Windows 10: Windows 11 File Explorer Preview Pane for PDF files not working consistently

Discus and support Windows 11 File Explorer Preview Pane for PDF files not working consistently in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I am running Windows 11 version 21H2 patched up to date and have noticed this problem recently, although I am not sure exactly when it started in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Stewart Quelch, Dec 2, 2023.

1. Windows 11 File Explorer Preview Pane for PDF files not working consistently

I am running Windows 11 version 21H2 patched up to date and have noticed this problem recently, although I am not sure exactly when it started in relation to recent patches.When I open a folder the preview pane shows "Select a file to preview".Selecting a .jpg file shows the preview.Selecting a .doc file shows "No preview available" - expected as I do not have Microsoft Office.Selecting a .pdf file causes the preview pane to go blank.My solution is to untick the Show Preview Pane option, close explorer, open explorer, tick the Show Preview Pane option.Selecting a .pdf file now shows the previe

:)

Stewart Quelch, Dec 2, 2023
  2. StuartPJW Win User

Windows 11 File Explorer Preview Pane for PDF files not working consistently

I am running Windows 11 version 21H2 patched up to date and have noticed this problem recently, although I am not sure exactly when it started in relation to recent patches.
    When I open a folder the preview pane shows "Select a file to preview".
    Selecting a .jpg file shows the preview.
    Selecting a .doc file shows "No preview available" - expected as I do not have Microsoft Office.
    Selecting a .pdf file causes the preview pane to go blank.

My solution is to untick the Show Preview Pane option, close explorer, open explorer, tick the Show Preview Pane option.
    Selecting a .pdf file now shows the preview. (This does not work without closing explorer and reopening it.)
    Has anyone else experienced this, and more to the point, does anyone know of a fix?

StuartPJW, Dec 2, 2023
  3. Preview Pane Not Working For Some File Types

After upgrading user's computer to Windows 11, he cannot preview some documents in the preview pane (he could prior to the update).

They are files created by Siemens NX application and have the file type .prt

The preview pane works for your normal stuff like .pdf or .txt files.

Issue happens for existing files on the network as well as newly created .prt files

Troubleshooting already performed:

• Restart Windows Explorer
    • Restore File Explorer settings to default
    • Ran SFC, DISM, and chkdsk tools
    • The application creating the files was reinstalled
    • Re-installed Windows 11 (multiple times)
    • File explorer options
      • 'show preview handlers in the preview pane' checkbox is checked
      • 'always show icons, never thumbnails' is unchecked
    • Tried the performance option of 'adjust for best appearance'

CodyAsfeld, Dec 2, 2023
  4. Eric Ber Win User

No PDF viewer in File explorer preview pane

Hi Steve,

Conflicts with the program settings is one of the possible reasons why you are unable to view the PDF preview in the File Explorer Preview Pane. We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps in this

thread,
    and go to the post that was provided by Michalis_Georgiou
    on October 24, 2017 in the 2nd page, and check if you will still encounter the same issue.

Should you need further assistance, don't hesitate to get back to us.

Eric Ber, Dec 2, 2023
Thema:

1. Windows 11 File Explorer Preview Pane for PDF files not working consistently - Similar Threads - File Explorer Preview

2. Preview PDF files on Preview Pane

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Preview PDF files on Preview Pane: Hello! I can't preview pdf files on the preview pane sidebar. As usual, I can preview pdf not docx files but I don't know what changes and now I can preview docx files but not the pdf. Please help me!...
  3. Preview PDF files on Preview Pane

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Preview PDF files on Preview Pane: Hello! I can't preview pdf files on the preview pane sidebar. As usual, I can preview pdf not docx files but I don't know what changes and now I can preview docx files but not the pdf. Please help me!...
  4. Windows 11 - File Explorer Preview Pane for PDF files not working

Windows 11 - File Explorer Preview Pane for PDF files not working: I am running Windows 11 version 23H2 patched up to date and have noticed this problem recently.When I open a folder the preview pane shows "Select a file to preview".Selecting a .jpg file shows the preview.Selecting a .doc file shows "No preview available"Selecting a .pdf...
  5. Windows 11 - File Explorer Preview Pane for PDF files not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 - File Explorer Preview Pane for PDF files not working: I am running Windows 11 version 23H2 patched up to date and have noticed this problem recently.When I open a folder the preview pane shows "Select a file to preview".Selecting a .jpg file shows the preview.Selecting a .doc file shows "No preview available"Selecting a .pdf...
  6. Windows 11 File Explorer Preview Pane for PDF files not working consistently

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 File Explorer Preview Pane for PDF files not working consistently: I am running Windows 11 version 21H2 patched up to date and have noticed this problem recently, although I am not sure exactly when it started in relation to recent patches.When I open a folder the preview pane shows "Select a file to preview".Selecting a .jpg file shows the...
  7. Windows 11 File Explorer Preview Pane for PDF files not working consistently

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 File Explorer Preview Pane for PDF files not working consistently: I am running Windows 11 version 21H2 patched up to date and have noticed this problem recently, although I am not sure exactly when it started in relation to recent patches.When I open a folder the preview pane shows "Select a file to preview".Selecting a .jpg file shows the...
  8. Windows 11 File Explorer Preview Pane for PDF files not working consistently

9. PDF file previews on MS-File Explorer preview pane

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    PDF file previews on MS-File Explorer preview pane: After an automatic Windows 10 update on Nov-14-2018 under KB4465663 and KB4467702, WIndows 10 MS-File Explorer is very sluggish and unable to show and .pdf previews, in the preview pane. Any solutions?...
  10. file explorer windows 10 pdf preview pane

in Windows 10 Support
    file explorer windows 10 pdf preview pane: can anyone help me in windows 7, I was able to to go into file explorer and would be able to see the document in the preview pane using PDF viewer Plus. Now I am unable to see anything. I cant seem to see any way to configure the file explorer to see any pdf files. Word files...