Windows 10: Windows 10 & XP dual boot. Best way?

Discus and support Windows 10 & XP dual boot. Best way? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Summary of game plan. Seem OK?? 1. Upgrade the Win7 on the SSD to Win10, using my RTM iso (burned to a DVD). 2. Convert this to a clean install... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by martinlest, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Windows 10 & XP dual boot. Best way?

Summary of game plan. Seem OK??

1. Upgrade the Win7 on the SSD to Win10, using my RTM iso (burned to a DVD).
    2. Convert this to a clean install (can't recall how as I type this, but I know the option is there)
    3. When Win10 all working, unplug the SSD and then install WinXPx64 to one of the HDDs
    4. Reboot and see what happens!
    5. Use EasyBCD to get a dual boot menu. I must get the PC set up so that it default boots to XP after a give timeout (where I have an option to boot into Win10 instead)...

martinlest, Sep 1, 2015

2. The first step will be unplugging the drives leaving only the SSD plugged in for the upgrade over 7! Otherwise you will end up seeing what I ran into here on the 29th of July being a No Go! The boot files and temp install folders end up getting scattered all over! *Eek*Doh It took a day to track the problem until looking over the clean install guide for the upgrade install solution needed!

Once 10 is on and the too often needed clean install to follow you then unplug the SSD when going to plug the intended XP drive in by itself. That prevents one drive from being seen as Disk 0 while XP is being installed to another by only having that drive present not knowing how your drives are set up there.

Once XP is on you then replug the other drives including the SSD in order to add the new boot entry for XP or when going to see the clean install of 10 as suggested earlier leave the XP drive plugged in while the others are unplugged to allow the 10 installer to edit the BCD automatically for you! The idea is to first see the older Windows go on first to the intended drive and once all that is set plug the 10 over 7 SSD drive back in and perform the clean install to have everything set.

If any problem comes up with the planned dual boot refer to the guide for this or since you are planning a dual boot of XP as the secondary OS you will want to review the Neosmart database in order to see this done using EasyBCD. Installing XP as a second OS

Night Hawk, Sep 1, 2015
  3. Sorry I've read that a couple of times, but I can't quite follow the logic. To recap (is this what you are saying?):

1. Unplug all drives apart from the SSD. Upgrade the Win7 to Win10
    2. Unplug all drives apart from one HDD., which will have the XP O/S. Install XP to that drive
    3. Plug the SSD, with Win10, back in, leaving the HDD with WinXP connected
    4. Do the clean install of Win10
    5. Reconnect any other HDDs

The confusion is you say at the start, "The first step will be unplugging the drives leaving only the SSD plugged in for the upgrade over 7!" but later "The idea is to first see the older Windows go on first to the intended drive" ..

So are the above 5 steps how it should be?

Won't I need EasyBCD to get a boot menu?

martinlest, Sep 1, 2015
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Windows 10 & XP dual boot. Best way?

Hi there

WHY double boot XP.

Run XP as a Virtual Machine (VMWARE player / VBOX -both Free). Simple --easy -just start the Virtual machine as a normal program.

An XP VM requires MINIMAL resources on a W10 Host.

I run a VINYL cutting record studio successfully on a Windows XP virtual machine together with a load of legacy hardware -- absolutely NO dual boot needed.

(My XP VM will be around for a long while yet --it's outlasted my W7 system !!!).

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Sep 1, 2015
  5. We're already covered all that! jimbo45

Can you post back a screen of the Disk Management tool? martinlest Once you unplug the SSD for the XP install you will want tthe XP installer to see that drive as Disk #0 first in the boot order to avoid the mbr being written on the wrong drive. By isolation you insure that the XP drive will be able to boot on it's own as well as seeing the boot files end up in the right place.

With 10 if you have anything "But" another OS drive plugged in the boot files and temp install folders will end up in the wrong places preventing the upgrade. So once you have XP installed the only other drive you will plugged in will be the SSD when going to see the upgrade and afterwards the clean install of 10 so that 10 sees the XP drive and adds a boot entry in.

If you end up manually needing to see the XP boot entry added in with the EasyBCD tool refer to the XP dual boot guide at Neosmart there which will outline how to add the new boot entry for XP into the BCD store which is the same seen on Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 as it is for 10. You will want the latest version of that utility program however so it will run on 10 without seeing any compatibility issues. The version just prior to the latest will also work while going back two versions will run into problems.

The technique is simple. The older always goes on first apart from the newer which will then add the older in as a boot option. Generally this is how it works when seeing the newer version installed last. If the older goes on last that will overwrite the newer version's boot information when all drives are plugged in at the same time and why the best move is to isolate the XP drive as well as keep the other drives unplugged until 10 sees the clean install.

Night Hawk, Sep 1, 2015
  6. I'll post again when I am at the PC and working on it - may be a couple of weeks. I think I need to start trying stuff out, once the data is all backed up it won't matter if there are failures initially, I've nothing to lose.. I can even give the VM a go, just to test things out.

Thanks again for the help

martinlest, Sep 1, 2015
  7. That's another big positive with VMs. If something goes wrong, you aren't going to corrupt your OS install.

DeaconFrost, Sep 1, 2015
  8. Windows 10 & XP dual boot. Best way?

If I could get full hardware support I wouldn't hesitate to go down the VM route.. I may try it out even so, as I say. It's easy enough to erase the partition and start again.

Why can't I have Win XP as the host and Win 10 as the VM O/S (or has that already been answered?). It's XP I need to run the hardware..

martinlest, Sep 1, 2015
  9. You could, but there may not be XP drivers available for the system, especially if it's something recent.

What hardware do you have that works with XP but not 10?

DeaconFrost, Sep 1, 2015
  10. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

although you CAN also run a 64 bit GUEST (I.e VM) on a 32 bit host - you have the restrictions of max 4GB RAM etc etc. You also as others have said need NATIVE drivers on the HOST to be able to access some of the newer hardware.

To run a 64 bit VM on a 32 bit HOST you need the CPU VM features to be enabled (if you are using an older machine).
    You in theory don't actually need a 64 bit CPU although you will in practice as the VT technology required will only exist on 64 bit CPU's.

You CAN run fairly simply though a W10 32 bit guest on an XP Host (if you are bonkers enough to try it). Securiy and networking on the HOST (XP) machine will be limited though.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Sep 1, 2015
  11. ... both my o/s are 64-bit - it's all in the previous posts here

martinlest, Sep 1, 2015
  12. As far as I've understood it here, that's not the issue. None, is the answer, but people say the drivers XP may not work when XP is the guest O/S. Without VM there'd be no driver issues.

martinlest, Sep 1, 2015
  13. Windows 10 & XP dual boot. Best way?

I'm confused then. The VM has it's own hardware specs, borrowing pretty much part of your current processor. What I was trying to get to is this. If you had a very old USB printer that wasn't supported under Windows 10, then you won't be able to use it in a VM with XP. If a device, such as a USB flash drive, scanner, printer, etc has Windows 10 drivers so the main/host system can use it, then the VM software will allow you to make that hardware available to the XP virtual machine.

You mentioned it in a previous post, so that's why I asked. The VM software, such as VMWare Player or VirtualBox all have virtual hardware that's compatible with the OS you choose to install as a virtual machine.

I say it often, but dual-booting is dead. If you want to maintain an XP computer, virtualization is the way to go.

DeaconFrost, Sep 1, 2015
  14. I don't know whether some of the hardware is supported by Windows 10 or not - the printer is very new, so it will be. The (music) keyboard is plug-and-play USB as far as I recall... Better I have a look when I get back in a couple of days - I haven't been to the UK since last year and I can't recall exactly what hardware I need to connect.

I can only but give it a go and see what happens. I can ask again here if I come across any problems. Perhaps in a new thread.. Thanks.

martinlest, Sep 2, 2015
  15. OK, just realised one thing. My PC is Windows 7 Home Premium, so although I have an iso for Windows 10 Pro, I guess it won't let me install it? (Any way to do that, short of paying the $99?). I am not installing any other version of Windows 10 as I do not want my updates to run automatically for a start, so I may well stick with Windows 7 and try to install XP via VM with that...

martinlest, Sep 2, 2015
Thema:

Windows 10 & XP dual boot. Best way?

1. Windows 10 & XP dual boot. Best way? - Similar Threads - dual boot Best

2. Dual boot XP on Windows 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual boot XP on Windows 10 Pro: I have new Windows 10 Pro laptop and want to configure to dual boot Windows XP, what is the best way to go about. Installation on multiple partitions or creating virtual machine using Hyper-V? I need to do this on 10 laptops, what is the easy way to do it. It is possible to...
  3. Dual boot XP on Windows 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dual boot XP on Windows 10 Pro: I have new Windows 10 Pro laptop and want to configure to dual boot Windows XP, what is the best way to go about. Installation on multiple partitions or creating virtual machine using Hyper-V? I need to do this on 10 laptops, what is the easy way to do it. It is possible to...
  4. What's the Best Way to Reinstall W10 on a dual-boot system?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What's the Best Way to Reinstall W10 on a dual-boot system?: Hi Your advice please: I currently have a dual-boot system, and its HDD has 2 partitions, which are: GUIP/GPT one for W7 & the other for W10.The HDD is running hot, so I've decided to replace the W10 OS and put it onto a new SSD.And for now, I’ll leave W7 on the HDD, but I...
  5. windows dual boot between 10 & XP

windows dual boot between 10 & XP: hello everyone! *Smile i'm new here just coming over from sevenforums *Roflmao2 anyway i hope sumone maybe able to give me a quick fix to this mess... ok here's the deal...I;ve got 2 partitions on 1 hard drive.....one is windows 10 installed on C: and the other is windows XP...
  6. Dual boot Windows 10 with XP

Dual boot Windows 10 with XP: Hi all I have recently purchased an OMEN 880 (win 10 home edition pre-installed),with 2 empty bays on top for extra hard drives and I would like to know if it's possible to install the hard drive from my Asus into one of these bays, then dual boot. I have read on the...
  7. Windows 10 dual boot with XP - problems.

Windows 10 dual boot with XP - problems.: Hi all, I had Windows XP on my hard drive for a long time, created a separate partition and installed Windows 10. (both 32 bit). Windows 10 is working fine, it set up the dual boot menu where I can also select Windows XP ("earlier version of Windows"). Problem is, in...
  8. Dual boot XP on top of Windows 10

Dual boot XP on top of Windows 10: I have Windows 10 Home on my PC and I'd like to dual boot Windows XP on top of windows 10. But how to do that since after XP, Windows 10 MBR will be lost. 25724
  9. What is the best way to partition a SSD for dual boot?

What is the best way to partition a SSD for dual boot?: This is my first time here so if I need to elaborate on anything or provide more information I'll be happy to. I'm trying to set up a dual boot environment on my Toshiba Satellite laptop. I've done this one other systems in the past enough to where it had become pretty...
  10. Windows 10 & XP dual boot. Best way?

Windows 10 & XP dual boot. Best way?: Hi, I have a PC running Windows xp x32 only at the moment. I want to end up with it running Windows XP (as default) and Windows 10 x64 as a dual boot. What's the best way? 70879