Windows 10: Windows 10’s Game DVR (and Game Bar)

Discus and support Windows 10’s Game DVR (and Game Bar) in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I just discovered something that needed reporting. Several days ago my machine suddenly became severely crippled; almost like when you get a virus,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by kitpzyxmsir, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Windows 10’s Game DVR (and Game Bar)

I just discovered something that needed reporting.

Several days ago my machine suddenly became severely crippled; almost like when you get a virus, or like you install a corrupted\poorly constructed program,. Everything virtually slow to a halt; my keyboard had a severe lag or would not type at all, had trouble bringing up context menus, couldn't launch some programs and couldn't close other for a very long time.

It was like the CPU was permanently maxed out, but my little "CPU Usage in Tray" utility showed pretty normal activity. I was contemplating bad ram or maybe the graphics card.

I had installed nothing remotely questionable recently. Only windows updates.

But there was a red flag that I initially ignored.

When I opened my "Everything" search program, up popped a message box up saying "press win+g to open game bar". I've been using "Everything" portable for years with no such behavior.

When I rebooted the machine, all seemed ok., but eventually started again. I finally put 2 & 2 together and realized that when I opened "Everything" and got that pop-up, is when the strange behavior always began.

It's all about the "Windows 10’s Game DVR (and Game Bar)" that was newly included in the Creators update. More info here.

https://www.howtogeek.com/273180/how...-and-game-bar/

This "Game DVR (and Game Bar)" is on by default when the Creators update is installed. I went to Settings>Gaming, and disabled everything in there. Things went back to normal as far as I can see.

I don't know why "Everything" triggered it, but that probably means there could be other seemingly unrelated things out there that could do the same thing, so beware.

:)

kitpzyxmsir, Jun 21, 2017
  2. Yowa N Win User

"Nothing to record. Play some more and try again."

Configure Game DVR Settings
    The Game Bar and Game DVR settings are controlled from within the Xbox app. Open the Xbox app, click the Settings icon, and then select Game DVR to customize them.

Here is the useful link:

How to Record PC Gameplay With Windows 10’s Game DVR and Game Bar

Yowa N, Jun 21, 2017
  3. "Nothing to record. Play some more and try again."

I know how to use the Game DVR settings. I have looked through them and can't find a single thing that can fix my problem...

WillemDowney, Jun 21, 2017
  4. BRKKAB Win User

Windows 10’s Game DVR (and Game Bar)

I have Windows 10 Creators Update & Everything on my pc and I have no such issue between the 2 with Game DVR & Game Bar enabled.
    Do you have Everything version 1.4.1.877 installed ?

BRKKAB, Jun 21, 2017
  5. BRKKAB Win User
    I don't have Everything set to start with Windows 10, if that helps you.
    I don't get any errors like you get with Everything with Game Mode & GameBar both enabled.

BRKKAB, Jun 21, 2017
  6. I've probably had windows game bar running for around 3-4 months or so? Never noticed a hitch at all, turned it off recently purely because i dont actually use it. Doesnt use much resource wise at all for me, i barely even noticed it

Devlin1888, Jun 21, 2017
  7. You're right, I should have considered that. I had an earlier version.

No, not starting with windows.

Maybe the aberration was due to the Everything version itself? Certainly looks like it, but the symptoms were so serious I didn't want to let it pass without mentioning it here to save someone else the stress.

Others might also be using an earlier version, and who knows if some other obscure thing might instigate it as well.

Thanks for the feed back, I feel a little better now *Party

8. Windows 10’s Game DVR (and Game Bar)

Just adding my two cents, I have game MODE enabled with the latest version of Windows 10. I do not have Game DVR's recording in the background enabled which I believe is off by default anyway.

I have no issues with Game Mode enabled. I have tested every game I have that has an in game benchmark (ROTTR, GOW4, Ghost Recon Wildlands, etc) and ran the benchmarks with game mode off and on. It's not really making a difference one way or the other, and that may be due to the fact that my hardware is more than capable of running games at 1080P. However, just the concept that game mode will reduce background resources while gaming is enough for me to keep it on, as long as it's not causing an issues, which so far it isn't for me.

specialkone, Jun 21, 2017
  9. All my gaming settings were enabled by default on mine, fwiw

I'm not a gamer, so I will defer to you.

I installed the latest "Everything", and re-enabled all the gaming stuff. I then opened "Everything", and that "press win+g to open game bar" still appears, but the bad behavior seems to have vanished.

I'm still curious what is unique about my setup that initiates that, since you guys don't see the message.

Another thing I'd like to know is if those gaming settings have an effect on the system if you are not a gamer. I'm always interested in something that will save resources and I'd like to know how it does it, in other words, what does it turn off?

Since I'm not a gamer, will it make a difference whether I have the gaming settings on or off?

10. I haven't read anything about Windows 10 game mode performance in non gaming (Win 32 or UWP games) applications. My guess is it has no impact, on or off. It's design is to set hardware priority while playing games.

specialkone, Jun 21, 2017
  11. BRKKAB Win User
    It's also really only for older or low-end pc's.
    Game mode really isn't needed for newer cpu's, motherboard's, ssd's or video card's with $GB vram or higher video cards.
    It also relies on the game actually supporting it. Most won't right now.

BRKKAB, Jun 22, 2017
  12. Helmut Win User
    The Game Mode and Game Recorder were buried in the Xbox App from Windows 8.1 and earlier versions of Windows 10 but not many people realised that, I have always configured that.
    These have been brought in to the main Windows 10 settings which is certainly a plus, easier to get at.

As a default I leave the Game Bar Off, Game DVR Off, Game Mode On.
    The Game Mode makes no difference on mine anyway, no ill effects On or Off. I play one game now and again. It's only basically a priority thing when playing a recognised Game.
    The Game DVR has other uses, not only games.

Helmut, Jun 22, 2017
  13. Windows 10’s Game DVR (and Game Bar)

I spoke too soon. Even with the updated "Everything" the bad behavior returns.

This backup machine (my #2) is a refurbished win pro 10, i5, 4g ram, mechanical hd.

My #1 unit is win pro 10, i5, but 16g ram, and a ssd.

I imaged the OS partition of #1 and installed it on #2.

So the only difference between the two software-wise is the drivers unique to each one installed by windows update.

The #1 machine has no problems.

As long as I leave gaming turned off on #2, its ok.

kitpzyxmsir, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10’s Game DVR (and Game Bar)

1. Windows 10’s Game DVR (and Game Bar) - Similar Threads - 10’s Game DVR

2. Xbox game bar not working no dvr?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Xbox game bar not working no dvr?: So happens that I have been wanting to use the xbox game bar but couldn't, and after a fair bit of research I think I've found the source of the problem being it the gamedvr.Every solution I've found is to simply enable it, either in the registry or the local group policy...
  3. Xbox game bar not working no dvr?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Xbox game bar not working no dvr?: So happens that I have been wanting to use the xbox game bar but couldn't, and after a fair bit of research I think I've found the source of the problem being it the gamedvr.Every solution I've found is to simply enable it, either in the registry or the local group policy...
  4. Game DVR

in Windows 10 Customization
    Game DVR: Nvidia Quadro 3000M support Game DVR for win10 xbox video record? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/game-dvr/7581a001-7c3d-40b5-b93b-b05ccd2ec615
  5. Windows 10 GAME DVR

Windows 10 GAME DVR: Hi, since i updates to the latest windows update Game DVR stops working. I go to settings and click Records game,clips,screenshots.... using game Bar I enable it then I close the settings and open it again and i still have to enable it (keeps resetting) How to fix that?...
  6. Windows 10 Game DVR

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Game DVR: I have been trying to record clips by using the record last 3 minutes button on my game bar. I have also tried using the Win-Alt-G shortcut. The result that I continue to get is a picture of the game initially but it is frozen and nothing happens. The audio comes through just...
  7. Game DVR

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Game DVR: A half of my clips, recorded using game DVR have not picture, only sound and, sometimes, a cursor. I can record only some games, like Skyrim and KSP, and others (CS:GO, Assasin's Creed II, Planetside 2) can't be recorded with a picture. But even in Skyrim some clips have the...
  8. Game DVR

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Game DVR: A half of my clips, recorded using game DVR have not picture, only sound and, sometimes, a cursor. I can record only some games, like Skyrim and KSP, and others (CS:GO, Assasin's Creed II, Planetside 2) can't be recorded with a picture. But even in Skyrim some clips have the...
  9. GAME DVR

GAME DVR: what IS MOVIE FORMAT FOR GAME DVR https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-winapps-appscat_music/game-dvr/58a87439-8d23-4c58-9a98-ed68fe690ef6
  10. Game DVR

in Windows 10 Customization
    Game DVR: When I try to record clips of my Rocket League Gameplay, they clips are just blank screens with audio. Please help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/game-dvr/eee274d8-61e3-406c-ba19-58d2988dc70c

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 1809 gamebar dvr problems