen, like text and buttons. Use Narrator to read and write email, browse the internet, and work with documents.

Specific commands let you navigate Windows, the web, and apps, as well as get info about the area of the PC you're in. Navigation is available using headings, links, landmarks, and more. You can read text (including punctuation) by page, paragraph, line, word, and character as well as determine characteristics like font and text color. Efficiently review tables with row and column navigation.

Narrator also has a navigation and reading mode called Scan Mode. Use it to get around Windows 10 using just the up and down arrows on your keyboard. You can also use a braille display to navigate your PC and read text.

When Narrator is turned on, typed letters, numbers, and punctuation characters are announced (echoed) immediately after you type them by default.

This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off hearing Narrator announce letters, numbers, and punctuation characters as you type them in Windows 10 for your account.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Turn On or Off Hear Narrator Announce Characters as Typed using Keyboard Shortcut
    • Option Two: Turn On or Off Hear Narrator Announce Characters as Typed in Settings
    • Option Three: Turn On or Off Hear Narrator Announce Characters as Typed using a REG file

OPTION ONE [/i] Turn On or Off Hear Narrator Announce Characters as Typed using Keyboard Shortcut
    1. While Narrator + 2[/b] keys to toggle on and off hearing Narrator announce characters as you type them.

OPTION TWO [/i] Turn On or Off Hear Narrator Announce Characters as Typed in Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Ease of Access icon.

*note You can also press the Win+Ctrl+N keys to directly open Narrator settings.

2. Click/tap on Narrator on the left side, and turn on (default) or off Hear letters, numbers, and punctuation as you type for what you want on the right side under Change what you hear when typing. (see screenshot below)

3. You can now close Settings if you like.

Turn On or Off Narrator Announce Characters as Typed in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION THREE [/i] Turn On or Off Hear Narrator Announce Characters as Typed using a REG file
    *note The downloadable .reg files below will modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Narrator

EchoChars DWORD

0 = Off
    1 = On

1. Do step 2 (on) or step 3 (off) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Turn On Hear Narrator Announce Characters as Typed
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_ON_hear_Narrator_announce_characters_as_typed.reg

Download

3. To Turn Off Hear Narrator Announce Characters as Typed
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_OFF_hear_Narrator_announce_characters_as_typed.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Crismarmatute, Jul 5, 2018

2. How to turn off the narrator on Windows 10?

Hello Lee,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We will assist you in resolving the issue.

Before assisting further, I would like to ask you few questions:

• When you say “Navigater”, are you referring to narrator?
    • Did you try to turn the “Navigater” off from the settings page?

If you are referring to the narrator settings, I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if the issue is resolved.

• Press Windows logo key on the keyboard, type Narrator settings and select the top most search result.
    • Slide the Narrator option bar to Off status under
      Hear text and controls on the screen.
    • Close the window and check if the changes are effective.

Write to us with the status of the issue on the same post for further assistance on the query. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Arul_D Win User
    Are there any other voices for Narrator in the Ease of Access in Windows 10?

Hello Brenda,

I would suggest you to refer to the below steps to turn off narrator.

• Type ease of access in the search bar and press enter

• Click on Narrator and turn off
    Reference:

Hear text read aloud with Narrator

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/getstarted-hear-text-read-aloud

Hope this information is helpful. Please write back to us if you need any further assistance, we'll be glad to assist you.

Arul_D, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Arul_D Win User

Turn On or Off Narrator Announce Characters as Typed in Windows 10

Are there any other voices for Narrator in the Ease of Access in Windows 10?

Hi Melody,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Type narrator in the search bar and press enter.

• Click on voices

• And select find other voices that work with Narrator.
    Let us know if you need further assistance with Windows related issues. We will be happy to help.

Arul_D, Oct 27, 2019
  5. I can't turn off Narrator in Window 10

Hi Mattys,

Thank you for your response with the current status of the issue.

I suggest you to try to perform below steps and check if it helps.

1. Click on Search bar.

2. Then type "Settings" without the quotes in the search bar and click on it.

3. Click on Ease of Access and click on Narrator.

4. Then turn on Narrator.

Let us know if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Oct 27, 2019
  6. narrator reads wrong characters as i type

Can someone tell me why Narrator reads the wrong letters as I type in a browser? It actually types the right characters but reads different ones. For example I can repeatedly type the letter "f" and it will read "a,z,3,m" etc. It does at Google in both
    Internet explorer and Chrome, but not in Edge.

NicholeWerthaiser, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Turn On or Off Narrator Announce Characters as Typed in Windows 10

1. Turn On or Off Narrator Announce Characters as Typed in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Turn Off Narrator

2. Constant narration WITH narration turned off.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Constant narration WITH narration turned off.: When I open a web page, many times I get the female voice describing the subject of the page I just opened. When I research the problem, all help sites say to turn off the narrator. The narrator is off but she still remains. It's annoying. I figured it's Cortana which I tried...
  3. Turn On or Off Narrator Announce Modifier Keys as Typed in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Narrator Announce Modifier Keys as Typed in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Narrator Announce Modifier Keys as Typed in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Hear Narrator Announce Modifier Keys as Typed in Windows 10 Narrator is a screen-reading app built into Windows 10. Narrator lets you use your PC without a display or...
  4. Turn On or Off Narrator Announce Typed Navigation Keys in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Narrator Announce Typed Navigation Keys in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Narrator Announce Typed Navigation Keys in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Hear Narrator Announce Navigation Keys as Typed in Windows 10 Narrator is a screen-reading app built into Windows 10. Narrator lets you use your PC without a display...
  5. Turn On or Off Narrator Announce Function Keys as Typed in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Narrator Announce Function Keys as Typed in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Narrator Announce Function Keys as Typed in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Hear Narrator Announce Function Keys as Typed in Windows 10 Narrator is a screen-reading app built into Windows 10. Narrator lets you use your PC without a display or...
  6. Turn On or Off Narrator Announce Words as Typed in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Narrator Announce Words as Typed in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Narrator Announce Words as Typed in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Hear Narrator Announce Words as Typed in Windows 10 Narrator is a screen-reading app built into Windows 10. Narrator lets you use your PC without a display or mouse to...
  7. Turn On or Off Narrator Character Phonetic Reading in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Narrator Character Phonetic Reading in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Narrator Character Phonetic Reading in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Narrator Character Phonetic Reading in Windows 10 Narrator is a screen-reading app built into Windows 10. Narrator lets you use your PC without a display or mouse to...
  8. Turn On or Off Narrator Caps Lock Warnings while Typing in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Narrator Caps Lock Warnings while Typing in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Narrator Caps Lock Warnings while Typing in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Narrator Caps Lock Warnings while Typing in Windows 10 Narrator is a screen-reading app built into Windows 10. Narrator lets you use your PC without a display or...
  9. Turn On or Off Show Narrator Home at Narrator Startup in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Show Narrator Home at Narrator Startup in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Show Narrator Home at Narrator Startup in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Show Narrator Home when Narrator Starts in Windows 10 Narrator is a screen-reading app built into Windows 10. Starting with Windows 10 build 17704, when Narrator...
  10. Turn On or Off Narrator in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Narrator in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Narrator in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Narrator in Windows 10 Narrator is a screen-reading app built into Windows 10. Narrator lets you use your PC without a display or mouse to complete common tasks if youre blind or have low vision. It...