Windows 10: Windows 1607 (AU) sludge -Scheduled Tasks/Start Ups

Discus and support Windows 1607 (AU) sludge -Scheduled Tasks/Start Ups in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I finally had to go to Windows 1607, thanks to the update that doesn't let you resched/change reboot times. Now I've been on it about 2 weeks. My... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by hooked, Oct 29, 2016.

1. hooked Win User

Windows 1607 (AU) sludge -Scheduled Tasks/Start Ups

I finally had to go to Windows 1607, thanks to the update that doesn't let you resched/change reboot times. Now I've been on it about 2 weeks. My startup, restart, and shutdown times are very slow!
    I finally made time to start looking for ways to optimize. I have a utility that manages startup items, and I use it frequently.
    It's broken down by Startup Programs, Scheduled Tasks, PlugIns, Application Svcs, and Windows services.
    The Startup Programs I can determine if they should startup with Windows. But it gets much cloudier on the other four
    categories.
    Get this: There are 78 Scheduled Tasks and all but about 10 are Enabled. Almost all of them are Windows, and I'm clueless what most of them do. I've done it before - Googled any of the tasks that I don't understand, then decided if i could disable them. But as many times as I've had to reinstall Windows 10 for various reasons, I just don't have the energy or motivation to look up 40-50 tasks.
    There are 75 Application Services, again - Mostly Windows and I don't know what many of them do.
    Then, drum roll..... Services. I have 242 of them. Some I can easily spot because they're from my applications, or they're obvious Windows services that I know if I need or not.

So, does anyone know of a template more or less, that gives a standard recommended list of what Windows Needs to run? I think Viper still publishes lists of services - I haven't gotten that far since the Windows AU. And he always broke down several versions based on which Windows version, Home/Pro, Performance/Safe, etc. But those Scheduled Tasks and Application Services are a lot to peruse, and even if I take the time to Google them, I could still misinterpret the definition and disable something and blow up my system.

And I built this computer with some pretty high end components almost 2 years ago. It was built for speed at the time, and it should still be pretty fast. And until I clean up all this crap that's running (probably much of it needlessly) I don't feel like I can really troubleshoot to see if I have a hardware issue.

Any help out there? Thx

:)

hooked, Oct 29, 2016
  2. David_882 Win User

(SOLVED) Anniversary Update (Version 1607 Build14393) Breaks Task Scheduler

Hey There,

i found another interesting Bug:

If your task contains a specific network connection as a condition, the task won't run. If you try to start it manually, you'll get an error like this:

"Task Scheduler service is not available. Task Scheduler will attempt to reconnect to it."

Windows 10 Enterprise N

Version 1607

David_882, Oct 29, 2016
  3. Window's 10 Update and Security is currently unreliable. Windows Firewall and Defender will be actively managed.

Windows Update will fully download Windows 10 version 1607 for the 2nd time this week. The Task Scheduler or Windows Firewall started Windows Update this morning, Sunday, 10/16/2016. Windows Update will not be relied upon at this time. Windows Defender was
    not effective in a previous Windows OS, but will be actively used to determine its effectiveness, and Windows Firewall will be actively managed. Update and Security just finished downloading Update 1607 and requested a computer restart, but a restart and update
    install will not be done this evening. This maybe scheduled sometime later, but has not been decided. The Task Scheduler App will be checked. Windows Update states that Version 1607 is still available, but it just finished downloading it and took several hours
    again.

MattLileWest, Oct 29, 2016
  4. Mystere Win User

While you certainly CAN go about things like you intend, I just want to warn you that in my experience 90+% of the time people have problems with Windows 10 is after they have tried to "customize". In other words, you're increasing your risk of having problems in the future if you do this.

But, it's your system, do with it as you wish.

Mystere, Oct 29, 2016
  5. hooked Win User
    I appreciate your input, and I don't ever go after it with a butcher knife. It's just that this go around with my PC being so slow, and me seeing at least 1/3 more startup items than previously - I'm sorta desperate. I just want some of my performance back.

hooked, Oct 30, 2016
  6. Mystere Win User
    One of the things to keep in mind is that one reason you may see more items is that Windows does certain optimizations. For instance, if you have a low amount of memory, Windows will run many of your services under a single service handler exe, but when you have more memory it will run them separately as their own. So this will make it look like there are more services, but in reality it's the same, they're just running individually to gain more performance.

Mystere, Oct 30, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    Hi, question is, what's making your system slow.

Try:
    1. a clean boot vs a normal boot
    2. try disabling fast start-up
    3. Perform a proper analysis using xperf and xbootmgr
    Windows Performance, Speed Up Boot Time, Xbootmgr | TechNet
    Analyzing a Slow Boot with Windows Performance Recorder Helge Klein
    (Very technical though and not for the faint-hearted).
    4. Grab a spare HDD and do a fresh install of Win 10 for test purposes, and see how that runs. If that's faster, it's not a Windows problem per se.

dalchina, Oct 31, 2016
  8. Windows 1607 (AU) sludge -Scheduled Tasks/Start Ups

For staters make sure, that you do NOT have "Standard SATA AHCI Controller" installed in IDE Controllers.

TairikuOkami, Oct 31, 2016
  9. hooked Win User
    Oh my, thanks for all that info. I'll try anything new to troubleshoot. And no.... I don't have any SATA/IDE mix ups. Ha ha
    I had already thought about installing windows on a spare drive. But I really want to use my primary drive, it's much faster. So I will be trying your advice.
    Thx

hooked, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 1607 (AU) sludge -Scheduled Tasks/Start Ups - Similar Threads - 1607 sludge Scheduled

2. Task Scheduler doesn't start task

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task Scheduler doesn't start task: I use FreeFileSync to backup my NAS to a USB drive. The batch file runs when I manually start it by double clicking on the batch file. Per FreeFileSync instructions I put "C:\Program Files\FreeFileSync\FreeFileSync.exe" in the "Program/Script: field" and "C:\FreeFileSync...
  3. Task Scheduler doesn't start task

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Task Scheduler doesn't start task: I use FreeFileSync to backup my NAS to a USB drive. The batch file runs when I manually start it by double clicking on the batch file. Per FreeFileSync instructions I put "C:\Program Files\FreeFileSync\FreeFileSync.exe" in the "Program/Script: field" and "C:\FreeFileSync...
  4. Task Scheduler doesn't start task

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Task scheduler started and then stopped

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Task scheduler started and then stopped: I have tried to restart my pc, the command sfc /scannow, all its dependencies are started. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/task-scheduler-started-and-then-stopped/c93037d9-1f67-4608-83df-68be8f2da9df
  6. Task Scheduler is not starting

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Task Scheduler is not starting: Whenever I try to start Task Scheduler, it always brings me to an error. It says, "The Task Scheduler service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in us by other services or programs. I need to start this, so I can...
  7. Task scheduler won't start

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Task scheduler won't start: I have the problem whare the task scheduler in services is set to automatice but fails to start and log in is greyed out. I have tried many solutions and none have worked. However I did find a solution and it was down to my own error. I used a program called DISMPP-10 and...
  8. Task Scheduler Will Not Start

in Windows 10 Support
    Task Scheduler Will Not Start: Hey everyone, Have an issue with task scheduler not stating which is causing issues with say Nvidia Geforce Experience not starting as it requires it to update. When I try to start it from services I get that error. [img] When I try to launch the task scheduler...
  9. AU 1607: "Hinder" Cortana, speed-up computer?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    AU 1607: "Hinder" Cortana, speed-up computer?: I'm not a Cortana user on my desktop and would like to disable her, but as I have already updated to W10 1607, I understand that this can't happen on W10 Home. So I ask: If I follow these instructions (You can't turn off Cortana in the Windows 10 Anniversary Update |...
  10. A new glitch apparently due to AU 1607?

in Windows 10 Support
    A new glitch apparently due to AU 1607?: After installing AU 1607 and having a heck of a time trying to get Logitech's Setpoint 6.67.83 to install and get my TRB-22 to work - never did (see posts on Drivers and Hardware), I now had an interesting incident which may be or not be related to the AU install. Woke...