Windows 10: Windows 7 and 10 dual Boot Scenario question

Discus and support Windows 7 and 10 dual Boot Scenario question in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Here is what I am trying to accomplish 1. upgrade my win 7 pro 64bit install to win 10 LTSB 2. reinstall my present win 7 install from image back up... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by FrostyAMD, Oct 15, 2016.

1. FrostyAMD Win User

Windows 7 and 10 dual Boot Scenario question

Here is what I am trying to accomplish
    1. upgrade my win 7 pro 64bit install to win 10 LTSB
    2. reinstall my present win 7 install from image back up then change my key
    Reason for this is that I have lost a couple of install disks during a recent move. Need these 2 disks to reinstall my back up program and quick books installations
    already have split partition on SSD
    and bought new win7 key
    Can this be done and how???

:)

FrostyAMD, Oct 15, 2016

2. will i lose my genuine win 10 if i try to reinstall it after a year or so

Hi,

The qualifying OS as you indicated above is Windows 8.1. If you wanted to

run Windows 8.1 in dual/multi boot scenarios then you would need another

license other than the one you upgraded. Dual booting with Windows 7 is

fine since it was not the OS you used to upgrade to Windows 10.

At this point you can install Windows 7 and Windows 10 as you desire since

Windows 7 was not used to upgrade and a Windows 10 upgrade on that

hardware has already been performed. If you re-install Windows 8.1 then

you can't use Windows 10 while it is installed.

How to Dual Boot Windows 10 with Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1

https://www.windowsphoneinfo.com/threads/dual-boot-windows-10-with-windows-7-or-windows-8.8203/

Hope this helps.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rob Brown -
    Microsoft MVP
    <- profile - Windows Experience : Bicycle - Mark Twain said it right.

SpiritX MS MVP, Oct 15, 2016
  3. Alan B Win User
    can i get product key?

I thought the first answer was 'No'.

But with regard to dual-boot you are allowed to Upgrade to Windows 10 then go back to your previous qualifying version of Windows (7 in my case) then back to 10 then back to 7 continuing ad infinitum as things stand. So I could keep an image which I potentially
    could restore very quickly to go to either version of Windows and that is allowed. Yet dual-booting, you say, is not allowed? That doesn't really make sense. And Microsoft cannot possibly tell the difference between the two scenarios.

Alan B, Oct 15, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, the problem here is that officially the free upgrade period to Win 10 is over. So I'm just wondering why you bought a Win 7 key rather than a Win 10 key? Or has your PC previously had Win 10 installed on it? In which case you could simply clean install Win 10.

dalchina, Oct 15, 2016
  5. fulo Win User
    My HP M8400f is dual Win7 Pro 32 bit and Win 10 pro 64 bit. The disks crashed (dropped box) and I restored from 3 day old image. Both sides said the were not activated. Activated 7 pro with it's key. 10 pro would not activate with key saved from "showkeyplus". I had been 7 pro 64 bit and I was able to reactivate the 10 pro 64 side with the 7 pro 64 key. All running OK now.

hth

6. FrostyAMD Win User
    I have a W10 LTSB VLSC thru employer want to install it with my already installed apps from win 7. Just wanted know if the scenario was possible and how I would go about accomplishing iit

FrostyAMD, Oct 15, 2016
  7. fulo Win User
    Frosty: Mine started as Vista Home 32. I added a disk and installed 7 Pro 64 as clean upgrade on disk 2, keeping Vista 32 on disk 1. The 7 disk upgraded to 10 pro. After Vista support dropped, I upgraded disk 1 to 7 pro 32 using a different key. Being over 70, I do drop things. I did build my first computer from parts almost 40 yrs ago.

hth

8. FrostyAMD Win User

I just need some help here.

FrostyAMD, Oct 15, 2016
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    I would suggest you go to Windows 7 Help Forums and ask about changing the Windows 7 product key. There might be some here who still would remember enough or have Windows 7 to help with that part, but I haven't used Windows 7 in so long and don't have anything with Windows 7 installed, I can't help.

As far was Windows 7 to Windows 10 upgrade. You can start the upgrade by either mounting the Windows 10 ISO in Windows 7 (using a program such as WinISO) or inserting a Windows 10 installation USB flash drive or DVD. Then from within Windows 7, run setup.exe from the virtual DVD (mounted ISO file), USB flash drive or physical DVD. You should still get a good activation, and then you can try to change the Windows 10 product key to the LTSB product key - but you don't really have to.

Then restore the Windows 7 image to it's partition, add it to the boot menu in Windows 10, and then change the product key in Windows 7.

NavyLCDR, Oct 15, 2016
  10. FrostyAMD Win User
    I know how to change product key. Was thinking I would change that first the let LTSB run upgrade. Then go back and reinstall my image file which contains my original product key. Was jus wondering what if any gothcha's I might encounter.
    Thank you for your helpful response.

FrostyAMD, Oct 15, 2016
  11. Kari Win User
    That is impossible. No edition of Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 can be upgraded to Windows 10 LTSB editions.

12. FrostyAMD Win User
    The setup screen gives you the option to upgrade your present os. This I have seen and am going to try to see if it will. But first I'm trying to cover all bases before proceeding. also allows you to custom (clean)install . Tried that and it works. Just need to to see if it will upgrade my present install.

FrostyAMD, Oct 16, 2016
  13. Kari Win User

Quote from Windows 10 upgrade paths (Windows 10):

The page has been updated on October 4th.

14. FrostyAMD Win User
    hmm.. well may not be possible to do what I want plan to try it in the morning and see what happens.

FrostyAMD, Oct 16, 2016
  15. NavyLCDR New Member
    Why is it so important to upgrade to Windows 10 LTSB? Wouldn't Windows 10 Pro be good enough?

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 7 and 10 dual Boot Scenario question - Similar Threads - dual Boot Scenario

2. Dual boot question 7-10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual boot question 7-10: Hello, I thought it might be a good idea to make a dual boot system,so I can gradually tweak my system to upgrade to W10. But... Can I "tweak"all installed programs so they work under w10 and under w7? 135753
  3. Windows 10 Downgrade Scenario - Questions

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Downgrade Scenario - Questions: I upgraded to Windows 10 on July 30th from Win7. Before I did I cloned my Win7 disk to another spare drive. Yesterday I accidently booted into that drive and Windows tried to upgrade that drive (and failed) or so says the Windows Update Log. So here's the question... If I...
  4. dual ( 7 / 10 ) boot question

dual ( 7 / 10 ) boot question: i'm building a new windows 10 desktop to replace current windows 7 desktop but since all my software is only guaranteed to run on 7 i plan to build the new desktop as a dual boot ( 10 + 7 ) first and then eventually ( in a year or two ) convert to 10 only. i haven't...
  5. Windows 10 Install UEFI and Windows 7 Dual boot Question

Windows 10 Install UEFI and Windows 7 Dual boot Question: Just wondering if I Install windows 10 on UEFI to my Samsung 950 Pro ssd,is there a way to keep my other 2 mbr partitions dual boot windows 7's on my pc and convert the 2 win 7's somehow to UEFI.Just wondering if it can be done or is my dual boot 7's gone. 72462
  6. Dual Boot question (7 and 10)

Dual Boot question (7 and 10): I have Windows 7, and want to try Windows 10. But I want to set up a dual boot, in case some of my old software doesn't work with Windows 10. This forum has lots of good info on how to do this, but I'm still fuzzy on a couple details. Here's my question: If I create a new...
  7. Reinstalling Windows 7 on 7/10 dual boot breaks dual boot

Reinstalling Windows 7 on 7/10 dual boot breaks dual boot: I installed the 10 tech preview along side my win 7 ultimate, I reinstalled, the Windows 7 side of the HDD because after however many years the OS had a LOT of clutter, and even though windows update was a nightmare I finally got all the updates installed and only the...
  8. Questions about dual boot with Windows 10 and Windows 7

Questions about dual boot with Windows 10 and Windows 7: Hello TenForums, first post from a forum lurker new to Windows 10. I've been using Windows 7 Home for years and found Sevenforums very helpful just like this forum. I have read this thread and other tutorials about this topic on other sites/blogs and still have a few question...
  9. Windows 10/7 dual boot question - key

Windows 10/7 dual boot question - key: hi guys I apologize if this is covered elsewhere, I could not find the exact answer to my question. Both my laptop and desktop have windows 7, different versions. Both have the upgrade ready for them. I want to dual boot win7 and 10 for a while, likely will fully...
  10. Dual Boot Scenario - Would this work?

in Windows 10 Support
    Dual Boot Scenario - Would this work?: I’m running an upgraded Win10 (from Win7) and am pretty happy with it now – except for one device not working (Prolific USB to Serial adapter) which I only use occasionally. So I was wondering if this would be feasible….create a dual boot scenario and roll one back to...