Windows 10: Windows 11 Media Player audio slider wont adjust volume.

Discus and support Windows 11 Media Player audio slider wont adjust volume. in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; when using the Default Media Player the volume slider does nothing to actually change the volume. The regular master volume slider Still works but all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by elijah mohler, Apr 21, 2024.

1. Windows 11 Media Player audio slider wont adjust volume.

when using the Default Media Player the volume slider does nothing to actually change the volume. The regular master volume slider Still works but all other sliders, including the app sliders in the volume mixer do not work or do anything to change the volume.

:)

elijah mohler, Apr 21, 2024

2. Changing volume using Windows 10 volume slider vs changing volume in media player

Windows 10 volume slider:

This is the main slider which controls overall volume of your PC.

VLC player & Spotify

These and other similar programs volume sliders control itself volume.

Example:

if you decrease volume or mute within media player then you are modifying that specific player sound; Not entire PC. Which means, Those settings won't applied on Windows Notification System OR other media players and they can play sounds.

And if you modify Windows 10 volume like "mute it" then all sounds will be muted. (Including media player, notification and other sounds)

In Short:

• Windows 10: Global settings and will effect all sounds (players, notifications etc)
    • Media Players: Specific player settings

Hope it helps Windows 11 Media Player audio slider wont adjust volume. :)

Atlas_Gondal, Apr 21, 2024
  3. Rahul Win User
    Changing volume using Windows 10 volume slider vs changing volume in media player

Usually, none, because the players just pass through the audio(after necessary decoding due to the codec, not the amplitude). On a separate note, there would have been a difference if the audio was fed directly into an internal/external DAC (sound card) because of better noise ratio.

Yes. Media player amplifies only your songs and its inherent noise signals. But the OS will amplify all the inputs, of which media player is only one. We have the default Windows sound engine that gives the sound notifications, and potentially many more, like chrome that opens up a channel. So, Windows will amplify your song and all the noise that come from other inputs. The final effect is not that bad because most inputs are designed such that when there is no sound output, it closes the path, thereby avoiding noise. Also, for a user, it is more convenient to handle just one volume control.

The OS changes the amplitude of all audio being routed through the sound card. OS knows the absolute high and low that your sound card supports - so can better judge the feasible levels and gradations.

It decodes, reduces amplitude, and sends to the OS.

1. We set the media player volume at 150% and windows at 10%. Quality
      is bad
      , volume would be low (because end result would be 15%). VLC
      artificially amplifies the signals using interpolation
      , thereby
      adding noise.
    2. We set the media player volume at 10% and windows at 90%. Quality
      is fine, volume would be low (because end result would be 9%).
      Neither the media player or the OS messes with the actual signal,
      hence no losses.
    3. We set the media player volume at 90% and windows at 10%. Quality
      is fine, volume would be low (because end result would be 9%).
      Neither the media player or the OS messes with the actual signal,
      hence no losses.
    4. Some media players like Windows Movies etc. uses the latest Windows
      SDKs and hence hands over all the volume change inputs directly to
      the OS through SDK. So when you move the voume slide inside the
      Windows Movies, the OS slider also moves. This is an optimal
      solution, since it reduces one step of pass through.
    5. When the volume at high levels like 70% above will sound worse
      usually, but the culprit is the speaker system that cannot handle frequencies at that amplitude. Neither the OS, nor the media player is the issue.

Rahul, Apr 21, 2024
  4. Windows 11 Media Player audio slider wont adjust volume.

Changing volume using Windows 10 volume slider vs changing volume in media player

What are the differences in the quality of sound output when the volume is changed in the following environments:

• Windows 10 volume slider in bottom-right corner
    • Media program such as VLC player when playing a music file
    • Media program such as Spotify when streaming music

Is there any difference between the 3, e.g., would turning down the volume using Windows 10 volume slider be any different from turning down the volume using the VLC inbuilt volume slider?

George Tian, Apr 21, 2024
Thema:

Windows 11 Media Player audio slider wont adjust volume.

1. Windows 11 Media Player audio slider wont adjust volume. - Similar Threads - Media Player audio

2. Windows 11 Media Player audio slider wont adjust volume.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Media Player audio slider wont adjust volume.: when using the Default Media Player the volume slider does nothing to actually change the volume. The regular master volume slider Still works but all other sliders, including the app sliders in the volume mixer do not work or do anything to change the volume....
  3. Windows 11 audio volume slider ignore default audio device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 audio volume slider ignore default audio device: Hi,I am using Windows 11 with 2 audio sources, switching between the two daily Speakers and Headphones. Today I noticed that I can't change the volume of anything that is not my speakers via the volume control.To be precise I can't control my headphone's volume using the...
  4. Windows 11 audio volume slider ignore default audio device

Windows 11 audio volume slider ignore default audio device: Hi,I am using Windows 11 with 2 audio sources, switching between the two daily Speakers and Headphones. Today I noticed that I can't change the volume of anything that is not my speakers via the volume control.To be precise I can't control my headphone's volume using the...
  5. Avoid "bong" when adjusting the volume slider on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Avoid "bong" when adjusting the volume slider on Windows 10: When I adjust the volume slider with the mouse or arrow keys, there is always "bong" sound. It is very intrusive. I am adjusting the slider based on the volume of the music to optimize concentration. Every single adjustment is followed by a very loud "BONG". Not only is it...
  6. Volume wheel/slider not actually adjusting volume

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Volume wheel/slider not actually adjusting volume: I'm running into some kind of software conflict where my volume wheel on my keyboard brings up the volume slider to the left side of the screen and the little animation shows it increasing/decreasing the volume, but my actual volume isn't going down and the only way to turn...
  7. Sound plays while the volume adjustment slider is open

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sound plays while the volume adjustment slider is open: Since this morning whenever I open the volume slider an alarm sound starts playing automatically. Because I want to adjust the volume of the thing I'm currently listening to this is obviously rather annoying. I cannot find any information about this only so I was wondering if...
  8. XML audio files wont play on Windows Media Player

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    XML audio files wont play on Windows Media Player: Hi there, How do I play XML Audio documents, imported from my recording device, on Windows 10 as Windows Media Player won't play them. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/xml-audio-files-wont-play-on-windows-media-player/1c802cbb-8e45-4582-a212-25164ddf23bd
  9. System Tray Volume Slider ding noise when adjusting the volume.

in Windows 10 Customization
    System Tray Volume Slider ding noise when adjusting the volume.: I noticed that the volume slider no longer makes the ding when adjusting the volume. This is very annoying especially when trying to adjust the volume for multiple external sources. I now have to make sure something is playing when changing the output device. So very...
  10. Windows Media Player volume

Windows Media Player volume: WMP audio volume slider and mute are not working but it does have sound. If I use the main volume mixer I can control the speaker volume but not WMP. I also have MPC-HC media player installed and it's volume control works fine. What can I do? 77616