Windows 10: Windows 11 - Movie Maker no longer showing MOV images but Media Player Does

Discus and support Windows 11 - Movie Maker no longer showing MOV images but Media Player Does in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello - I have been using Windows Movie Maker on my Windows 10 now upgraded to 11 laptop for the past few years. I have had the appropriate CODECs... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Richard Baylor, Dec 6, 2023.

1. Windows 11 - Movie Maker no longer showing MOV images but Media Player Does

Hello - I have been using Windows Movie Maker on my Windows 10 now upgraded to 11 laptop for the past few years. I have had the appropriate CODECs loaded and able to use MP4, MOV, etc files with both Media Player and Movie Maker. In mid-Nov, there appears to have been an update as a few general Windows features were modified. I also noticed that Movie Maker now only shows a black image when working with MOV file extensions. I paid for the HVEC package from Microsoft just to be safe and still not working. I then tested this on a second laptop and still not working. Any ideas as to why

:)

Richard Baylor, Dec 6, 2023

2. Can not play .mov files in Media Player or Movie Maker after upgrading to Windows10

Just upgraded to windows10 and find that I cannot play .mov files in media player or movie maker. Sound comes through on media player but not the video. In movie maker it goes through the preparing step and then I get exclamation marks over the video preview
    on the left. Whem I double click the preview video a message pops up asking if I want to remove the video. On the bottom of the pop up there a "How do I fix this problem?" line I selected and it took me to Movie Maker is not available for download on Windows 10 - Microsoft Support

The info is as follows:

A photo or video that you add in Movie Maker might appear with an error icon. This indicates that the photo or video can't currently be used in Movie Maker.

Here are some things to try to fix the issue:

• Make sure the video and audio codec that is required to play the video is installed on your computer. For information about determining which codecs are used by a video file, and how to find and install missing codecs, see Codecs:
      frequently asked questions
      on the Windows website.

• If a codec is missing, you might want to try to play the video file in Windows Media Player. For some types of video files, Windows Media Player can automatically download and install missing codecs. If the missing codec can be installed, you can then try
      to add the video file again in Movie Maker. For more information about the types of multimedia files that Windows Media Player supports, as well as additional information about finding codecs, see the article Information
      about the multimedia file types that Windows Media Player supports
      on the Microsoft website.

• If a picture or video is missing on the storyboard, make sure that the source photo or video file hasn't been renamed, moved, or deleted.

• Video and music files that are protected with digital rights management (DRM) can't be used in Movie Maker. Remove protected files from the storyboard, and then continue editing.

• If a video appears as a music item on the storyboard, remove the video from the storyboard. Video files can't be used as a soundtrack in Movie Maker.

• If a video, photo, or music file type isn't supported in Movie Maker, remove it from the storyboard. For more information about what types of files you can use in Movie Maker, see What
      kind of files can I use in Movie Maker?

This looks to be a codec issue. If anyone has info please provide assistance.

Thanks

stanleykmiec, Dec 6, 2023
  3. Media Player and movie maker in Windows

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern, and we in Community will try to help you in the best possible way we can.

I suggest you follow the below methods, this will help you to use Windows Media Player or Windows Movie Maker.

Method 1:

Enable the Windows Media Player

a. Go to start and in the search type Turn Windows features on or off.

b. Click on Turn Windows features on or off.

c. Browse to the Media Features and place a check mark in front of
    Windows Media Player.

d. Restart the computer and check if it helps.

Method 2:

As you mentioned Windows Movie Maker is not preinstalled in Windows 10.

You can download and use Movie Maker, it works in Windows 10.

To download Movie Maker follow the link below:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/movie-maker

Hope the information helps, if you have any further queries, feel free to post. We are here to assist you.

Regards,

Guru Kiran

Guru Kiran G, Dec 6, 2023
  4. Windows 11 - Movie Maker no longer showing MOV images but Media Player Does

cannot play .mov on media player

I installed QuickTime and downloaded codecs and it still won't play.

VanessaLowell, Dec 6, 2023
Thema:

Windows 11 - Movie Maker no longer showing MOV images but Media Player Does

1. Windows 11 - Movie Maker no longer showing MOV images but Media Player Does - Similar Threads - Movie Maker longer

2. Windows 11 - Movie Maker no longer showing MOV images but Media Player Does

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 - Movie Maker no longer showing MOV images but Media Player Does: Hello - I have been using Windows Movie Maker on my Windows 10 now upgraded to 11 laptop for the past few years. I have had the appropriate CODECs loaded and able to use MP4, MOV, etc files with both Media Player and Movie Maker. In mid-Nov, there appears to have been an...
  3. Windows XP Movie Maker says .MOV Files is not a supported file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows XP Movie Maker says .MOV Files is not a supported file: Hello, I was going to do some video editing with .mov files I got from my old camera using windows xp movie maker. when I drag or import my .mov video files I got from my 2006 old camera on windows movie maker, it doesn't support it. is there a way to get windows xp movie...
  4. Windows XP Movie Maker says .MOV Files is not a supported file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows XP Movie Maker says .MOV Files is not a supported file: Hello, I was going to do some video editing with .mov files I got from my old camera using windows xp movie maker. when I drag or import my .mov video files I got from my 2006 old camera on windows movie maker, it doesn't support it. is there a way to get windows xp movie...
  5. Pay to view MOV files in Media Player.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pay to view MOV files in Media Player.: Why I need to pay to unlock HEVC Video Extension?I can't play MOV files in Windows 11 Media Player Preview version without this extension. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pay-to-view-mov-files-in-media-player/a7e4ca93-562b-47f3-ac03-e12430601643
  6. Pay to view MOV files in Media Player.

Pay to view MOV files in Media Player.: Why I need to pay to unlock HEVC Video Extension?I can't play MOV files in Windows 11 Media Player Preview version without this extension. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pay-to-view-mov-files-in-media-player/a7e4ca93-562b-47f3-ac03-e12430601643
  7. Movie Maker:

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Movie Maker:: For some reason all my pictures are showing up in a screwed up style where half the picture is vertical and the other half is horizontal. I don't know how I managed to do this. I don't make movies, just take pictures and can't figure out how to get rid of Movie Maker and get...
  8. Windows Movie Maker...I loved it but no longer available.

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Windows Movie Maker...I loved it but no longer available.: In the past I have made several videos using my personal photos and music. I always used windows Movie Maker and it was free but it is no longer available. (Very disappointing Microsoft!) Can someone recommend a free, easy to use program that lets me use my own music to...
  9. Windows Media Player and Movie Maker crash on AVI files

Windows Media Player and Movie Maker crash on AVI files: Hi guys, I have an issue with Windows Media Player (again). I am using Windows 10 64 bit with all updates installed and I am using the 64 bit version of Media Player. I have a number of AVI files, which I have recorded. According to ffmpeg, the AVI container contains the...
  10. Movie makers

Movie makers: Since upgrading to windows 10 my Movie Maker 2.6 no longer works. I tried to change the compatibility mode but it is set for Vista and is unchangeable. I is there a "Freeware" (Not free to download but have to purchase) program for making movies. I only use this once in a...