Windows 10: Windows 1703 pro and Windows Update for Business

Discus and support Windows 1703 pro and Windows Update for Business in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have a Windows 10 pro 1703 desktop and i found update options in Settings > Update & security > Windows Update > Advanced options to select... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by roy111, Aug 8, 2017.

1. roy111 Win User

Windows 1703 pro and Windows Update for Business

I have a Windows 10 pro 1703 desktop and i found update options in

Settings > Update & security > Windows Update > Advanced options

to select between

Configure devices for Current Branch (CB)

Current Branch for Business (CBB)

Device is on CB:
    DeferFeatureUpdatesPeriodinDays=30 Feature Update X is first publically available on Windows Update
    as a CB in January. Device will not receive update until February, 30 days later.

Device is on CBB:
    DeferFeatureUpdatesPeriodinDays=30 Feature Update X is first publically available
    on Windows Update as a CB in January. Four months later, in April,
    eature Update X is released to CBB. Device will receive the Feature Update 30 days
    following this CBB release and will update in May.

I found this feature would be really useful for my use case,

now the ultimate question is:

as a Windows 10 pro user am i entitled to use this "Windows Update for Business"
    or does this apply only to "volume license/corporate/enterprise" license?

thanks for your help.
    Roy.

:)

roy111, Aug 8, 2017
  2. tunepunk Win User

Pen issues after the Fall Creator update

If you use Win 10 pro. Go to settings > Update & Security. In windows update you can select advanced options. There you can choose current branch for business and defer feature updates up to 356 days. Changing those setting and 1703 will not update to 1709
    fall creators update for at least a year.

tunepunk, Aug 8, 2017
  3. How update to build 1703 from enterprise

Try this: What’s new for IT pros in the Windows 10 Creators Update

How, and when, can I obtain Windows 10, version 1703?

• Windows 10, version 1703 is available for download today from theMSDN Subscriptions Center (for Visual Studio/MSDN subscribers).
    Home, Pro, Education, and Enterprise SKUs are all available on MSDN

• You can download a free 90-day evaluation of Windows 10 Enterprise, version 1703 from theTechNet Evaluation Center.
    • If you have already deployed Windows 10, you can get the Windows 10, version 1703 update starting Tuesday, April 11th from Windows Update or Windows Update for Business.
    • If you have already deployed Windows 10 and use Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) and/or System Center Configuration Manager servicing plans, you can also get the Windows 10, version 1703 update on April 11th.
    • Windows 10, version 1703 will be available for download from theVolume Licensing Service Center (for Volume License customers) on May 1st.
    Windows 1703 pro and Windows Update for Business :D

5a5d6cb6-7934-4184-8f8b-e1d16573aa87, Aug 8, 2017
  4. Superfly Win User

Well.. CBB is for LTSB ... not sure how Pro gets it - Do you have a volume licence?

If you want feature updates then switch, dunno why that option is available tho'?

Superfly, Aug 8, 2017
  5. roy111 Win User
    I do not have volume lic only regular win 10 pro,
    the problem is I do not understand if i can use those settings or not ...

roy111, Aug 8, 2017
  6. Superfly Win User
    Oh, OK... but it's unusual - can you post a screenshot of winver and the win update advanced options?

Superfly, Aug 8, 2017
  7. roy111 Win User
    Sure :

Windows 1703 pro and Windows Update for Business [​IMG]

roy111, Aug 8, 2017
  8. Superfly Win User

Don't understand most of the Italian stuff but its seems you have the option to go CBB.. updting mine now to check... *Wink

Superfly, Aug 8, 2017
  9. roy111 Win User
    The italian stuff summarize what i posted in the first post,
    no need to install for you

roy111, Aug 8, 2017
  10. Superfly Win User
    LOL.. you have such a cool Italian personality..

Yup - you are all good ..still d/l'ng the msu ... :sigh:

Superfly, Aug 8, 2017
  11. roy111 Win User
    Do you mean that i am entitled to use the Current Branch for Business feature?

roy111, Aug 8, 2017
  12. Superfly Win User
    Yup.. if offered why not? ...

MS may have changed the forced updates that's all.. the "for Business" may change to something else for non-Business users.

Superfly, Aug 8, 2017
  13. roy111 Win User

Thanks Superfly for your help,

i'll wait a bit before marking as solved, you seems to be taking a guess more than
    actually knoing for sure if my license is actually entitled to use such feature;
    forgive my skepticism but there are so many windows 10 versions/updates that
    i'm honestly very confused.

If there is someone else that knows how the "Current Branch for Business"
    entitlement/availability works i kindly ask to step in or provide a microsoft
    doc/link to verify.

Thanks again, Roy.

roy111, Aug 9, 2017
  14. Bree New Member
    The choice between CB and CBB offered in Creators Update for Pro was available in previous versions too, it's just that Microsoft didn't make it clear what was going on. It was called 'Defer feature updates' in 1607, but it had exactly the same effect, it switched you to the CBB so that feature updates (ie. an upgrade to the next version) would be deferred unit that version was on CBB. Now they explicitly spell out how 'defer feature updates' works, that's all.

Overview of Windows as a service

Oh, and we'll all have to learn some new names shortly...
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...naming-changes

15. lx07 Win User
    As far as I can figure CBB doesn't exist - they have renamed it yet again.

This quote is from MS dated 2017-7-27 so who know what everything will be called next month but hopefully it may help some.

Overview of Windows as a service (Windows 10) | Microsoft Docs

Thema:

1. Windows 1703 pro and Windows Update for Business - Similar Threads - 1703 pro Update

2. Windows 10 PRO update to 20H2 from 1703

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 PRO update to 20H2 from 1703: Hi, I have windows 10 version 1703. I'm trying to upgrade to 20H2 using the update manager. After several minutes installation blocks and the following message is shown Italian. [ATTACH]I cannot find the error code explanation on internet. How could I solve this?...
  3. Failed update windows 1703

Failed update windows 1703: Hi there, I having an issue , i could not update my Windows 10. Currently running 1703, I tried this link from microsoft thread but no good , https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 Does microsoft have one single package to update old windows 10...
  4. Window 10 pro version 1703 offline update

Window 10 pro version 1703 offline update: Hi Microsoft How to manually update PCs with Window 10 pro, version 1703 and 1709 to version 1803 (64-bit operation system) without internet. Please provide the procedure and download links. Thanks and regards Myden Tse...
  5. Unable to upgrade from 1703 to 1709 Windows 10 Pro/Business

Unable to upgrade from 1703 to 1709 Windows 10 Pro/Business: Hi, I've two Dell Optiplex 3050 desktop machines that absolutely refuse to upgrade and it has reached the point where I'm out of things to try (and have wasted many weeks troubleshooting already!) Obviously this is a big issue with the HUGE download happening over, and...
  6. Windows 10 update 1703

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 update 1703: I found this update this morning. It has been "installing" now for 3 hours and sees to be in a loop where it shows Dowloading Updates, Preparing to install updates, then goes back to Downloading Updates. Is this a loop or wilI it complete? 91723
  7. Windows will not update beyond 1703

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows will not update beyond 1703: I was having trouble with a wesbite and after their review of my system. They stated that my computer is 8 years old and may need a Bios update (Ugh), device update(s) or a new computer. It has been working great for my needs (I am not a gamer-woe is me). Any ideas? I am...
  8. Windows 1703 update

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 1703 update: Ever since the 1703 update last week a bunch of unwanted changes have appeared on my computer. One change all my desktop Ions were scrambled. Ok, so I'll put tem back where they were. Not so easy. It seems even though I have the "align to grid" turned off it sill wont let me...
  9. Fails to update to windows 1703

Fails to update to windows 1703: Hello Bree suggested I should start a new thread............. My W10 updates all "offers" except for feature update to windows 10 version 1703? It has had several tries at updating it but fails each time, while other updates come in and are completed. As of 1/6/17 I'm on...
  10. Windows 1703 Update Problems

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 1703 Update Problems: I'll never learn! I either let Microsoft update my computers or I forced an update to 1703 on the others. So...now I have seven computers running W10 1703 and thought everything looked ok...but it ain't. I stumbled into the networking problem when a did a fresh install on one...