Windows 10: Windows 11 Frequent 100% Disk Usage

Discus and support Windows 11 Frequent 100% Disk Usage in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hello, I upgraded to a new computer about a month ago, and everything was perfectly fine, until a week later, when Disk Usage shot up to 100% and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Thunderbolt Thunderbolt, Dec 3, 2023.

1. Windows 11 Frequent 100% Disk Usage

Hello, I upgraded to a new computer about a month ago, and everything was perfectly fine, until a week later, when Disk Usage shot up to 100% and stayed like that for about 20 - 30 minutes. It slows down the entire system, persisting through even a restart. Restarts usually take a single minute, but when it's got this strange thing going on, restarts can take up to 7 - 13 minutes. It goes back down again, eventually, I just have to wait it out.It used to be weekly, but now it's several times per day. It is always "System" that is at the top of the disk usage list when this occurs. Is there any

:)

Thunderbolt Thunderbolt, Dec 3, 2023

2. 100% disk usage

The most common cause of 100% disk usage appears to be Superfetch and Prefetch, but there are also other causes. You can try disabling both these features and see if it helps.

This article provides steps to disable prefecth and superfetch:

-
    How to Fix 100% Disk Usage Error in Windows 10

Salman Patwegar, Dec 3, 2023
  3. Windows 11 NTFS file system 100% disk usage

Hello,

I recently installed Windows 11 Home alongside an Ubuntu 22.04 operating system. I have 1TB HDD and I allocated 390GiB for Windows 11. I selected NTFS file system. Unfortunately, the PC is incredible slow because of 100 percent disk usage. For example, It took (literally) 5 minutes to open a simple Microsoft Edge application.

I have tried to fix the issue using the following resources: How to Fix 100% Disk Usage in Windows 11 (12 Effective Ways) and Windows 11 100% disk usage. None of them helped: Install all Windows update, Disable SysMain service, Disable Telemetry service, Disable Windows Search, Disable Startup Apps, Disable MSI Mode, Run Disk Check (with all NTFS option), Perform a Clean Install, Defragment the Disk.

Note that: I got an 5% fragmentation on the disk. After I defragmented the disk, the disk usage was magically decreased and everything was fast. However, when I restarted the PC then the disk usage was again 100 percent. I defragmented (the 0% fragmented disk) again but it did not help. One important thing is that the disk read/write operations are couple of KiBs on the Ubuntu 22.04 system. The disk read/write operations are multiple hundreds of KiBs on the Windows 11 system.

System Information:

• Dell Inspiron 3580 x64 based laptop
    • Processor: Intel Core i5-8265U
    • Memory: 16GiB RAM and 2.86GiB Page file
    • Free space: 261.86GiB
    • Disk: ST1000LM035-1RK172

I wrote this question because now I feel hopeless. I am unable to resolve the disk usage problem by myself. Support is highly appreciated!

Péter Szilvási, Dec 3, 2023
  4. Jose Est Win User

Windows 11 Frequent 100% Disk Usage

100% disk usage and memory usage

Hi,

100% disk usage and memory usage can be caused by a software corruption, running application running on the background and malware or virus infection.

For us to properly isolate the issue and provide an appropriate resolution, kindly answer the questions below:

• Did the issue happen after installing the Fall Creators?
    • Did you receive any error messages?
    • Can you send us the screenshot of the Task Manager showing the 100% disk usage and memory usage?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

For isolation purposes, please perform a clean boot to see if the same issue will occur. Refer to this
    article for more information on how to perform a clean boot
    in Windows.

Looking forward to your response.

Jose Est, Dec 3, 2023
Thema:

Windows 11 Frequent 100% Disk Usage

1. Windows 11 Frequent 100% Disk Usage - Similar Threads - Frequent 100% Disk

2. Windows 11 Frequent 100% Disk Usage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Frequent 100% Disk Usage: Hello, I upgraded to a new computer about a month ago, and everything was perfectly fine, until a week later, when Disk Usage shot up to 100% and stayed like that for about 20 - 30 minutes. It slows down the entire system, persisting through even a restart. Restarts usually...
  3. Windows 11 disk usage 100%

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 disk usage 100%: Hello, recently my computer's disk usage is at 100% without even a single app running in it just when it start upI will leave a screen shot below. As you can see in it, only snipping tool is running and that was to take this screen shot. 90% of the time my disk is at 100%...
  4. Windows 11 disk usage 100%

Windows 11 disk usage 100%: Hello, recently my computer's disk usage is at 100% without even a single app running in it just when it start upI will leave a screen shot below. As you can see in it, only snipping tool is running and that was to take this screen shot. 90% of the time my disk is at 100%...
  5. 100 % disk usage windows 11.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    100 % disk usage windows 11.: I have tried all the measures available on the internet about 100% disk usage but still my problem is not solved.my pc is 5 years old and the info is as follow:Processor IntelR CoreTM i5-8250U CPU @ 1.60GHz 1.80 GHz Installed RAM 8.00 GB 7.87 GB usable System type 64-bit...
  6. 100 % disk usage windows 11.

100 % disk usage windows 11.: I have tried all the measures available on the internet about 100% disk usage but still my problem is not solved.my pc is 5 years old and the info is as follow:Processor IntelR CoreTM i5-8250U CPU @ 1.60GHz 1.80 GHz Installed RAM 8.00 GB 7.87 GB usable System type 64-bit...
  7. Windows 11 100% disk usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 100% disk usage: Hi, I am running windows 11 but have recently noticed my PC has slowed. I checked the task manager and it shows that Disk is running at 100% on a constant basis. I tried using this https://www.kapilarya.com/fix-windows-10-100-percent-disk-usage-problem but I cannot find the...
  8. 100% disk usage on windows 11

100% disk usage on windows 11: Hi I have a HP laptop running windows 11 that is running very slow. I have done a complete restore and wiped everything still no change. Then I did a task manager check and it comes up with 100% disk usage. This is causing my problem but I have nothing loaded . I have checked...
  9. Windows 11 100% disk usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 100% disk usage: Hello, recently windows offered free update from Windows 10 to Windows 11. Since completing this update, I have been having the issue whereby task manager shows that 100% disk being used on a constant basis. Laptop runs at a snail's pace now and it's only 3 months old. Could...
  10. Disk Usage 100% and Frequent Freezes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disk Usage 100% and Frequent Freezes: So I'm getting this Disk Usage 100% since about a month for about 5 - 10 mins after bootup and randomly. Computer is completely unusable during this times. No process is consuming disk resources (0% I/O) . I've tried everything on the internet except Clean installing windows....